Roosevelt's Great Depression

a. Henry Morganthau, FDR’s Sec’y of the Treasury, famously let the cat out of the bag: “"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot." Henry Morgenthau Jr. Biography from Answers.com
You call my post a lie, but look at the quote you are using. What do you think it means when a quote is interrupted by a series of periods like this ... ? What has the user of that quote decided to leave out? If that isn't chopping up a quote what is? Heck, you can find a more complete version of the quote at of all places, wikpedia. "We have never begun to tax the people the way they should be...I don't pay what I should. People of my class don't. People who have it should pay..." Henry Morgenthau, Jr. May 9, 1939 Diary entree. Why did Folsom leave out that part of his diary entree or the rest of it? Why don't you show us the entire diary entree and quote?
Oops, Dad beat me to it.

Lie your way out of this:

" I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."
Henry Morganthau.

I explained the Lebergott vs. Darby methods of employment evaluation yesterday in Post #179 along with three links explaining how the methods differed and what they meant. I even mentioned that neither was wrong or right, but rather each had a different focus. Morgenthau subscribed to the Lebergott method and interpretation of workers collecting pay checks generated by government programs should be counted as unemployed for purposes of statistical analysis because they were absent from the private workforce. The use of the Lebergott figures and methodology portrays a fraudulent impression of actual employment numbers in regards to how many people were collecting pay checks for work performed.

Here, you can add this link.

rooseveltinstitute.org/new-roosevelt/real-lesson-great-depression-fiscal-policy-works

a. Henry Morganthau, FDR’s Sec’y of the Treasury, famously let the cat out of the bag: “"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot." Henry Morgenthau Jr. Biography from Answers.com

Missing is this line, which doesn’t quite fit a conservative narrative: “We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be. People who have it should pay.” (The full quote comes from Morgenthau’s diary, which is in the collection of the FDR Library.)

More to the point, however, Morgenthau was simply wrong, and not merely in miscalculating the length of the Roosevelt administration up to that point as eight years, not six. The number of unemployed had in fact fallen sharply over those six years, from 11.5 million men and women at the end of 1932 to about 6.2 million in 1939. The unemployment rate would settle at 11.3 percent at the end of 1939, down from nearly 23 percent when Roosevelt took office. At the time Morgenthau spoke, the U.S. working population had increased more than 25 percent, to some 49 million, including about 3.5 million workers employed on government construction programs, from fewer than 39 million in 1932.

Rick Perry s attack on the New Deal - The Washington Post

"The words are those of none other than Henry Morgenthau Jr. — close friend, lunch companion, loyal secretary of the Treasury to President Franklin D. Roosevelt — and key architect of FDR’s New Deal.

The date: May 9, 1939. The setting: Morgenthau’s appearance in Washington before less influential Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee.

Morgenthau made this“startling confession,” as historian Burton W. Folsom Jr. calls it, during the seventh year of FDR’s New Deal programs to combat the rampant unemployment of the Great Depression.

“In these words, Morgenthau summarized a decade of disaster, especially during the years Roosevelt was in power. Indeed average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931, the year before Roosevelt captured the presidency from Herbert Hoover,”Folsom writes in his new book, “New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR’s Economic Legacy Has Damaged America.”

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

Indeed, with those words, Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today: The New Deal was failed public policy. Massive spending on public works programs didn’t erase historic unemployment. It didn’t produce a recovery.

Some of the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill about this hard truth. It’s an important truth, nevertheless, especially because the same characters insist that Barack Obama must push through a “bold” economic stimulus that depends on hundreds of billions in new government spending to create or “save” jobs.

Budget and financial experts here at The Heritage Foundation are among cooler heads cautioning that President Obama ought not to repeat President Roosevelt’s mistakes. In one such effort, Heritage last week distributeda chart showing that FDR’s programs didn’t succeed in pushing unemployment below 20 percent.
We re Spending More Than Ever and It Doesn t Work

1. Here are three looming debilitations of Franklin Roosevelt:

a. His attachment to Joseph Stalin, and, in large measure, acceptance of communistm

b. His monumental efforts to subvert the United States Constitution

c. His inept handling of the recession, turning into and extending the Depression.

