Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

The facts aren't what you initially claimed. They are quite a bit more complex. Was Bain ultimately responsible for Ampad's demise? Perhaps, but I don't see any evidence that Bain deliberately tried to destroy the company. Mismanagement is about the worst thing they are guilty of, and companies that go south because of mismanagement are a dime a dozen. I've worked for several such companies.

If they can't manage AmPad, then they can't manage the country, can they?

Sorry, what they did at AmPad was see it as a big shell through which to run other scams. At the end of the day, everyone lost- the investors, the workers, the community.

This is where we've gotten seriously off track as a country. We need to treat our manufacturing like it's a valued asset, not let every sleaze in a suit try to loot it.

And this is why the GOP will lose in November. Because people like you just don't understand why this is a bad thing.

You are as fucking ridiculous a far-left ideologue as rdean or any of these other assholes. You are predicatable and cartoonish in your far-left extremism and endlessly repetitive partisanship. It's really ok to be 'out of character' and act like a normal person for five fucking minutes, douchebag.

If I walk up to you in a bar and say insulting things about your mother's virtue, I'm probably not breaking the law, but I'd better be prepared to inflict or recieve an ass-kicking.

The person who gave you the ass-kicking is guilty of assault and will more than likely go to prison.

You cross a picket line and try to steal food off someone else's table, be prepared for the same.

Crossing a picket line isn't taking food off anyone's table anymore than choosing to shop at Piggly Wiggly rather than Giant Foods is "taking" food off the tables of Giant Foods employees. If some union thug assaults someone crossing a picket line, they have committed a crime, just as in your bar fight example. By definition, the worker crossing the picket line is innocent of any crime.

The problem is, unions stopped doing that sort of thing, and they've been in decline ever since.

Civilized people are grateful unions stopped assaulting innocent people. Only thugs approve of such behavior.

The person really responsible for the failure of AmPad was the retard who made the decision to buy a typewriter factory. The second person responsible was the union retard that started a strike on a company that was failing. There's BRILLIANCE for you. I notice that Romney did not intervene in AmPad's self-destruction on the advice of his lawyers. Bain was nothing more than a holding company. If the people really responsible for AmPad wanted to kill it, Bain wasn't going to stop such seriousness. What Romney was accused of was not doing enough to settle the strike. Such as, maybe having a company already failing agree to union demands for more benefits!

The American Pad and Paper company was acquired by Bain Capital, the venture capital firm Romney oversaw, in 1992. Two years later, Ampad bought an office supplies division, including a Marion, Ind., plant of typewriter maker Smith Corona. After a bitter strike, Ampad shuttered the plant in 1995, moving equipment and production to other factories.

Johnson, a union official at the plant, wrote a personal letter to Romney in early 1995, saying that Romney had not done enough to settle the strike, the Globe reported in 2008 .

“We really thought you might help,” Johnson said in the handwritten note, “but instead we heard excuses that were unacceptable from a man of your prominent position.”

Seems like if all those people lost their jobs when AmPad folded, the ones you really should be looking at for blame are the unions.

Yes, because it's easy to blame unions for actually standing up for the middle class.

If you are cutting salaries of the people doing the work in order to pay executives more, then there is just the issue of greed.... which is what happened at the Marion Plant. They fired everyone and then just rehired the younger guys with no benefits.

This was before the 1994 election, and Ted Kennedy used it to great effect.

And what Santorum is saying is that college isn't for everyone. That doesn't make him a nutcase. That makes him a realist. Barack Obama has the classic "intellectual's" bias that anyone who hasn't gone to college is an idiot who's point of view shouldn't count as heavily as theirs. Funny how it's the "idiot" that the intellectual usually calls to fix their plumbing, electrical wiring or car engine when they stop working because they don't have a clue what to do. It's just one more example of why THIS President is so sorely out of touch with the country he lives in. He doesn't understand blue collar people because he's never been a blue collar person or been in contact with them. He was raised in privileged circumstances and attended an exclusive private school. Oh, he purports to speak for the lower classes and minorities but he has nothing in common with them. He's a golf playing prep school nerd who used Affirmative Action to overcome his early "stoner" college work to get into some of the best colleges in the country and then parlay that into a lifetime of cushy jobs. Is it any wonder that he thinks EVERYONE should go to college? Sure beats working for a living...right Barack?

Oh, give me a break. You know very well why I criticised Santorum. It wasn't because he thinks that all kids aren't equipped for college. He's welcome to that opinion, and he may be right. My criticism is the way he criticised Obama. To call the POTUS (or anybody for that matter) an elitist or a snob because he thinks it's a worthy goal for all kids to have the opportunity to attend college, is beyond stupid and beyond petty. It's just one more example of Republicans attacking Obama no matter what he says. Obama didn't infer that electricians and plumbers are 'idiots'. Your ridiculous hyperbole fits right in with Santorum and the general mindset of the far-right. Get a fucking grip.

