Roosevelt's Great Depression

My pal reggie keeps telling me that 'historians claim that Franklin Roosevelt was the greatest US President."

Yup, they do.....perhaps on reason may be that the vast majority of 'em are way Left Liberals...they know what their status and careers depend on!

1. Here are three looming debilitations of Franklin Roosevelt:

a. His attachment to Joseph Stalin, and, in large measure, acceptance of communistm

b. His monumental efforts to subvert the United States Constitution

c. His inept handling of the recession, turning into and extending the Depression.

2. Let's concentrate on the last one, his responsibility for the 'Great Depression.'
Don't take my word for the ineptitude, here is Roosevelt BFF, secretary of the treasury, expert on finance and compendium of statistics on the economy of the 1930's:

" “We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong…somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises…I say after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”
Morgenthau Diary, May 9, 1939, Franklin Roosevelt Presidential Library

a. In 1935, the Brookings Institution (left-leaning) delivered a 900-page report on the New Deal and the National Recovery Administration, concluding that “ on the whole it retarded recovery.http://www.aei.org/article/26390

3. Now, our Leftist Liberals (redundant?) could have mentioned the very best of recession-fighters....but he was a Republican, and made no attempt to grow the size of government....so that makes him ineligible for praise. His name was Warren G. Harding.

a. The decline in the GNP price deflator from 1920 to 1921 is the largest one-year percentage decline in the series in the more than 120 years covered. Various estimates show that one-year deflation figures were 18 percent, 13.0 percent, and 14.8 percent, respectively. The closest comparator is the 11.5 percent deflation recorded for 1931-32, the third year of the Great Depression.
How to Create the Great er Depression II - Behind Blue Lines

b. Instead of bailing out failing businesses, expanding government, and redistributing taxpayer money with a "stimulus" plan, Harding responded by cutting spending and removing burdensome regulations and taxes. During his campaign, he argued, "We need vastly more freedom than we do regulation." In stark contrast with the Bush-Obama response of ever-more government spending and debt, Harding had federal spending cut in half between 1920 and 1922 and ultimately ran a surplus.
As a result, the recession that started in 1920 ended before 1923.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/02/obama_should_channel_harding_n.htm

I'll bet that the government school hid those facts from their captive audience, the Liberals-in-Training.
And they call it 'higher education.'

4.Under Franklin Roosevelt- "No depression, or recession, had ever lasted even half this long."

a. 8,020,000 Americans were unemployed in 1931. In 1939, after the excellent decisions by Franklin Roosevelt, there were 9,480,000 unemployed.
Folsom, "New Deal of Raw Deal," p. 3.

Now....where are the Roosevelt fans who are ready to explain the different results under Harding, as compared to those under Roosevelt?

And, while you are at it....why no mention of Harding by your Democrat stenographers, aka historians.
The thesis being promoted by the OP is dependent on the hucksterism of promoting the misinterpreted unemployment numbers of Stanley Lebergott. Lebergott did not count workers earning paychecks from government agencies as being employed. They were counted as being on "relief". Nobody payed much attention until 1976 when economist Michael Darby stirred the pot by reevaluating the numbers by including the workers on "relief" and collecting paychecks as being employed.

Like so many of the OP's thesis and ideas, old and obsolete data is used for fraudulent promotion that fit a political agenda. Darby's revelations are just ignored and left out of the picture, even though his work is not challenged and accepted as valid and accurate by economist. It is not as though one economist is dishonest or more accurate. They used different methods to reach conclusions about specific topics of focus. Lebergott was determining how many workers were displaced from private sector workforce. He counted those working on the relief programs as displaced and for his purposes, unemployed in relationship to the private sector work force. Lebergott's method accepted relief jobs as unemployment. Darby focused on actual numbers of individuals able, available and willing to work, but unable to find employment of any kind. He included the relief workers as employed.

edgeofthewest.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/very-short-reading-list-unemployment-in-the-1930s/

fraser.stlouisfed.org/docs/meltzer/maremp93.pdf

mediamatters.org/research/2008/12/03/conservatives-cherry-pick-1930s-unemployment-fi/146376

1. "....promotion that fit a political agenda."
So very true.
I object to a monarch, as did the founders.
The Constitution is the law of the land...and was so until Franklin Roosevelt.
But...as long as he has the worship of folks like you, who care nothing for the nation that the Founders envisioned, his injuries to the nation will be ignored.

2. Here are three looming debilitations of Franklin Roosevelt:

a. His attachment to Joseph Stalin, and, in large measure, acceptance of communism

c. His inept handling of the recession, turning into and extending the Depression.

