Rightwingers: what do you think of Bernie's plan for free tuition?

Yes they do.....why do you think these guys raise tuition....they get huge salaries as adminstrators...
If it became fully government funded, that wouldn't be a problem.
"Germany's universities are recognised internationally; in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) for 2008, six of the top 100 universities in the world are in Germany, and 18 of the top 200.[30] Most of the German universities are public institutions, charging tuition fees of only around €60 per semester for each student.[31][32] Thus, academic education is open to most citizens and studying is very common in Germany. Although the dual education system, that combines practical and theoretical educations and does not lead to academic degrees, is more popular than anywhere else in the world - while it is a role model for other countries.[33]"

Are you ready to be taxed at the German rates? Remember we are 19 trillion in debt already
"The rate of income tax in Germany ranges from 0% to 45%. The German income tax is a progressive tax, which means that the average tax rate (i.e., the ratio of tax and taxable income) increases monotonically with increasing taxable income. Moreover, the German taxation system warrants that an increase in taxable income never results in a decrease of the net income after taxation. The latter property is due to the fact that the marginal tax rate (i.e., the tax paid on one euro additional taxable income) is always below 100%."
Sounds good to me, higher taxes on the rich are needed anyways.

how many people in Germany? How many in poverty? how many on welfare? how many illegal aliens does germany have?

its an apples and oranges comparison
80 million people, it would help our poverty if we had affordable college by the way, welfare is only so prevalent because of low wages and a rising cost of living, people can't afford college, we need to fix that. It's a fair comparison, the taxation system germany uses is applicable here/

No...tuition goes up because government loans have increased........
No there is no evidence of that. These are non profit institutions. They don't benefit from jacking up tuition costs. Besides, Pell grants only go to poor students.

Yes they do.....why do you think these guys raise tuition....they get huge salaries as adminstrators...

WHERE WOULD THE MONEY COME FROM? THE COUNTRY IS 19 TRILLION IN DEBT. WE ARE BORROWING 40 CENTS OF EVERY DOLLAR THE GOVT SPENDS-------------AND YOU WANT FREE COLLEGE FOR EVERYONE?????????????????? WTF ?
You people are so goddamn thick. The money would come from a tax on Wall Street speculation. That isn't borrowing. You know that right?

capital gains are already taxed. If you increase the tax on investment how will new businesses get the money to start up?

Oh I know, just tax the evil rich and the evil corporations---------right, idiot?

"Germany's universities are recognised internationally; in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) for 2008, six of the top 100 universities in the world are in Germany, and 18 of the top 200.[30] Most of the German universities are public institutions, charging tuition fees of only around €60 per semester for each student.[31][32] Thus, academic education is open to most citizens and studying is very common in Germany. Although the dual education system, that combines practical and theoretical educations and does not lead to academic degrees, is more popular than anywhere else in the world - while it is a role model for other countries.[33]"

Are you ready to be taxed at the German rates? Remember we are 19 trillion in debt already
"The rate of income tax in Germany ranges from 0% to 45%. The German income tax is a progressive tax, which means that the average tax rate (i.e., the ratio of tax and taxable income) increases monotonically with increasing taxable income. Moreover, the German taxation system warrants that an increase in taxable income never results in a decrease of the net income after taxation. The latter property is due to the fact that the marginal tax rate (i.e., the tax paid on one euro additional taxable income) is always below 100%."

how many people in Germany? How many in poverty? how many on welfare? how many illegal aliens does germany have?

80 million people, it would help our poverty if we had affordable college by the way, welfare is only so prevalent because of low wages and a rising cost of living, people can't afford college, we need to fix that. It's a fair comparison, the taxation system germany uses is applicable here/

I'm really sorry, its Sunday and I try to be nice on Sunday. But you are just too stupid to have this discussion.

No there is no evidence of that. These are non profit institutions. They don't benefit from jacking up tuition costs. Besides, Pell grants only go to poor students.

WHERE WOULD THE MONEY COME FROM? THE COUNTRY IS 19 TRILLION IN DEBT. WE ARE BORROWING 40 CENTS OF EVERY DOLLAR THE GOVT SPENDS-------------AND YOU WANT FREE COLLEGE FOR EVERYONE?????????????????? WTF ?
You assume we can't spend anything if we're in debt or some moronic nonsense. Reallocate funds, raise taxes, tax exchanges, etc, etc.. More skilled workers benefits the economy, college helps produce them.