And now...if you go to college you don't "work for a living".

Un f'ing believable.

Yeah it's pretty surreal. Sad, really. These are the same people who hold up the 1% as something to strive for. The "job creators". How do they think the 1% made their money? I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd bet that the vast majority of the rich that the right seems to worship, went to college. This country is in serious trouble.

And this is why the GOP will lose in November. Because people like you just don't understand why this is a bad thing.

You are as fucking ridiculous a far-left ideologue as rdean or any of these other assholes. You are predicatable and cartoonish in your far-left extremism and endlessly repetitive partisanship. It's really ok to be 'out of character' and act like a normal person for five fucking minutes, douchebag.

Ain't a "right/left" thing, guy.

It's a simple equation, which Mike Huckabee understood. The people you work with vs. the people who lay you off.

Elections are ultimately about self-interest.

When you become a fucking US Citizen.

Nope. I was born a citizen. I didn't choose to become one.

You have chosen to stay past the age of 18. So yes, you agreed to the social contract.

ROFL! So if you choose not to leave the country of your birth, that means you have agreed to every page of the Internal Revenue code?

Sorry, but that doesn't wash. How does my living in a given local give some third party the right to impose anything on me? How is that a "contract?"

For a contract to be legal, both parties have to agree explicitly to every clause, sentence and period in it. Declining to move isn't agreeing to anything. I doubt you'll find any lawyers or judges who agree with your understanding of contracts.

Last edited:
Nope. I was born a citizen. I didn't choose to become one.

You have chosen to stay past the age of 18. So yes, you agreed to the social contract.

ROFL! So if you choose not to leave the country of your birth, that means you have agreed to every page of the Internal Revenue code?

Sorry, but that doesn't wash. How does my living in a given local give some third party the right to impose anything on me? How is that a "contract."

For a contract to be legal, both parties have to agree explicitly to every clause, sentence and period in it. Declining to move isn't agreeing to anything. I doubt you'll find any lawyers or judges who agree with your understanding of contracts.

Agree to it, try to change it, or fuck off to a place that's more in line with your thinking, like SOMALIA.

Agree to it, try to change it, or fuck off to a place that's more in line with your thinking, like SOMALIA.

You just enunciated the motto of a thug. That's exactly the kind of thinking exhibited by the warlords of Somalia.

Quote: Originally Posted by JoeB131

If I walk up to you in a bar and say insulting things about your mother's virtue, I'm probably not breaking the law, but I'd better be prepared to inflict or recieve an ass-kicking.

The person who gave you the ass-kicking is guilty of assault and will more than likely go to prison.

Not down here in the "Deep South" where we still have "fighting words" in the law

Last edited:
If all US kids go to college, who will be left to fix the toilets?

the ones who cant get work in the field they went to school for......and some who are working a lot of jobs and making good money will become full time Plumbers and start the cycle all over again.....

So how did college benefit them or society? It only benefited the college professors. And, of course, it gave the government an opportunity to brainwash everyone instead of only half the population.

i never stated it did.....i was answering Sunshine's Question.....

Last edited:

Not down here in the "Deep South" where we still have "fighting words" in the law

I've lived in Florida and Georgia. I don't recall any such laws.

Fighting words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. In its 9-0 decision, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942), the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine and held that "insulting or 'fighting words,' those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" are among the "well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech [that] the prevention and punishment of...have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem."

Incitement is a related doctrine, allowing the government to prohibit advocacy of unlawful actions if the advocacy is both intended to and likely to cause immediate breach of the peace. The modern standard was defined in Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969), where the Court reversed the conviction of a Ku Klux Klan leader accused of advocating violence against racial minorities and the national government. The Ohio statute under which the conviction occurred was overturned as unconstitutional because "the mere abstract teaching of the moral propriety or even moral necessity for a resort to force and violence, is not the same as preparing a group for violent action and steeling it to such action." [3]

The difference between incitement and fighting words is subtle, focusing on the intent of the speaker. Inciting speech is characterized by the speaker's intent to make someone else the instrument of his or her unlawful will. Fighting words, by contrast, are intended to cause the hearer to react to the speaker.

You just enunciated the motto of a thug. That's exactly the kind of thinking exhibited by the warlords of Somalia.

The same people you keep agreeing with, imagine that.

Uh, wrong. You're the one agreeing with them. You just enunciated their motto.

You also just endorsed using violence against innocent people. A Somali warlord would approve.

Forum List

Back