HISTORIAN? Oh right he's busy rewritting 'history' to fit the conservatives narrative, lol

This history?

a. His attachment to Joseph Stalin, and, in large measure, acceptance of communistm

c. His inept handling of the recession, turning into and extending the Depression.

Roosevelt Pushes for Recognition

Almost immediately upon taking office, however, President Roosevelt moved to establish formal diplomatic relations between the United States and the Soviet Union. His reasons for doing so were complex, but the decision was based on several primary factors. Roosevelt hoped that recognition of the Soviet Union would serve U.S. strategic interests by limiting Japanese expansionism in Asia, and he believed that full diplomatic recognition would serve American commercial interests in the Soviet Union, a matter of some concern to an Administration grappling with the effects of the Great Depression. Finally, the United States was the only major power that continued to withhold official diplomatic recognition from the Soviet Union.

Recognition of the Soviet Union 1933 - 1921 1936 - Milestones - Office of the Historian

After the two last ruling parties in post revolution became one after Stalin outlawed it and exiled Trosky, then one ruler emerged in Russia...
Had Franklin not normalized relations with the USSR, at the insistence of US business leaders, how would the Koch family have survived his failed oil company in the USA, if Stalin had not paid Mr. Koch to frack the oilfields in the USSR?

FDR came into office March 4th of 1933. On November 16, 1933, President Roosevelt rushed to embrace....recognize...the USSR.

If this act, based on FDR's additional pro-Soviet endeavors, was rational....then these folks must have been irrational:
"Four Presidents and their six Secretaries of State for over a decade and a half held to this resolve," i.e., refusal to recognize the Soviet government.

That was written by Herbert Hoover, one of those four Presidents. He wrote it in his "Freedom Betrayed: Herbert Hoover's Secret History of the Second World War and Its Aftermath" by George H. Nash, published posthumously, obviously, in 2011, pg 24-29.
The reason they held their resolve is that their was no clear leader of Russia until after 1928..Hoover was an imperialist and sided with the old order of the deposed Tzar regime, the US even sent units into Russia to help the Royalist..

You call my post a lie, but look at the quote you are using. What do you think it means when a quote is interrupted by a series of periods like this ... ? What has the user of that quote decided to leave out? If that isn't chopping up a quote what is? Heck, you can find a more complete version of the quote at of all places, wikpedia. "We have never begun to tax the people the way they should be...I don't pay what I should. People of my class don't. People who have it should pay..." Henry Morgenthau, Jr. May 9, 1939 Diary entree. Why did Folsom leave out that part of his diary entree or the rest of it? Why don't you show us the entire diary entree and quote?
Oops, Dad beat me to it.

Lie your way out of this:

" I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."
Henry Morganthau.
Don't have to lie. Every word of my post is accurate and true. You are the one misrepresenting facts and twisting quotes. Here is your source's source to prove my accuracy and your dishonesty.

burtfolsom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/Morgenthau.pdf

Missing is this line, which doesn’t quite fit a conservative narrative: “We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be. People who have it should pay.” (The full quote comes from Morgenthau’s diary, which is in the collection of the FDR Library.)

More to the point, however, Morgenthau was simply wrong, and not merely in miscalculating the length of the Roosevelt administration up to that point as eight years, not six. The number of unemployed had in fact fallen sharply over those six years, from 11.5 million men and women at the end of 1932 to about 6.2 million in 1939. The unemployment rate would settle at 11.3 percent at the end of 1939, down from nearly 23 percent when Roosevelt took office. At the time Morgenthau spoke, the U.S. working population had increased more than 25 percent, to some 49 million, including about 3.5 million workers employed on government construction programs, from fewer than 39 million in 1932.

"The words are those of none other than Henry Morgenthau Jr. — close friend, lunch companion, loyal secretary of the Treasury to President Franklin D. Roosevelt — and key architect of FDR’s New Deal.

The date: May 9, 1939. The setting: Morgenthau’s appearance in Washington before less influential Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee.

