Running on empty: 70's music

The Hu is awesome. So are The Dead South.

Since you like banjo, have you listened to Mean Mary? Great musician, great storyteller.
I was talking to my adult daughter who lives in WA, that I accidently had Mongolian throat heavy music playing through my phone to my car, she automatically knew "my husband loves the Hu". Me playing that band gave my wife weird looks at me when it was playing. Steve n Seagulls playing Thunderstruck []

had a "this is the worst music you have ever played" from my wife. I have listened to Mean Mary but didn't think it was mean enough. Went to a local concert of Willi Carlisle that played folk music that was kind of fun.

But what really drives my wife nuts is when she gets in the car and I'm listening to a lecture series by Dr. John McWhorter, history of something really, really old given in a lecture style [God's Battalions - Rodney Stark, History of the Medieval World - Bauer.] I will quickly loose control of my stereo in my car. Or the TV at home. When I have "what have I married to" looks given to me when she came in while I was watching someone read Beowulf on the tv.

I lost the remote control after that.

She also questions my reading lists. Apparently, reading history books published in the mid to late 1800's, tech books - lots and lots of tech books dealing with all kinds of super nerdish stuff, text books that I read the cliff notes to in college but now interest me aren't normal.

Life is too short to be normal.

Last edited:
Doctor my eyes, tell me what is wrong, my eyes have seen the slow parade of tears was I unwise to keep them open for so long?

I was talking to my adult daughter who lives in WA, that I accidently had Mongolian throat heavy music playing through my phone to my car, she automatically knew "my husband loves the Hu". Me playing that band gave my wife weird looks at me when it was playing. Steve n Seagulls playing Thunderstruck []

had a "this is the worst music you have ever played" from my wife. I have listened to Mean Mary but didn't think it was mean enough. Went to a local concert of Willi Carlisle that played folk music that was kind of fun.

But what really drives my wife nuts is when she gets in the car and I'm listening to a lecture series by Dr. John McWhorter, history of something really, really old given in a lecture style [God's Battalions - Rodney Stark, History of the Medieval World - Bauer.] I will quickly loose control of my stereo in my car. Or the TV at home. When I have "what have I married to" looks given to me when she came in while I was watching someone read Beowulf on the tv.

I lost the remote control after that.

She also questions my reading lists. Apparently, reading history books published in the mid to late 1800's, tech books - lots and lots of tech books dealing with all kinds of super nerdish stuff, text books that I read the cliff notes to in college but now interest me aren't normal.

Life is too short to be normal.

Yes indeed.

I find I enjoy covers of songs -- especially covers done in different genres -- more so than the originals. The Thunderstruck cover you posted is on my phone. :)

Forum List

Back