Rightwingers: what do you think of Bernie's plan for free tuition?

The estimated cost per year for the government providing free tuition would be about 60 billion. Bernie would place a tax on Wall Street speculation to pay for it.

Now before you all go into your rants about "liberal free lunch bullshit derp, derp, derp!" you should consider WHY this is a great idea. This isn't about giving individuals hand outs, this is about how higher education benefits the country as a whole. Plenty of intelligent people who cannot afford to go to college or are discouraged by the massive student debt that they would accumulate choose not to attend. Imagine the implications if we had an influx of people getting degrees in science, public policy, or business administration. Don't you think those educated people would bring a great deal of contribution to this country?

We just want everything for gad damn. Jesus Christ! We can't get enough free shit from the government.

Do you have a 401K? If you do, you would be the one getting taxed.
How does taxing wall street speculation affect 401k's?

The tax would apply every time a stock is bought or sold, if you think the stocks in a 401K are never traded you delusional.
So a TINY tax to help americans get affordable college is a doomsay scenario?

The doomsday scenario is you people are never satisfied, there is not enough money in the world to pay for your pie in the sky fantasies.
That's your response? Affordable college isn't a fantasy, much like universal healthcare or guaranteed maternity leave for all workers.

That is true because millions of people have been going to college for years have been paying for it themselves. It's it suppose to be so unaffordable yet people manage to afford it. How about go fuck your free self in the ass.

How does taxing wall street speculation affect 401k's?

The tax would apply every time a stock is bought or sold, if you think the stocks in a 401K are never traded you delusional.
So a TINY tax to help americans get affordable college is a doomsay scenario?

The doomsday scenario is you people are never satisfied, there is not enough money in the world to pay for your pie in the sky fantasies.
That's your response? Affordable college isn't a fantasy, much like universal healthcare or guaranteed maternity leave for all workers.

That is true because millions of people have been going to college for years have been paying for it themselves. It's it suppose to be so unaffordable yet people manage to afford it. How about go fuck your free self in the ass.
Jesus man, there is 1 trillion+ in student debt, yeah, people go, usually having to deal with debt. Poor people have it the worst.

WHERE WOULD THE MONEY COME FROM? THE COUNTRY IS 19 TRILLION IN DEBT. WE ARE BORROWING 40 CENTS OF EVERY DOLLAR THE GOVT SPENDS-------------AND YOU WANT FREE COLLEGE FOR EVERYONE?????????????????? WTF ?
You people are so goddamn thick. The money would come from a tax on Wall Street speculation. That isn't borrowing. You know that right?

Define "Wall Street speculation" and tell us how much money is made from it and exactly who's doing it.
Speculation - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
"How small? Really, really small. A bill co-introduced by Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., calls for a tax of 0.03 percent – that's 30 cents per $1,000. Yet even at that exceedingly modest level, a Wall Street speculation tax (also known as a financial transaction tax or FTT) would generate more than $350 billion over the coming decade, according to a non-partisan analysis of similar legislation introduced in 2012."

So you want to tax every person in America that are saving for retirement using a 401K, ripping off the middle class to pay for unmotivated people who won't work to pay their own way.
Jesus christ, a 0.03 percent tax on speculation would not rip out any noticeable amount from 401k's, and it sickens me that someone would say anyone who can't afford college is unmotivated.

What are you getting paid to post this crap here? Motivated people find a way to realize their dreams, the unmotivated find others to blame for their failure. You want to give them money, go for it, don't look to me to voluntarily give them mine.

Really, do you plan to abolish the 14th Amendment?
What the hell does the 14th amendment have to do with anything?

Equal treatment under the law, tell me, where does the government get the authority to tax one piece of property differently from another of equal value?
By this line, we've been breaking that amendment for centuries, luckily, the constitution is flexible, and progressive taxation is a logical solution that works.

Great deflection, you'll fit right in here. Now you want the answer the question?
Not a deflection, tax rates have been different throughout history with the rich paying more then the poor man, if that violates the 14th amendment, then so be it. I don't care.