Republicans conspired to give FDR polio to prevent him from stopping their plot to destroy our economy and turn our workforce into slaves toiling for pennies a day

Last edited:
The thesis being promoted by the OP is dependent on the hucksterism of promoting the misinterpreted unemployment numbers of Stanley Lebergott. Lebergott did not count workers earning paychecks from government agencies as being employed. They were counted as being on "relief". Nobody payed much attention until 1976 when economist Michael Darby stirred the pot by reevaluating the numbers by including the workers on "relief" and collecting paychecks as being employed.

Like so many of the OP's thesis and ideas, old and obsolete data is used for fraudulent promotion that fit a political agenda. Darby's revelations are just ignored and left out of the picture, even though his work is not challenged and accepted as valid and accurate by economist. It is not as though one economist is dishonest or more accurate. They used different methods to reach conclusions about specific topics of focus. Lebergott was determining how many workers were displaced from private sector workforce. He counted those working on the relief programs as displaced and for his purposes, unemployed in relationship to the private sector work force. Lebergott's method accepted relief jobs as unemployment. Darby focused on actual numbers of individuals able, available and willing to work, but unable to find employment of any kind. He included the relief workers as employed.

edgeofthewest.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/very-short-reading-list-unemployment-in-the-1930s/

fraser.stlouisfed.org/docs/meltzer/maremp93.pdf

mediamatters.org/research/2008/12/03/conservatives-cherry-pick-1930s-unemployment-fi/146376

1. "....promotion that fit a political agenda."
So very true.
I object to a monarch, as did the founders.
The Constitution is the law of the land...and was so until Franklin Roosevelt.
But...as long as he has the worship of folks like you, who care nothing for the nation that the Founders envisioned, his injuries to the nation will be ignored.

2. Here are three looming debilitations of Franklin Roosevelt:

a. His attachment to Joseph Stalin, and, in large measure, acceptance of communism

a. What you call an attachment to Joseph Stalin others view as pragmatism. FDR new war with the Nazi's and Japan was coming and there was no way to stop it short of the surrender of American global liberties and accepting the threat of eventually fighting a desperate war of self defense on America's shore. FDR had vision and the best analytical mind of any President before or after him. He saw the USSR and Stalin as a force that would help defeat the enemy and greatly reduce the human cost and loss of financial treasure of the United States. Joseph Stalin would throw tens of millions of soldiers against the Nazi's and loose 10 million being killed in action. Stalin decimated the Nazi forces and saved millions of American families from receiving news of their husbands and sons being killed in action fighting in Europe.

b.His monumental effort to subvert the United States Constitution were no more than Presidents before him of after him. You can pick through President after President, Congress after Congress and find challenges to the constitution. You use the word "monumental" that is just a word to embellish your opinion. Some could argue others have made far more serious attacks on the constitution than FDR. We have fought numerous wars and continue to deploy troops and conduct warfare overseas without a declaration of war. Was or is FDR responsible for that? That didn't start until FDR was dead and buried.

c. How he handled the depression and whether it was inept, genius or something in between has been debated for 80 years. Your opinion on the subject is no more valuable, nor less valuable that the next persons.

The important component to any debate is the reliability and accuracy of data supporting one side or the other. I try not to challenge a persons ideology, philosophy and political opinions during these discussions related to history. I challenge assertions of facts when I know they are misrepresentations and inaccurate. I do so with links to factual data to disprove the fraudulent claims and prepared to offer further proof when and if the links and sources I provide are challenged.
Revisionist with political agenda's can always be relied upon to pepper their revisionism and conspiracy theories with misinformation, disinformation and outright lies.

c. How he handled the depression and whether it was inept, genius or something in between has been debated for 80 years.

one would hardly call it debate if 15 years of depression and 5 years of world war can be considered genius. If Obama had his way and caused 15 years of depression with idiotic liberal policies liberals would think he was a genius too! That is the nature of liberalism.

Republicans conspired to throw the nation into a depression

They are still pissed that FDR spoiled their plot

c. How he handled the depression and whether it was inept, genius or something in between has been debated for 80 years.

one would hardly call it debate if 15 years of depression and 5 years of world war can be considered genius. If Obama had his way and caused 15 years of depression with idiotic liberal policies liberals would think he was a genius too! That is the nature of liberalism.
More evidence the revisionist, particularly the FDR revisionist can not debate without the use of misinformation in the form of lies, exaggeration and embellishment. According to you he is now responsible for a 15 year long depression and an added year of WWII. I provide links to factual data, you provide misinformation to support your opinion and nothing to give any credibility to your ridiculous opinion.

...after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”

FDR was inaugurated in March of 1933... so that's only 6 yrs...

And, while you are at it....why no mention of Harding by your Democrat stenographers, aka historians.

Yeah, Harding saved the Soviet Union...

...after eight years of this administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started…And an enormous debt to boot!”

