Santorum Accuses Obama Of 'Snobbery' For Wanting All U.S. Kids To Attend College

Everything in govt starts with a "wouldn't it be nice or a good idea, if...." and of course it isn't going to mandatory for whatever it is. At least at first, but down the road of course whatever new idiotic idea they have will be mandatory.

Everything in govt starts with a "wouldn't it be nice or a good idea, if...." and of course it isn't going to mandatory for whatever it is. At least at first, but down the road of course whatever new idiotic idea they have will be mandatory.

That's kind of the definition of a slippery slope fallacy.

I understand your reasoning, but do you have evidence that all government observations end in such a state?

Once again, Obama NEVER said it would be MANDATORY for EVERYONE to attend college. SANTORUM LIED. He lied to dumb you down, to give you the perception that college is bad.

Let me tell you about college.

Some of you think that if everyone has a degree, then college degrees will be worthless. Not true. There are quite a few different types of degrees available, many in fields where there are current shortages of qualified applicants.

But in addition to the education and diploma, there's the "college experience" to consider. It's one thing to live within a smalltown bubble during one's high school years, something else entirely to find as one's peers people from all across America, and even from around the world. Those new perspectives help students learn relationship skills and new ways of thinking. It also puts them at the forefront of trends.

There are also the greek houses. Joining a fraternity or a sorority doesn't give one membership just within that college, all the individual houses are connected. THIS CAN BE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ONE'S CAREER CHOICE. If a prospective employer sees that an applicant went to a different college but is a member of the same fraternity, that applicant has a far greater chance of being hired than anyone else with the same qualifications. But then, at the upper end one doesn't normally fill out applications, does one? No, the CEO and upper management scout the fraternities at their alma maters for potential hirees. So much for a high school graduate having the same opportunities.

The high school graduate isn't as fashionable, isn't able to keep up his or her end in conversations covering a wide array of topics, and the high school graduate does not have the right connections. Or a college degree.

As for college degrees destroying the fast food industry, college students can work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session, and go to full time on breaks.

I hope this helps.

But in addition to the education and diploma, there's the "college experience" to consider. It's one thing to live within a smalltown bubble during one's high school years, something else entirely to find as one's peers people from all across America, and even from around the world. Those new perspectives help students learn relationship skills and new ways of thinking. It also puts them at the forefront of trends.

There are also the greek houses. Joining a fraternity or a sorority doesn't give one membership just within that college, all the individual houses are connected. THIS CAN BE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ONE'S CAREER CHOICE. If a prospective employer sees that an applicant went to a different college but is a member of the same fraternity, that applicant has a far greater chance of being hired than anyone else with the same qualifications. .

Holy crap that was some weak, superfiicial nonsense.

If I were to write it all down in detail it would be too long. This is just a little taste for those that have absolutely no clue about college.

By all means, feel free to post something that expands on my post, something that goes deeper. No doubt it will be of benefit to the anti-education members.

At what cost?

At an appropriate cost as always.

That's a weasel, of course. What cost is "appropriate?" Should we sacrifice our standard of living for some nebulous goal of having and "educated population?" Should children go without orthodontia so near-do-well dilettantes can delay their adulthood? What should we give up?

We already spend too much on higher education. Much of what is taught is shear propaganda, like "women's studies." A teacher's degree is utterly worthless. We produce far too many psychologists, sociologists and English degrees.

What about 'not higher education', what about just basic education - the core education up to college age where people make the decision to carry on studying or find a job or whatever.
Do you not think that this should be of the highest standard achievable?
Surely you'd agree to that.

Stop concentrating on college education, that's only part of Obama's strategy.

At what cost?

At an appropriate cost as always.

That's a weasel, of course. What cost is "appropriate?" Should we sacrifice our standard of living for some nebulous goal of having and "educated population?" Should children go without orthodontia so near-do-well dilettantes can delay their adulthood? What should we give up?

We already spend too much on higher education. Much of what is taught is shear propaganda, like "women's studies." A teacher's degree is utterly worthless. We produce far too many psychologists, sociologists and English degrees.

Just to be clear....you're advocating that the gummint fund corrective dental work for all children?

By all means, feel free to post something that expands on my post, something that goes deeper. No doubt it will be of benefit to the anti-education members.

There is no point in 'expanding' on nonsense.

It is a decision we will make with our kids. It isn't Obama's business one way or the other. My kids are not wards of the State for him to decide what to do with their lives.

As I understand it, he aims to make it easier for your kids to go to College if you (collectively) decide that it's the thing to do.
I don't see compulsion in any statements.

You can relax...deep breath...that's good...in...out...in...out...hold...out...

The slippery slope argument is not a fallacy, dipshit.

I understand your reasoning, but do you have evidence that all government observations end in such a state?

You just said his reasoning was a fallacy, then you claim you understand it?

You need to go back and wrestle in a lower weight class.

Educated kids are elitists and Colleges just indoctrinate them to liberal ideology

Has some truth to it...Most professors are far to the left of the general society.

This is because they are well educated.

Wrong. It's because they are all sucking on the government tit. A college faculty is like a private club where the current members can keep out whomever they don't like. Once the leftists get control of it, no one on the right is ever admitted again. It has nothing to do with the quality of your education.

Just to be clear....you're advocating that the gummint fund corrective dental work for all children?

No. I'm saying that if parents have to pay higher taxes to support a bunch of lay-abouts who want to party for 4 years, then a lot of them won't have money to pay for things like orthodontia for their kids.

It is a decision we will make with our kids. It isn't Obama's business one way or the other. My kids are not wards of the State for him to decide what to do with their lives.

As I understand it, he aims to make it easier for your kids to go to College if you (collectively) decide that it's the thing to do.

Everything government does is based on compulsion.

No. I'm saying that if parents have to pay higher taxes to support a bunch of lay-abouts who want to party for 4 years, then a lot of them won't have money to pay for things like orthodontia for their kids.

Why do you hate education?

Everything government does is based on compulsion.

Rubbish!

The slippery slope argument is not a fallacy, dipshit.

You just said his reasoning was a fallacy, then you claim you understand it?

You need to go back and wrestle in a lower weight class.

This post wins the "Needed to be Said" award of the day.

Forum List

Back