Still didn't answer the question. Go away child.

You people are so goddamn thick. The money would come from a tax on Wall Street speculation. That isn't borrowing. You know that right?

Define "Wall Street speculation" and tell us how much money is made from it and exactly who's doing it.
"How small? Really, really small. A bill co-introduced by Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., calls for a tax of 0.03 percent – that's 30 cents per $1,000. Yet even at that exceedingly modest level, a Wall Street speculation tax (also known as a financial transaction tax or FTT) would generate more than $350 billion over the coming decade, according to a non-partisan analysis of similar legislation introduced in 2012."

So you want to tax every person in America that are saving for retirement using a 401K, ripping off the middle class to pay for unmotivated people who won't work to pay their own way.
Jesus christ, a 0.03 percent tax on speculation would not rip out any noticeable amount from 401k's, and it sickens me that someone would say anyone who can't afford college is unmotivated.

What are you getting paid to post this crap here? Motivated people find a way to realize their dreams, the unmotivated find others to blame for their failure. You want to give them money, go for it, don't look to me to voluntarily give them mine.
I am not getting paid by anybody, that doesn't even make sense, sounds like a desperate lash. Oh, ok, I'll just tell my dad whose shoulders are out thanks to doing roofing/construction all of his life that he just needs to get motivated, he couldn't afford college and needed to support his family, is he unmotivated due to this? Everyone has there different scenarios, millions are poor, the price of college is outrageous, I can only imagine nothing changes in 10 years and people are still defending the prices, when fewer and fewer people go without criplling debt. It won't be voluntary, taxes bitch. Sorry, time to engage in some partisan horse shit.

What the hell does the 14th amendment have to do with anything?

Equal treatment under the law, tell me, where does the government get the authority to tax one piece of property differently from another of equal value?
By this line, we've been breaking that amendment for centuries, luckily, the constitution is flexible, and progressive taxation is a logical solution that works.

Great deflection, you'll fit right in here. Now you want the answer the question?
Not a deflection, tax rates have been different throughout history with the rich paying more then the poor man, if that violates the 14th amendment, then so be it. I don't care.

I just did
"The Taxing and Spending Clause[1] (which contains provisions known as the General Welfare Clause[2] and the Uniformity Clause[3]), Article I,Section 8, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution, grants the federal government of the United States its power of taxation. While authorizing Congress to levy taxes, this clause permits the levying of taxes for two purposes only: to pay the debts of the United States, and to provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States. Taken together, these purposes have traditionally been held to imply and to constitute the federal government's taxing and spending power.[4]"

I am not getting paid by anybody, that doesn't even make sense, sounds like a desperate lash. Oh, ok, I'll just tell my dad whose shoulders are out thanks to doing roofing/construction all of his life that he just needs to get motivated, he couldn't afford college and needed to support his family, is he unmotivated due to this? Everyone has there different scenarios, millions are poor, the price of college is outrageous, I can only imagine nothing changes in 10 years and people are still defending the prices, when fewer and fewer people go without criplling debt. It won't be voluntary, taxes bitch. Sorry, time to engage in some partisan horse shit.

Fuck you asshole, I've been paying higher income and property taxes all my life to support other peoples kids. You want them to go to college, unass your own money and keep your hands off mine. How about you tax the trillions in endowments colleges are sitting on and leave the working folks alone.

Fuck you asshole, I've been paying higher income and property taxes all my life to support other peoples kids. You want them to go to college, unass your own money and keep your hands off mine. How about you tax the trillions in endowments colleges are sitting on and leave the working folks alone.
What the hell? Poor people work you know, most of the time, it's hard to get a full time job without a college degree, which happens to cost a lot of money that's hard to get from a part time MW job. Oh shit. Think about it.

