RIP Toni Morrison...obama:"Toni Morrison was a national treasure"

The New York Times put it this way:
A writer who bent language to her will
Most ghetto dwellers do the same.

"ghetto dweller"?
"affirmative action author"?

You people are insane. You don't win the Nobel Prize for literature and the Pulitzer Prize for fiction because of affirmative action or by being a ghetto dweller.

I get that her writing is not your cup of tea. (being in books and all) But these remarks are beneath contempt.

Look, goon, if you don't like her novels and don't like what she had to say, what in hell are you still doing here?
Go fuck yourself.
If she were white, would you people still be fawning all over this "national treasure"?

If she were as good a writer, yes.

Look, goon, if you don't like her novels and don't like what she had to say, what in hell are you still doing here?
Go fuck yourself.
If she were white, would you people still be fawning all over this "national treasure"?
It isn't about her color. Except to you, apparently.

"ghetto dweller"?
"affirmative action author"?

You people are insane. You don't win the Nobel Prize for literature and the Pulitzer Prize for fiction because of affirmative action or by being a ghetto dweller.

I get that her writing is not your cup of tea. (being in books and all) But these remarks are beneath contempt.
Thanks, Winterborn. I believe you and I may be the only two people on this board who have read her, which seems a little odd considering all her novels were best sellers. Maybe people highly interested in politics aren't into fiction or something.

"Toni Morrison’s writing called America to understand the consequences of slavery and segregation, and challenged the world to wrestle with what it means to be beautiful and beloved. Like millions, I am better for having learned from her exquisite understanding of humanity." - Mayor Pete

Go fuck yourself.

If she were as good a writer, yes.
Well, a white writer would not write what she wrote. LOL

Personally, she seems as inaccessible as Faulkner, and that isn't meant as a dis. I read Beloved, and for me that was enough. I hadn't picked up Faulkner until my church reading group pimped him. I get it, but I don't have to agree with remembering all of it, esp when it's not my baggage..

One of America's first and most overrated Affirmative Action authors.

You ever actually READ one of her books?
I'd think that Morrison would sort of be the antithesis of affirm action. She sought equality, and pretty much earned it, but not through "assimilating" her message. Just the opposite.

She and Updike are probably "it" for American fiction of the Boomer years.

"Toni Morrison’s writing called America to understand the consequences of slavery and segregation, and challenged the world to wrestle with what it means to be beautiful and beloved. Like millions, I am better for having learned from her exquisite understanding of humanity." - Mayor Pete
Sure, but her overall themes were things like parent-child, pain, reconcillation with one's past deeds ….all big themes that transcend race. That's why I tried the Faulkner comparison. She wrote in the context of her time. No criticism there, but for me an "access' issue. And a nobel. And the comparison to Updike was meant more about access. Middle class protestant, sex, America the melting pot, and loss of Christian faith and Kierkegaard and Baarth, who influenced writers of the day (and many of us).

O don't think Morrison ever won a Pulitzer, but maybe. Updike won two, as did Faulkner and Booth Tarkington, who I really never appreciated

Imo Morrison will eventually be considered like Faulkner to be America's best.

I'm an Updike (and James Lee Burke) guy though. And Vonnegut, definitely Vonnegut. All of whom I say were "second tier." Fitzgerald, Steinbeck and Hemmingway never really touched Faulkner

ps I forgot Bellow … literally and figuratively. LOL

Last edited:
Sure, but her overall themes were things like parent-child, pain, reconcillation with one's past deeds ….all big themes that transcend race. That's why I tried the Faulkner comparison. She wrote in the context of her time. No criticism there, but for me an "access' issue. And a nobel. And the comparison to Updike was meant more about access. Middle class protestant, sex, America the melting pot, and loss of Christian faith and Kierkegaard and Baarth, who influenced writers of the day (and many of us).

O don't think Morrison ever won a Pulitzer, but maybe. Updike won two, as did Faulkner and Booth Tarkington, who I really never appreciated

I'm an Updike (and James Lee Burke) guy though. And Vonnegut, definitely Vonnegut. All of whom I say were "second tier." Fitzgerald, Steinbeck and Hemmingway never really touched Faulkner

Yes, her themes transcend race. People are slamming her for her politics, but I didn't really see her novels as political as much as simply her perception as a black woman who grew up in a certain place and time.
Now, Carolyn Chute--she let her politics brim over into her novels like nobody's business. I can see people screeching about her. But Toni Morrison, she was telling stories that show us how she sees the world as a black woman, same as any author does.

Yes, her themes transcend race. People are slamming her for her politics, but I didn't really see her novels as political as much as simply her perception as a black woman who grew up in a certain place and time.
Now, Carolyn Chute--she let her politics brim over into her novels like nobody's business. I can see people screeching about her. But Toni Morrison, she was telling stories that show us how she sees the world as a black woman, same as any author does.

I agree. That's what I meant by Faulkner. There's no "bleed over." Faulkner wrote about human dignity in the face of inhumanity, but race of course is part of his experience. Much the same as Morrison. But in terms of theme, or what they're really saying, it's not totally unlike Dostoyevsky, LOL

A writer's experiences do bleed over into the plot and settings. That doesn't NECESSARILY make them political.

I just never got Bellows, and I loved Steinbeck's politics. I have no currently new books to read. I think I'll get some Updike for the weekend. Thanks. He's been called a minor writer in terms of theme, but it worked for me. LOL

Morrison makes me sad.

I agree. That's what I meant by Faulkner. There's no "bleed over." Faulkner wrote about human dignity in the face of inhumanity, but race of course is part of his experience. Much the same as Morrison. But in terms of theme, or what they're really saying, it's not totally unlike Dostoyevsky, LOL

A writer's experiences do bleed over into the plot and settings. That doesn't NECESSARILY make them political.

I just never got Bellows, and I loved Steinbeck's politics. I have no currently new books to read. I think I'll get some Updike for the weekend. Thanks. He's been called a minor writer in terms of theme, but it worked for me. LOL

Morrison makes me sad.
I can't go far with you on this, because I haven't read Updike or Bellows. My favorite author is Faulkner, though. I've loved him long time.

Morrison makes me sad.
I can't go far with you on this, because I haven't read Updike or Bellows. My favorite author is Faulkner, though. I've loved him long time.
I still haven't read all of Faulkner or any of Morrison beyond her trilogy.

Morrison makes me sad.
I still haven't read all of Faulkner or any of Morrison beyond her trilogy.
If I had to spend the rest of my life on a desert island and could only take one book, it would be Go Down Moses. It's more a collection of stories. It introduces you to a good chunk of the Yoknapatawpha County genealogy and it also has Ike McCaislin's coming of age as a hunter which is echoed in Milkman's experience in the woods in Song of Solomon. Magic. Although Morrison herself was born and raised in Ohio, her family has some deep Southern roots, and I think that might be why the two writers sometimes echo each other.

Celebrating an untalented, low IQ, racist, literary turd like "Toni" is literally a precursor to TDS.

These two retards combined have an IQ under 90. :p

Last edited:

Forum List

Back