Ronald Reagan's Birthday and the Myth of Reagan

Progs hate Reagan because he called their home team an Evil Empire, vowed to defeat them and dealt them a crushing defeat that liberated hundreds of millions from the oppression of Soviet Communism.

There are statues of Reagan all throughout Eastern Europe where he is loved and reveared as their Liberator

No, there really aren't.

I'm more worried about the crushing defeat Reagan inflicted on the American Middle class.

You're a stooge and would be in the first wave of people rounded up and the executed if your communist masters ever got total control.

The middle class and the poor did far far far better under Reagan than Obama.

Lie to yourself all you want, lie to me and I'll vaporize you

Yea, the Russians got tired because they practically had no food to eat. They were lucky when we gave them grain shipments. Again, no food because it all went to the military to try and keep up in the arms race that Reagan won and broke their back at the same time.

Yup, so all we had to do to "win" the Cold War was triple the national debt and destroy the middle class.

Brilliant.
If you take the part out about wining the cold war, it sounds like youre talking about Obama. The truth is, Reagan is widely considered the greatest president we ever had. I understand that bothers you, but too bad.

He is only considered to be the greatest by the ever dwindling far right. Sane people have learned better.

Firing PATCO was straight out of the Coolidge playbook where he fired striking police force.

Yes, endangering millions of people because they asked for a raise was a masterstroke.... of stupidity.
Who died Joey? Quite a few broke ranks and continued their jobs and military air-traffic controllers handled the situation well.

We get it. The Soviet Union crumbled and you can't get over that. 27 years after leaving office and you still can't handle it. Now that's on hell of a legacy!

The bitter frustration of the Progs over Reagan's crushing defeat of their home team is palpable and betrays their true loyalities

Progs hate Reagan because he called their home team an Evil Empire, vowed to defeat them and dealt them a crushing defeat that liberated hundreds of millions from the oppression of Soviet Communism.

There are statues of Reagan all throughout Eastern Europe where he is loved and reveared as their Liberator

No, there really aren't.

I'm more worried about the crushing defeat Reagan inflicted on the American Middle class.

You're a stooge and would be in the first wave of people rounded up and the executed if your communist masters ever got total control.

I've still got my W2s from before and during Reagans presidency. I can dig them out to show you how wrong you are.

No, there really aren't.

I've still got my W2s from before and during Reagans presidency. I can dig them out to show you how wrong you are.

Yes you're the entire poor and middle class during Reagan and one of the biggest morons on usmb

By comparison the neatest thing Reagan ever did was mention aliens in a speech. :)

Reagan forced the Soviets to commit too many resources to their military and nukes which was what bankrupted them and caused the internal transformation.

That had happened long before Reagan took office

Might as well thank Ike

Of course, collapse doesn't happen in only 8 years, but the critical part is at the end.

Which was well after St Reagan was out of office.

Less than 2 years.

Collapse of the Soviet Union - 1989-1991

The USSR officially ceased to exist on 31 December 1991.
So...let's be clear here...our actions to end the Soviet Union started well before Reagan and ended AFTER Reagan...but it's all Reagan's doing?

No, there really aren't.

Yes you're the entire poor and middle class during Reagan and one of the biggest morons on usmb

I remember hearing Reagan was a friend of the poor. If that were true, he made a lot of friends while he was in office. Fortunately, things got better after he was gone.

It's easy to understand why Republicans need the MYTH of Ronald Reagan. He was the only Republican since Ike who wasn't voted out of office, forced to resign, or left the country in shambles of war and recession. So we get treated to the mythological Reagan who was a paragon of conservative virtue, ignoring the guy who actually was president from 1981 to 1989.

To quickly recap- The Real Ronald Reagan:

Tripled the National Debt.
Engaged in huge public spending programs.
Negotiated with Terrorists and traded arms for hostages.
Raised Taxes after cutting them.
Gave amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens.
Compromised with the Democratic Majority to expand social security.
Reached agreements with America's adversaries.
Appointed moderates to the Supreme Court
Rarely went to church and believed in Astrology

That was the REAL Ronald Reagan, and he was a good president because he was a PRAGMATIST, not a ideologue. An ideologue was George W. Bush, who kept to his policies even when they FAILED.

What we won't get is a real discussion of what the implication of his policies were, such as the undermining of the middle class through free trade and deunionization of the private sector.

Sounds like you are beginning to like Reagan. So why do you have such a problem with the fact that he was so popular and still is?

Reagan is simply the standard to which all modern presidents are held, 'nuff said.

That is simply a ridiculous statement. 'nuff said from you.
Reall? That is a patent fact. Carter set the standard for failure and Reagan for success. Only Cater's standard is currently threatened.

We used to say Obama was the worst President since Carter.

But these days is obvious he is well beyond Carter.

Reagan is simply the standard to which all modern presidents are held, 'nuff said.

That is simply a ridiculous statement. 'nuff said from you.
Reall? That is a patent fact. Carter set the standard for failure and Reagan for success. Only Cater's standard is currently threatened.

We used to say Obama was the worst President since Carter.

But these days is obvious he is well beyond Carter.

Teabaggers say a lot of crazy shit. That doesn't make it true.

I've never heard anything but good things about Ronald Reagan, except for some bitter liberals.

American Liberals have a bigger vested interest in the old USSR than even members of the Politburo. While normal kids have pictures of rockstars and athletes in their rooms, "American" Progressives have Che, Gorby and Smiling Uncle Joe Stalin staring down at them. I say "American" Progressives because only their body is here, their heart lies elsewhere.

Forum List

Back