That is a chopped up and distorted quote that began being widely used by conservatives after it was presented in that form by Folsom in his book "Raw Deal", the FDR era revisionist bible. It omits the portion of the diary entree about failure of spending due to the failure of tax increases to pay for the spending. Morgenthau's disagreement with the spending policy was that it created debt and he promoted increased taxes to pay for the increased spending. The quote is dishonestly used to imply Morganthau was opposed to the jobs programs when he in fact was a key supporter and element in starting and operating those programs. His concern was that the debt being incurred put the programs in jeopardy. Morgenthau wanted increased taxes to pay for the programs.

That is a chopped up and distorted quote that began being widely used by conservatives after it was presented in that form by Folsom in his book "Raw Deal", the FDR era revisionist bible. It omits the portion of the diary entree about failure of spending due to the failure of tax increases to pay for the spending. Morgenthau's disagreement with the spending policy was that it created debt and he promoted increased taxes to pay for the increased spending. The quote is dishonestly used to imply Morganthau was opposed to the jobs programs when he in fact was a key supporter and element in starting and operating those programs. His concern was that the debt being incurred put the programs in jeopardy. Morgenthau wanted increased taxes to pay for the programs.

" The quote is dishonestly used to imply Morganthau was opposed to the jobs programs when he in fact was a key supporter and element in starting and operating those programs."

Liar.

a. Henry Morganthau, FDR’s Sec’y of the Treasury, famously let the cat out of the bag: “"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot." Henry Morgenthau Jr. Biography from Answers.com

a. Henry Morganthau, FDR’s Sec’y of the Treasury, famously let the cat out of the bag: “"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot." Henry Morgenthau Jr. Biography from Answers.com

Missing is this line, which doesn’t quite fit a conservative narrative: “We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be. People who have it should pay.” (The full quote comes from Morgenthau’s diary, which is in the collection of the FDR Library.)

More to the point, however, Morgenthau was simply wrong, and not merely in miscalculating the length of the Roosevelt administration up to that point as eight years, not six. The number of unemployed had in fact fallen sharply over those six years, from 11.5 million men and women at the end of 1932 to about 6.2 million in 1939. The unemployment rate would settle at 11.3 percent at the end of 1939, down from nearly 23 percent when Roosevelt took office. At the time Morgenthau spoke, the U.S. working population had increased more than 25 percent, to some 49 million, including about 3.5 million workers employed on government construction programs, from fewer than 39 million in 1932.

Rick Perry s attack on the New Deal - The Washington Post

You call my post a lie, but look at the quote you are using. What do you think it means when a quote is interrupted by a series of periods like this ... ? What has the user of that quote decided to leave out? If that isn't chopping up a quote what is? Heck, you can find a more complete version of the quote at of all places, wikpedia. "We have never begun to tax the people the way they should be...I don't pay what I should. People of my class don't. People who have it should pay..." Henry Morgenthau, Jr. May 9, 1939 Diary entree. Why did Folsom leave out that part of his diary entree or the rest of it? Why don't you show us the entire diary entree and quote?
Oops, Dad beat me to it.

Missing is this line, which doesn’t quite fit a conservative narrative: “We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be. People who have it should pay.” (The full quote comes from Morgenthau’s diary, which is in the collection of the FDR Library.)

More to the point, however, Morgenthau was simply wrong, and not merely in miscalculating the length of the Roosevelt administration up to that point as eight years, not six. The number of unemployed had in fact fallen sharply over those six years, from 11.5 million men and women at the end of 1932 to about 6.2 million in 1939. The unemployment rate would settle at 11.3 percent at the end of 1939, down from nearly 23 percent when Roosevelt took office. At the time Morgenthau spoke, the U.S. working population had increased more than 25 percent, to some 49 million, including about 3.5 million workers employed on government construction programs, from fewer than 39 million in 1932.

"The words are those of none other than Henry Morgenthau Jr. — close friend, lunch companion, loyal secretary of the Treasury to President Franklin D. Roosevelt — and key architect of FDR’s New Deal.

The date: May 9, 1939. The setting: Morgenthau’s appearance in Washington before less influential Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee.

Morgenthau made this“startling confession,” as historian Burton W. Folsom Jr. calls it, during the seventh year of FDR’s New Deal programs to combat the rampant unemployment of the Great Depression.

“In these words, Morgenthau summarized a decade of disaster, especially during the years Roosevelt was in power. Indeed average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931, the year before Roosevelt captured the presidency from Herbert Hoover,”Folsom writes in his new book, “New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR’s Economic Legacy Has Damaged America.”

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

Indeed, with those words, Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today: The New Deal was failed public policy. Massive spending on public works programs didn’t erase historic unemployment. It didn’t produce a recovery.

Some of the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill about this hard truth. It’s an important truth, nevertheless, especially because the same characters insist that Barack Obama must push through a “bold” economic stimulus that depends on hundreds of billions in new government spending to create or “save” jobs.