I just did
"The Taxing and Spending Clause[1] (which contains provisions known as the General Welfare Clause[2] and the Uniformity Clause[3]), Article I,Section 8, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution, grants the federal government of the United States its power of taxation. While authorizing Congress to levy taxes, this clause permits the levying of taxes for two purposes only: to pay the debts of the United States, and to provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States. Taken together, these purposes have traditionally been held to imply and to constitute the federal government's taxing and spending power.[4]"

Exactly, the general welfare of the United States, how that is to be accomplished is itemized in the remainder of Article 1, Section 8. Guess what hero, giving money to individuals for anything other than providing services to the government of the United States ain't in there.

And no even this does not answer the question.

What the hell? Poor people work you know, most of the time, it's hard to get a full time job without a college degree, which happens to cost a lot of money that's hard to get from a part time MW job. Oh shit. Think about it.

Bullshit, I've worked full time jobs all my life without college.

I just did

Exactly, the general welfare of the United States, how that is to be accomplished is itemized in the remainder of Article 1, Section 8. Guess what hero, giving money to individuals for anything other than providing services to the government of the United States ain't in there.
Making sure all americans have access to higher education is a noble thing to do.

Lucky for you, the reality is, it's hard to find a full time job without a college degree, and businesses hire part time to avoid benefits. Your personal experience means nothing.

I just did

Making sure all americans have access to higher education is a noble thing to do.

They do, all they have to do is earn it.

I just did

Jesus christ, it could be like the movie elysium and you idiots would probably be spouting that the people on the ground just need to earn there way into the space station. Oh, yeah, 1 trillion+ in student debt, rising textbook/tuition costs, stagnant wages, families to take care of.. You can get scholarships for full rides in high school and such, but only a minority get this, they're limited.

Lucky for you, the reality is, it's hard to find a full time job without a college degree, and businesses hire part time to avoid benefits. Your personal experience means nothing.

Sure it's hard to find any job when you've done nothing to get marketable skills, halfassing your way through high school or dropping out won't get ya there. I had a full time job with benefits before I graduated from high school, just with what I chose to study there. Only worked one part time job since, and that was a second job to earn some extra money.

Sure it's hard to find any job when you've done nothing to get marketable skills, halfassing your way through high school or dropping out won't get ya there. I had a full time job with benefits before I graduated from high school, just with what I chose to study there. Only worked one part time job since, and that was a second job to earn some extra money.
Of course, the typical right wing line of thought, "I got mine in a completely different time, let's apply those same conditions and assume everyone has an equal chance!" Ah, no. Socio-economic conditions are different for every single person. Half assing through high school? Some kids will be kids and act crazy and such, some are poor and can't get good school supplies/have no internet access, some have to work while doing high school and cant handle the stress but have no choice, so many different individual things that can occur, and you want to tell me that everyone who can't afford college is a half assed loser? Congratulations, what year was this?

I just did

Jesus christ, it could be like the movie elysium and you idiots would probably be spouting that the people on the ground just need to earn there way into the space station. Oh, yeah, 1 trillion+ in student debt, rising textbook/tuition costs, stagnant wages, families to take care of.. You can get scholarships for full rides in high school and such, but only a minority get this, they're limited.

Cry me a river. Do you need a quarter so you can call someone who gives a damn? And I have no idea what you're talking about with your obscure movie reference.

Yes, Pell grants are part of total government spending on college.
Spending that has increased a lot lately.
Pell grants ONLY help poor students afford college, that is it, they rise because the cost of college keeps going up with no signs of stopping.

Yes, Pell grants are part of total government spending on college.
Spending that has increased a lot lately.
I know, but pell grants are not affecting college prices, What's your point? Cut pell grants to fuck poor students?

My point is the government is spending more on college. You disagree?
Not at all.

The article I excerpted up thread disagrees with you.

Federal and State Funding of Higher Education A Changing Landscape

Not included is the increase in government loans for college.

I just did

Cry me a river. Do you need a quarter so you can call someone who gives a damn? And I have no idea what you're talking about with your obscure movie reference.
Elysium is a movie where all of the rich move to a space station thanks to earth being destroyed by their actions, they live there and continually blame the poorest stuck on earth, the majority, who rise up and take the space station.

Forum List

Back