Rural white poverty

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
The myth that only minorities are poor and have to use social services

This just didn't start in 2008

Rich Hill, Missouri, is about an hour and twenty minutes from Kansas City by car. According to the Census Bureau, its 2012 population was 1,341. Median household income was about $29,800, and its poverty rate was just over 27 percent — nearly double the level for Missouri and the country, but about the same as the US rate for African Americans and Hispanics; the difference is that 98 percent of this poor town is white.

The Poverty of Relentless Disappointment Rich Hill and a Vanishing American Dream Blog BillMoyers.com

I believe white poverty is part of what powers the impotent rage of the far-right.

They cling to their guns and bibles when the system ultimately fails them in some way.

Stemming back to the Reconstruction, poor whites felt threatened by minorities and foreigners.

There are poor people in 3rd world nations that would never take anything that did not belong to them. That have more joy then many wealthy people. Poverty is not necessarily an indicator that someone is more prone to crime. That is not the reason for lawlessness. That is the excuse for lawlessness.

If a man is killed by accident or overzealous law enforcement - what possible excuse could anyone have for looting stores, smashing windows and destroying property that is owned by private citizens? Where is the reasoning in that? There is none. What has happened is lawlessness has found an excuse which in reality is no excuse - to break the laws of the land and steal the property of others. It is wrong. Now law enforcement may not go in and enforce the law but you can be sure that not one can hide from the face of God as He sees it all. So they are not getting away with anything. Not a thing.

I believe white poverty is part of what powers the impotent rage of the far-right.

They cling to their guns and bibles when the system ultimately fails them in some way.

Stemming back to the Reconstruction, poor whites felt threatened by minorities and foreigners.

That is not true and you know it, hazelnut.

Far from poor and still pissed. There goes that theory.

Rich Hill, Missouri, is about an hour and twenty minutes from Kansas City by car. According to the Census Bureau, its 2012 population was 1,341. Median household income was about $29,800, and its poverty rate was just over 27 percent — nearly double the level for Missouri and the country, but about the same as the US rate for African Americans and Hispanics; the difference is that 98 percent of this poor town is white.

The Poverty of Relentless Disappointment Rich Hill and a Vanishing American Dream Blog BillMoyers.com

Stupidest thing I've seen .....today
That's a CLASSIC strawman fallacy.

I doubt anyone ever in the entire history of the world said "only minorities are poor"...and with that strawman exposed, the rest of the post is useless.

Stupidest thing I've seen .....today
That's a CLASSIC strawman fallacy.

I doubt anyone ever in the entire history of the world said "only minorities are poor"...and with that strawman exposed, the rest of the post is useless.
Dean is obsessed with Republicans......Guno is obsessed with the White man.....Obsession is a mental disease....eats you up from the inside....

There are poor people in 3rd world nations that would never take anything that did not belong to them. That have more joy then many wealthy people. Poverty is not necessarily an indicator that someone is more prone to crime. That is not the reason for lawlessness. That is the excuse for lawlessness.

If a man is killed by accident or overzealous law enforcement - what possible excuse could anyone have for looting stores, smashing windows and destroying property that is owned by private citizens? Where is the reasoning in that? There is none. What has happened is lawlessness has found an excuse which in reality is no excuse - to break the laws of the land and steal the property of others. It is wrong. Now law enforcement may not go in and enforce the law but you can be sure that not one can hide from the face of God as He sees it all. So they are not getting away with anything. Not a thing.
Thank you Jeri, very nice post.

Sad to hear when a town has such a high poverty rate... Interestingly though, it's violent crime rate is lower than the national average. Sitting at 214.7. Kind of blows the whole "poverty linked to high crime rates" theory out the door.

Crime rate in Rich Hill Missouri MO murders rapes robberies assaults burglaries thefts auto thefts arson law enforcement employees police officers statistics

Poverty doesn't cause people to give up decent values; but lack of decent values often causes an increase in poverty in a society.

We is poe folk around here and still break the law, speeding through town that has a speed limit of 20 mph....

Crime is committed by them folks that is hungry for something and want it without working for it...I was convicted fo growing pot, which should not be a crime, cause I worked for it...

Far from poor and still pissed. There goes that theory.
The story just adds to my observation that its the people that you surround yourself with that determine whether you're rich or "Poor"

Forum List

Back