Budget and financial experts here at The Heritage Foundation are among cooler heads cautioning that President Obama ought not to repeat President Roosevelt’s mistakes. In one such effort, Heritage last week distributeda chart showing that FDR’s programs didn’t succeed in pushing unemployment below 20 percent.
We re Spending More Than Ever and It Doesn t Work

a. His attachment to Joseph Stalin, and, in large measure, acceptance of communistm

You call my post a lie, but look at the quote you are using. What do you think it means when a quote is interrupted by a series of periods like this ... ? What has the user of that quote decided to leave out? If that isn't chopping up a quote what is? Heck, you can find a more complete version of the quote at of all places, wikpedia. "We have never begun to tax the people the way they should be...I don't pay what I should. People of my class don't. People who have it should pay..." Henry Morgenthau, Jr. May 9, 1939 Diary entree. Why did Folsom leave out that part of his diary entree or the rest of it? Why don't you show us the entire diary entree and quote?
Oops, Dad beat me to it.

Lie your way out of this:

" I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."
Henry Morganthau.

If you read that actual history of the era you'll see that a decline in fiscal stimulus in '37 driven by Morgethau and others resulted in a rise in unemployment.

9519062_orig.png

LOL

SEE THE TREND LINE, UNTIL FDR LISTENED TO THE DEFICIT SCOLDS AND CUT SPENDING 10% IN 1937??

After the two last ruling parties in post revolution became one after Stalin outlawed it and exiled Trosky, then one ruler emerged in Russia...
Had Franklin not normalized relations with the USSR, at the insistence of US business leaders, how would the Koch family have survived his failed oil company in the USA, if Stalin had not paid Mr. Koch to frack the oilfields in the USSR?

"The words are those of none other than Henry Morgenthau Jr. — close friend, lunch companion, loyal secretary of the Treasury to President Franklin D. Roosevelt — and key architect of FDR’s New Deal.

The date: May 9, 1939. The setting: Morgenthau’s appearance in Washington before less influential Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee.

Morgenthau made this“startling confession,” as historian Burton W. Folsom Jr. calls it, during the seventh year of FDR’s New Deal programs to combat the rampant unemployment of the Great Depression.

“In these words, Morgenthau summarized a decade of disaster, especially during the years Roosevelt was in power. Indeed average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931, the year before Roosevelt captured the presidency from Herbert Hoover,”Folsom writes in his new book, “New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR’s Economic Legacy Has Damaged America.”

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

Indeed, with those words, Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today: The New Deal was failed public policy. Massive spending on public works programs didn’t erase historic unemployment. It didn’t produce a recovery.

Some of the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill about this hard truth. It’s an important truth, nevertheless, especially because the same characters insist that Barack Obama must push through a “bold” economic stimulus that depends on hundreds of billions in new government spending to create or “save” jobs.

Budget and financial experts here at The Heritage Foundation are among cooler heads cautioning that President Obama ought not to repeat President Roosevelt’s mistakes. In one such effort, Heritage last week distributeda chart showing that FDR’s programs didn’t succeed in pushing unemployment below 20 percent.

HISTORIAN? Oh right he's busy rewritting 'history' to fit the conservatives narrative, lol

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

HISTORIAN? Oh right he's busy rewritting 'history' to fit the conservatives narrative, lol

This history?

After the two last ruling parties in post revolution became one after Stalin outlawed it and exiled Trosky, then one ruler emerged in Russia...
Had Franklin not normalized relations with the USSR, at the insistence of US business leaders, how would the Koch family have survived his failed oil company in the USA, if Stalin had not paid Mr. Koch to frack the oilfields in the USSR?

FDR came into office March 4th of 1933. On November 16, 1933, President Roosevelt rushed to embrace....recognize...the USSR.

If this act, based on FDR's additional pro-Soviet endeavors, was rational....then these folks must have been irrational:
"Four Presidents and their six Secretaries of State for over a decade and a half held to this resolve," i.e., refusal to recognize the Soviet government.

That was written by Herbert Hoover, one of those four Presidents. He wrote it in his "Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's Secret History of the Second World War and Its Aftermath" by George H. Nash, published posthumously, obviously, in 2011, pg 24-29.

Oops, Dad beat me to it.

Lie your way out of this:

" I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."
Henry Morganthau.

Weird and FDR had only been in office 6 years at that point, NOT yet elected to the 2 other terms American's thought his policies deserved to get US out of the conservatives/GOP great depression, lol

He questioned the value of the deficit spending that had not reduced unemployment and only added debt:
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."

To reduce the deficit he argued for increased taxes, particularly on the wealthy.

"We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be..... I don't pay what I should. People in my class don't. People who have it should pay."

Henry Morgenthau Jr. - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

YOU are a lying POS moron. You mean Harding/Coolidge's depression FDR inherited and the reason why the American people elected FDR 4 times?

Historian? lol

Forum List

Back