Which programs would you cut and who would you raise taxes on? remember you need to cut the federal budget or increase revenue by 40% just to break even
Defense spending, adopt a more progressive tax system, close loop holes, taxation on wall street workings, stop imperialist ventures, etc..

You people are so goddamn thick. The money would come from a tax on Wall Street speculation. That isn't borrowing. You know that right?

capital gains are already taxed. If you increase the tax on investment how will new businesses get the money to start up?

Oh I know, just tax the evil rich and the evil corporations---------right, idiot?
"this legislation would impose a speculation fee on Wall Street investment houses and hedge funds,"

Read more: Bernie Sanders debt-free college plan - Business Insider"

I'm really sorry, its Sunday and I try to be nice on Sunday. But you are just too stupid to have this discussion.
Seriously? Name one thing wrong with my statement.

Progressive taxation is the only viable way to pay for our government's expenses. You can call it unfair if you want, but the viability is what matters.

There is no such thing as free tuition. Someone has to pay for it. Sorry libs, but even those far left professors expect to be paid.
Maybe we should be looking at other countries, such as germany, they do it well.

If you want to fund all colleges with tax revenue, fine. But then how do we decide who gets to go to college and which one they get to go to? Who gets to go to Harvard and who goes to a state school?

If we base it on test scores and grades, we may not get a PC enrollment. Too many asians, not enough blacks, etc.

on that topic, does anyone know how obama paid his Harvard tuition?
What do you mean? Countries with public institutions generally are better for the students, nothing is perfect.

What is all the Harvard students are asians? Would the left be OK with that? Wouldn't they cry discrimination?

none of this is as easy as you libs think it is.

Of course it is, you steal from the productive to give to the nonproductive.

Seriously? Name one thing wrong with my statement.
Lol you're new to the board David. This is how these people are on here. Welcome to USMB.

No...tuition goes up because government loans have increased........

Define "Wall Street speculation" and tell us how much money is made from it and exactly who's doing it.

There is no such thing as free tuition. Someone has to pay for it. Sorry libs, but even those far left professors expect to be paid.
Maybe we should be looking at other countries, such as germany, they do it well.

If you want to fund all colleges with tax revenue, fine. But then how do we decide who gets to go to college and which one they get to go to? Who gets to go to Harvard and who goes to a state school?

If we base it on test scores and grades, we may not get a PC enrollment. Too many asians, not enough blacks, etc.

What do you mean? Countries with public institutions generally are better for the students, nothing is perfect.

What is all the Harvard students are asians? Would the left be OK with that? Wouldn't they cry discrimination?

So making sure students can go to college without worry of crippling debt is stealing from the productive? Who are the "productive" anyways? Hedge fund managers?

Define "Wall Street speculation" and tell us how much money is made from it and exactly who's doing it.
Speculation - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
"How small? Really, really small. A bill co-introduced by Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., calls for a tax of 0.03 percent – that's 30 cents per $1,000. Yet even at that exceedingly modest level, a Wall Street speculation tax (also known as a financial transaction tax or FTT) would generate more than $350 billion over the coming decade, according to a non-partisan analysis of similar legislation introduced in 2012."

Progressive taxation is the only viable way to pay for our government's expenses. You can call it unfair if you want, but the viability is what matters.
What is the alternate proposal? Punish those in poverty?

What I chose to not acknowledge is your premise that throwing more money at education would somehow result in any tangible benefit.

The US already spends more money than any country on earth and has some of the poorest test scores for the students. Tons more money won't change that.

Anybody that wants to go to college can pretty much get a college degree nowadays. It isn't hard to do. All "free" tuition would do is water down the college degree to be next to worthless.

Besides, a tremendous number of shitheads in the country would use the freebie to hide from work and responsibility and the money would be wasted. Then you have the tons of worthless degrees that have no real market value.

Of course there is the simple concept of fairness. The government should never take money from one person and give it to another. That is thievery.

The money that given to the college student would be taken out of the productive economy and result in less jobs, economic growth and investments. .

