Ruger Mark 111 hunk of junk

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I bought a Ruger Mk3 in .22 brand new as a plinking/target pistol. I barely put 500 rounds through it when the sear pin worked out and the thing seized up. Checking google it seems that there is a cottage industry of videos dedicated to keeping this hunk of junk working. You have to force the magazine in, point the barrel up and rap it with a wood mallet to get the hammer in line to disassemble the thing. I'm about fed up. The best .22 target pistol I ever had I bought used and it functioned flawlessly for decades. I shot a perfect 300 in a pistol match withit and I'm sorry I sold the Colt Match Target.

Maybe you could keep the Ruger and only use it in close quarter combat? Use it like brass knuckles to bash the other guys teeth in!

Maybe you could keep the Ruger and only use it in close quarter combat? Use it like brass knuckles to bash the other guys teeth in!

Not all handguns are intended to be used for self defense. The only teeth that this thing is intended for is a woodchuck.

I bought a Ruger Mk3 in .22 brand new as a plinking/target pistol. I barely put 500 rounds through it when the sear pin worked out and the thing seized up. Checking google it seems that there is a cottage industry of videos dedicated to keeping this hunk of junk working. You have to force the magazine in, point the barrel up and rap it with a wood mallet to get the hammer in line to disassemble the thing. I'm about fed up. The best .22 target pistol I ever had I bought used and it functioned flawlessly for decades. I shot a perfect 300 in a pistol match withit and I'm sorry I sold the Colt Match Target.

But usually when I buy something $200.00+/_ I do a little research. Just sayin.

Any chance it's under warranty?

Yeah it has a warranty but it's a pain to ship a handgun and according to the google videos it' seems to be a design flaw.

I had a Mk II bull barrel for a number of years and never had a problem. But with other guns I have owned, Ruger has always been excellent with their customer service.

I got rid of my Mk II and got a Single Six. Never regretted it.

You should have kept the colt. I hate everything thing ruger.

I get loyalty to a brand. But hating everything Ruger? Some of their guns are absolutely fantastic. I like their single action revolvers. I think the No. 1 is one of the prettiest rifles made. And the 10/22 has no equal for .22 rifles anywhere NEAR their price.

Now the Colt New Frontier I had 25 years ago was a piece of junk.

Yeah, I have a High Standard Victor I use in my small bore pistol matches.

Any chance it's under warranty?

Yeah it has a warranty but it's a pain to ship a handgun and according to the google videos it' seems to be a design flaw.

If it's a design flaw, you think they'd refund your $ or repair for free or have an outright recall.

I was gifted a Mark I that, according to the serial number, appears to be made in the mid-60s.

Edit- I made the mistake of trying to break it down to give it a good cleaning. The thing is near-impossible to put back together LOL.
Ended up taking it to a gunsmith.

Last edited:

But usually when I buy something $200.00+/_ I do a little research. Just sayin.

I have a Ruger 44 mag revolver which is a thing of beauty so I trusted their Marks in .22. I shoulda researched it.

I've heard that the Mark III had problems.

I have a Ruger Standard .22 built in '63 that I'll likely never part with.

My uncle has put 150,000+ rounds through his Super Redhawk (.454 Casull) without a problem...I'm surprised to see a bad design from Ruger.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Jump through the hoops and get them to send you a new one or get your money back.

I picked up the Ruger Mk III 22/45 the first year it came out. I've put thousands of rounds through it with no problem. It's a little tack driver.

Forum List

Back