Morgenthau made this“startling confession,” as historian Burton W. Folsom Jr. calls it, during the seventh year of FDR’s New Deal programs to combat the rampant unemployment of the Great Depression.

“In these words, Morgenthau summarized a decade of disaster, especially during the years Roosevelt was in power. Indeed average unemployment for the whole year in 1939 would be higher than that in 1931, the year before Roosevelt captured the presidency from Herbert Hoover,”Folsom writes in his new book, “New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR’s Economic Legacy Has Damaged America.”

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

Indeed, with those words, Morgenthau confessed what so many keepers of FDR’s flame won’t admit today: The New Deal was failed public policy. Massive spending on public works programs didn’t erase historic unemployment. It didn’t produce a recovery.

Some of the most desperate defenders of New Deal doctrine are getting a little shrill about this hard truth. It’s an important truth, nevertheless, especially because the same characters insist that Barack Obama must push through a “bold” economic stimulus that depends on hundreds of billions in new government spending to create or “save” jobs.

Budget and financial experts here at The Heritage Foundation are among cooler heads cautioning that President Obama ought not to repeat President Roosevelt’s mistakes. In one such effort, Heritage last week distributeda chart showing that FDR’s programs didn’t succeed in pushing unemployment below 20 percent.

HISTORIAN? Oh right he's busy rewritting 'history' to fit the conservatives narrative, lol

This history?

Almost immediately upon taking office, however, President Roosevelt moved to establish formal diplomatic relations between the United States and the Soviet Union. His reasons for doing so were complex, but the decision was based on several primary factors. Roosevelt hoped that recognition of the Soviet Union would serve U.S. strategic interests by limiting Japanese expansionism in Asia, and he believed that full diplomatic recognition would serve American commercial interests in the Soviet Union, a matter of some concern to an Administration grappling with the effects of the Great Depression. Finally, the United States was the only major power that continued to withhold official diplomatic recognition from the Soviet Union.

Recognition of the Soviet Union 1933 - 1921 1936 - Milestones - Office of the Historian

We know that FDR was Stalin's sock puppet and little submissive fuck buddy. FDR went gay for Stalin immediately AFTER "Uncle Joe" Starved 6 million of his own people to death, including 3 million children, in the Ukraine.

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

YOU are a lying POS moron. You mean Harding/Coolidge's depression FDR inherited and the reason why the American people elected FDR 4 times?

Historian? lol

Coolidge didn't end with a Depression, you Pathological Liar

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

We know that FDR was Stalin's sock puppet and little submissive fuck buddy. FDR went gay for Stalin immediately AFTER "Uncle Joe" Starved 6 million of his own people to death, including 3 million children, in the Ukraine.
How many Native American Indians starved to death as the result of govt. and private enterprise theft of their food? Not to mention land and subjugation....

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

YOU are a lying POS moron. You mean Harding/Coolidge's depression FDR inherited and the reason why the American people elected FDR 4 times?

Historian? lol

No, but policy and during Hoover in 1928 signs were showing of a drop in GNP...

I ask you one more time Chic get this information to the historians as soon as possible, they obviously have never heard of these revelations when they voted FDR as America's greatest president. Can't you see the expression on their faces when they open your information packet exposing FDR's recognition of the USSR, Morganthau's statements, and his relationship to Stalin. I hope you do this deed quickly so America can rest easy and be secure once again.
Funny historians didn't know all this, well some anyway,

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

How many Native American Indians starved to death as the result of govt. and private enterprise theft of their food? Not to mention land and subjugation....

A lot and Liz Warren's great grandparents were directly involved in it.

So you're saying it's OK for FDR to submit to Stalin because of Indians?

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

Historian? lol

No, but policy and during Hoover in 1928 signs were showing of a drop in GNP...

Agreed, but the Pathological Liar Dads2 mentioned Harding/Coolidge.

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

Historian? lol

Nope, he just handed off to Hoover the end of the bubble (like Reagan's AND Dubya's), that popped 6 months later Bubba, lol

SOME critical thinking?

clip_image001.jpg
clip_image001.jpg
ndchart.JPG

This history?

