Russia meteor..awesome

percysunshine

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2011
This is really cool because it is the only video of a meteor breaking into pieces, on multiple cameras....with sound. Notice the dual vapor trails after the explosion. The estimates were the original meteor was in the ten to twenty ton range, but only a few hundred pounds made it to the surface. Everything else was vaporized. At 30km/second...shit happens.

Various videos at;

Videos: Meteor lights up Russian skies; Update: Injuries now up over 900 « Hot Air

This is just cool science. Fortuitous, frivolous, and fatuous, all rolled up into one package.

The DA14 asteroid fly-by is going to happen in about an hour. Usually these things come in clusters, but the Russia meteor came from the opposite orbital direction.

Maybe the Mayans were off a bit...

LOL at science for predicting every single meteor - except the one that actually hits.

LOL at science for predicting every single meteor - except the one that actually hits.

WTF????

You can predict a meteor hits every 10 years or something based on past evidence, but predicting a meteor will hit tomarrow at a certain time is not a prediction. It's a guess. Like guessing which numbers will win the Lotto.

Science. The bain of those on the.........

Russian parliament member says meteor was actually a U.S. weapons test

Shows the Russin Tea Party is just as "wacko" as ours.

Looks just like a missile coming in and exploding midair

There was a time this would have provoked a nuclear response

Looks just like a missile coming in and exploding midair

There was a time this would have provoked a nuclear response

Local news programs are claiming that the Russian Air Defence agency shot down the meteor. That is too funny. The thing was traveling at about 33,000 mph....chuckle

Makes me wonder if a HUGE meteor were heading our way would anyone say anything. Be like Armageddon without Bruce Willis saving us

Makes me wonder if a HUGE meteor were heading our way would anyone say anything. Be like Armageddon without Bruce Willis saving us

Define 'huge'...Something the size of a footbal field just explodes in the upper atmosphere. The friction is too severe to stay intact. Somewhere between 'football field' sized, and 'moon' sized, a meteor would make it to the surface intact.

That is the physics theory anyway. There is not much hard data on this stuff.

Asteroid
A relatively small, inactive, rocky body orbiting the Sun.

Comet
A relatively small, at times active, object whose ices can vaporize in sunlight forming an atmosphere (coma) of dust and gas and, sometimes, a tail of dust and/or gas.

Meteoroid
A small particle from a comet or asteroid orbiting the Sun.

Meteor
The light phenomena which results when a meteoroid enters the Earth's atmosphere and vaporizes; a shooting star.

Meteorite
A meteoroid that survives its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and lands upon the Earth's surface.

(source: NASA)

Define 'huge'...Something the size of a footbal field just explodes in the upper atmosphere. The friction is too severe to stay intact. Somewhere between 'football field' sized, and 'moon' sized, a meteor would make it to the surface intact.

I do wonder what kind of devastation an impact such as that would have...

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We just had a smaller meteor this time.

Heck of a coincidence it was in Russia...chuckle

Nasa said this one would have wiped out 800 sq miles.

Spooky stuff

Nasa said this one would have wiped out 800 sq miles.

Spooky stuff

There is not much data available to estimate things like that. NASA should just say 'We don't know.'

This is cool for another scientific reason. The Tunguska event was hearsay, conjecture, anecdotal, and eventually morphed into myth and UFO conspiracies. All because there was no real data other than a bunch of flattened trees.

This time, there are multiple independent accounts, video, sound, measurable damage, and pieces of the meteor found.

A nice calibration point that the astrophysics theory crowd will be scratching their heads about for some time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back