Reverse Air Conditioning to spin a generator

trevorjohnson83

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
I was just pondering on the idea of using a cooling system in reverse to convert a hot liquid into the useful energy by spinning the compressor motor. I was thinking rather then use the refridgerant liquid they use maybe using some sort of liquid that expands under heat pressure and the pressure from the expansion of that fluid could be used to spin the compressor motor and at the same time a generator. Most liquids expand under heat except water. Does anyone know of an optimal liquid that could be used? Also I feel like this idea of reverse air conditioning could be used in the winter to warm a house using the refridgerants that they already use. Anyone have any knowledge they could share to expand on this idea?

I was just pondering on the idea of using a cooling system in reverse to convert a hot liquid into the useful energy by spinning the compressor motor. I was thinking rather then use the refridgerant liquid they use maybe using some sort of liquid that expands under heat pressure and the pressure from the expansion of that fluid could be used to spin the compressor motor and at the same time a generator. Most liquids expand under heat except water. Does anyone know of an optimal liquid that could be used? Also I feel like this idea of reverse air conditioning could be used in the winter to warm a house using the refridgerants that they already use. Anyone have any knowledge they could share to expand on this idea?
Sounds interesting. You could almost call something like that a heat pump, couldn't you?

Sounds interesting. You could almost call something like that a heat pump, couldn't you?

Heat pump is energy hog and can be damaged in the wintertime which is why I stopped using mine to save money on my power bill in the winter.

Acquaint yourself with the way heat pumps work.

And then when you grasp that concept, think of energy loss when one form of energy is converted to another.

Unfortunately there's noting useful in your idea, but it's commendable in any case because it's constructive thinking!

Did you know that some heat pumps are over 300% efficient?

Heat pump is energy hog and can be damaged in the wintertime which is why I stopped using mine to save money on my power bill in the winter.
You're very misinformed when you say that a heat pump is an energy hog.

I was thinking liquid mercury like in thermometers expands under heat. could that not be used in the reverse AC concept? This idea would be practical in power plants that use cooling pools for waste that are very hot.

I've been running geothermal heat pumps for almost 40 years without problems. If yours are defective or not installed correctly can be energy hogs.

I was thinking liquid mercury like in thermometers expands under heat. could that not be used in the reverse AC concept? This idea would be practical in power plants that use cooling pools for waste that are very hot.
As an earlier poster said, converting one form of energy to another entails loss. That being said there are experimental energy systems that use the properties of temperature differential to drive turbines.

Electricity from the ocean depths could power entire islands

do heat pumps work on the same concept as described in the OP?
Heat pumps work on the same principle as your refrigerator. In fact it could be called a heat pump.
You need to devote a bit of time to reading and understanding the link I provided.

Heat pumps work on the same principle as your refrigerator. In fact it could be called a heat pump.
You need to devote a bit of time to reading and understanding the link I provided.
I don't see any link you have provided could you kindly post it again

do heat pumps work on the same concept as described in the OP?
In an AC system there is a vapor side of the system that collects indoor heat and a liquid side that gives up that heat outside. A heat pump has the capability to reverse this system so that it collects heat from outside and gives it up indoors.

What expands more than mercury?

Alcohol expands more than mercury because of its low density and volatile nature. Mercury thermometers have the advantage of being small and compact due to its low expansion. Mercury thermometers can be used to measure higher temperature than alcohol thermometers because of its high boiling point.

I use a dometic propane/electric fridge that uses amonia as the refrigerant. Anyhow the top outside coil generates heat. While the inside is cold. It generates enough heat to be used in the winter and annoying in the summer. I have a vent to switch it from outside to inside. In the winter though, significant source of heat

Steam Engine - uses the energy of a liquid expanding to form a gas and can be used to turn an electric generator.
Heat pump/air conditioner - uses the Freon to cool a house during warm weather and heat a house during cold weather.

In an AC system there is a vapor side of the system that collects indoor heat and a liquid side that gives up that heat outside. A heat pump has the capability to reverse this system so that it collects heat from outside and gives it up indoors.
To eliminate the confusion that will cause, you need to explain that there is heat outside even when the temperature is 0 Fahrenheit. Explain heat and lack of heat.

There will be entertainment value in the denial!

Forum List

Back