Historian? lol

Nope, he just handed off to Hoover the end of the bubble (like Reagan's AND Dubya's), that popped 6 months later Bubba, lol

SOME critical thinking?

^ Fucking Liar. 100% total, fucking Liar

This history?

Historian? lol

SOME critical thinking?

Just like PoliticalChic you are quick to accuse people of disagreeing with you as being liars. In this case you show the same ridiculousness you usually show. Until author Amity Shlaes and her 2013 book about Coolidge, titled Coolidge it was widely accepted the the policies of Coolidge, often referred to as 'laissez-faire', were the cause of the stock market crash that started the Great Depression. Shlaes brought brought about new and fresh debate, not that she was the first and only defender of Coolidge's policies, but her work has brought about a huge amount of attention. Coupled with her previous works about Coolidge, she is is strongest defender and positive spokesperson. That being said, it doesn't mean those who disagree with her are liars. It just means some folks believe his policies of giving free reign to big business and the rich eventually backfire and cause economic collapse like it did immediately following his leaving office.

Here is a review of the book Coolidge by Amity Shlaes.

nytimes.com/2013/02/17/books/review/coolidge-by-amity-shlaes.html?pagewanted=all

It just means some folks believe his policies of giving free reign to big business and the rich eventually backfire and cause economic collapse like it did immediately following his leaving office.

dear "free reign" is not a political philosophy or an economic philosophy. Using it is an indication of your pure liberal ignorance. Capitalism is anything but "free reign." It is a harsh, survival of the fittest system where you offer the best jobs and products in the world or go bankrupt. Now, even you know why the USSR had 20% of our standard of living.

Do you understand ?

It just means some folks believe his policies of giving free reign to big business and the rich eventually backfire and cause economic collapse like it did immediately following his leaving office.

dear "free reign" is not a political philosophy or an economic philosophy. Using it is an indication of your pure liberal ignorance. Capitalism is anything but "free reign." It is a harsh, survival of the fittest system where you offer the best jobs and products in the world or go bankrupt. Now, even you know why the USSR had 20% of our standard of living.

Do you understand ?
I understand I made a common spelling mistake or usage mistake by using reign instead of rein. However the point I made is accurate in that Coolidge allowed great freedom to corporations, big business and investors. The definition of free rein comes from allowing a horse the freedom to run without the strict restriction and control of it's reins. Allowing free rein in the sense I used it was meant to indicate the freedom of regulation and control which Coolidge gave the entities that caused the bubble to collapse shortly after he left office. That is just a fact you have to deal with. Voice all the opinions and deflections you want. You have no real point to make. If you did you would have something besides a faux ego boosting lecture of meaningless blather.

was meant to indicate the freedom of regulation and control which Coolidge gave the entities that caused the bubble to collapse.

dear, capitalism does not give a corporation freedom of regulation. It is a harsh Darwinian discipline wherein you only survive by offering the best jobs and products in a very competitive world.

Is this still over your head?

This history?

Historian? lol

SOME critical thinking?

Just like PoliticalChic you are quick to accuse people of disagreeing with you as being liars. In this case you show the same ridiculousness you usually show. Until author Amity Shlaes and her 2013 book about Coolidge, titled Coolidge it was widely accepted the the policies of Coolidge, often referred to as 'laissez-faire', were the cause of the stock market crash that started the Great Depression. Shlaes brought brought about new and fresh debate, not that she was the first and only defender of Coolidge's policies, but her work has brought about a huge amount of attention. Coupled with her previous works about Coolidge, she is is strongest defender and positive spokesperson. That being said, it doesn't mean those who disagree with her are liars. It just means some folks believe his policies of giving free reign to big business and the rich eventually backfire and cause economic collapse like it did immediately following his leaving office.

Here is a review of the book Coolidge by Amity Shlaes.

nytimes.com/2013/02/17/books/review/coolidge-by-amity-shlaes.html?pagewanted=all

The only thing widely accepted is that progressives are absolute total liars who lie about anything and everything.

If FDR was great Coolidge is a god.

This history?

Historian? lol

SOME critical thinking?

melt down much? Facts are facts Frank1400PennAve :boohoo:

Forum List

Back