Running third party as a Republican???

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
I wonder what Trump supporters think of this.

I've seen quite a few interviews now where Republicans are assuming that if Trump gets the nomination, a more traditional Republican will run on their own ticket. It sounds like a fairly sure deal. They're willing to lose this election to keep Trump from winning it. This would include campaigning against him in their states.

Think of it: Republican elected politicians campaigning against the GOP Presidential ticket.

Do Trump supporters think they have enough votes for him if/when this happens?

I wonder what Trump supporters think of this.

I've seen quite a few interviews now where Republicans are assuming that if Trump gets the nomination, a more traditional Republican will run on their own ticket. It sounds like a fairly sure deal. They're willing to lose this election to keep Trump from winning it. This would include campaigning against him in their states.

Think of it: Republican elected politicians campaigning against the GOP Presidential ticket.

Do Trump supporters think they have enough votes for him if/when this happens?
This might be what the country needs, to break the choke hold of the two party's

In most states it is difficult if almost impossible for a third party to get on the ballot , that is by design by both the republican and democratic party's. I know in some states where both right and left 3rd party's are working together to fight these restrictions

Open door to third parties on ballot - Chicago

There is a precedence for this, in that in 1986, I believe it was, two followers of Lyndon LaRouche won the Democratic Primary for Lt. Gov and Secretary of State, leaving the Democratic Candidate for Governor, Adlai Stevenson III, with running mates he didn't want. His response was to form a third party with candidates he did want to run with.

The argument could be made there that the voters didn't know what they were doing, because no one had really paid any attention to those offices.

All that said, this would be establishment Republicans renouncing the voters of their own party. I just don't see how that happens. they would probably be better off just letting Hillary beat Trump by slow walking his efforts in key states.

Forum List

Back