"Free" college tuition is probably one of the worst "investments" the filthy ass bloated, debt ridden, corrupt, out of control government could ever make.

If you want to go to college pay for it yourself. I did.
Throwing money at education is the ONLY way to improve it. The problem with public school performance in this country can be attributed to a variety of reasons, one of those is poor utilization of the money spent. I'm not suggesting we throw more money at lower education, but cutting it would be a horrible idea.

Higher education is a very separate issue. It lacks compared to the rest of the world because of how poorly funded it is. Tuition hikes result because of poor government investment.

The government "invests" more than ever in college funding.
That's why things are more fucked up than ever.
No it doesn't. That's a lie.

Historically, states have provided a far greater amount of assistance to postsecondary institutions and students; 65 percent more than the federal government on average from 1987 to 2012. But this difference narrowed dramatically in recent years, particularly since the Great Recession, as state spending declined and federal investments grew sharply, largely driven by increases in the Pell Grant program, a need-based financial aid program that is the biggest component of federal higher education spending.

View attachment 46919

View attachment 46920

View attachment 46921

View attachment 46922

Federal and State Funding of Higher Education A Changing Landscape

LOL!
Lol I know you cons have a serious deficit with critical thinking skills, but try and keep up will you? Your first graph refers to federal funding in terms of Pell grants and state funding of research. Not only are Pell grands targeted to ONLY poor students and NOT the institutions themselves, but it has barely risen sharply. The most critical federal funding goes to tuition and that has dropped over the years. That is what has been lacking. That is why tuition has been going up. All of this state funding varies greatly by state. The red shithole or MS for example, lacks both proper state and federal funding.

Your first graph refers to federal funding in terms of Pell grants and state funding of research. Not only are Pell grands targeted to ONLY poor students and NOT the institutions themselves, but it has barely risen sharply.

Looks like $15 billion in 2008, over $30 billion now. I guess a double in 7 years isn't a sharp rise when you consider the poor math skills you possess. LOL!

Moron, try to keep up.

Really, do you plan to abolish the 14th Amendment?

Throwing money at education is the ONLY way to improve it. The problem with public school performance in this country can be attributed to a variety of reasons, one of those is poor utilization of the money spent. I'm not suggesting we throw more money at lower education, but cutting it would be a horrible idea.

Higher education is a very separate issue. It lacks compared to the rest of the world because of how poorly funded it is. Tuition hikes result because of poor government investment.

The government "invests" more than ever in college funding.
That's why things are more fucked up than ever.
No it doesn't. That's a lie.

Historically, states have provided a far greater amount of assistance to postsecondary institutions and students; 65 percent more than the federal government on average from 1987 to 2012. But this difference narrowed dramatically in recent years, particularly since the Great Recession, as state spending declined and federal investments grew sharply, largely driven by increases in the Pell Grant program, a need-based financial aid program that is the biggest component of federal higher education spending.

View attachment 46919

View attachment 46920

View attachment 46921

View attachment 46922

Federal and State Funding of Higher Education A Changing Landscape

LOL!
Lol I know you cons have a serious deficit with critical thinking skills, but try and keep up will you? Your first graph refers to federal funding in terms of Pell grants and state funding of research. Not only are Pell grands targeted to ONLY poor students and NOT the institutions themselves, but it has barely risen sharply. The most critical federal funding goes to tuition and that has dropped over the years. That is what has been lacking. That is why tuition has been going up. All of this state funding varies greatly by state. The red shithole or MS for example, lacks both proper state and federal funding.

Your first graph refers to federal funding in terms of Pell grants and state funding of research. Not only are Pell grands targeted to ONLY poor students and NOT the institutions themselves, but it has barely risen sharply.

Looks like $15 billion in 2008, over $30 billion now. I guess a double in 7 years isn't a sharp rise when you consider the poor math skills you possess. LOL!

Moron, try to keep up.
Pell grants are only targeted at poor students, it's a wonder they're increased thanks to rising college costs. You're the moron.

Really, do you plan to abolish the 14th Amendment?
What the hell does the 14th amendment have to do with anything?

So making sure students can go to college without worry of crippling debt is stealing from the productive? Who are the "productive" anyways? Hedge fund managers?

Do you have a 401K? If you do, you would be the one getting taxed.

Forum List

Back