Santorum: There's 'No Such Thing' As A Liberal Christian

How can anyone take this guy seriously?

Theocracy anyone?

Why don't you get back to us when you get President Obama from quoting scriptures and saying that his economic policies are based on his faith and the Bible?

What's the difference between them quoting scripture and talking about their faith so openly?

Obama was taking pot shots at Republicans. He wouldn't have made any different policy decisions with or without the Bible.

Santorum actually believes the stuff he is saying.

Here is what Santorum said that a Christian doesn't get to pick and choose what parts of the Bible they are going to live by IOW 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,'.

Let's take this concept out of the realm of religion and into the realm of politics.

The president is sworn to protect and uphold the Constitution.

If he decides 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' is he still upholding the Constitution?

No, he can't have it both ways, the can either protect and uphold the entire Constitution, or he has failed in his sworn duty.

Anyone disagree with that?

A Christian is not sworn to agree with and live by everything written in the Bible.

Of course they are.

Christians are the followers of the teachings of Jesus.
Matthew 22:37

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
Would you disobey someone who you love with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength and all your mind?

Jesus also stated plainly in Matthew 5:17-20

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Here is what Santorum said that a Christian doesn't get to pick and choose what parts of the Bible they are going to live by IOW 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,'.

Let's take this concept out of the realm of religion and into the realm of politics.

If he decides 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' is he still upholding the Constitution?

No, he can't have it both ways, the can either protect and uphold the entire Constitution, or he has failed in his sworn duty.

A Christian is not sworn to agree with and live by everything written in the Bible.

Of course they are.

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
Would you disobey someone who you love with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength and all your mind?

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Obviously a large number (probably the majority) of people who call themselves Christians interpret the Bible differently from you.

And therein will lie the problem with Santorum as a potential president - the majority of us accept that others have different interpretations and aren't trying to make national issues out of it.

By the way, did you answer the question about Noah's Ark? Do you take that story literally?

Here is what Santorum said....that a Christian doesn't get to pick and choose what parts of the Bible they are going to live by IOW 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,'.

Santorum is saying that the Bible is like the Constitution, you don't get to choose to uphold the parts you like and ignore the parts you don't like.

So you believe that Noah's Arc is real then? Do you follow the laws of Leviticus too?

There is a big difference between the interpretation of Noah's Ark and a straightforward statement of law.

As to Leviticus, Matthew 15:10-11:

10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

Of course they are.

Obviously a large number (probably the majority) of people who call themselves Christians interpret the Bible differently from you.

And therein will lie the problem with Santorum as a potential president - the majority of us accept that others have different interpretations and aren't trying to make national issues out of it.

So, how do you interpret the passages above?

Edit - Here is some help from the Bible Scholars...
This passage seems to suggest that an uncommitted Christian is not a Christian at all (see 5:20). Like other Jewish teachers, Jesus demanded whole obedience to the Scriptures (5:18-19); unlike most of his contemporaries, however, he was not satisfied with the performance of scribes and Pharisees, observing that this law observance fell short even of the demands of salvation (5:20). After grabbing his hearers' attention with such a statement, Jesus goes on to define God's law not simply in terms of how people behave but in terms of who they really are (5:21-48).

<snip>

Other sages used such language to grab attention and emphasize the importance of the law. But like Jesus, they did not want anyone to miss the point: God has not given us the right to pick and choose among his commandments. As some teachers put it, one should be as "careful with regard to a light commandment as you would be with a heavy one, since you do not know the allotment of the reward" (m. 'Abot 2:1). The sages were not suggesting that they never broke commandments (see Moore 1971:1:467-68), but rather believed that one who cast off any commandment or principle of the law was discarding the authority of the law as a whole (m. Horayot 1:3; Keener 1991a:115-17).

http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/Matt/Christians-Must-Obey-Gods-Law

Last edited:
In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian

Can you imagine a Santorum Presidency????? Good Grief, we would have to end cable tv so he could get on national tv and give us all a 3-4 hour mass every night. He would be praying the gayness out of people, ending contraceptives, telling people that sex is not enjoyable unless you are trying to make a baby. Outlawing gambling, what's next you ask? Prohibition and women wearing pup tents. Good Grief this guy is right out of the 14th century, even criticizes protestants.

:cuckoo::cuckoo:
In stark contrast to comments made earlier this week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum addressed the issue of now-President Barack Obama's Christian faith in a 2008 interview with the Oxford Centre for Religion and Public Life, Buzzfeed reported Tuesday.

When asked if he believed Obama is a "sincere liberal Christian," the former Pennsylvania senator said he didn't believe that sort of ideology exists, and that Obama's church, United Church of Christ in Chicago, had "abandoned Christendom" and used a non-literal interpretation of the Bible.

"I don't think there is such a thing," he said of Obama as a liberal Christian. "To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

More: Rick Santorum Questioned Obama's Faith In 2008, Said There's No Such Thing As A Liberal Christian

Can you imagine a Santorum Presidency????? Good Grief, we would have to end cable tv so he could get on national tv and give us all a 3-4 hour mass every night. He would be praying the gayness out of people, ending contraceptives, telling people that sex is not enjoyable unless you are trying to make a baby. Outlawing gambling, what's next you ask? Prohibition and women wearing pup tents. Good Grief this guy is right out of the 14th century, even criticizes protestants.

Whats so funny is that he wants government out of our lives but he would impose his far, far right religious views on us in a heartbeat and not call that a violation of our God given freedom and liberty.

He criticizes Obama constantly on infringing on our freedoms from the left but see's no problem with him infringing on our freedoms from the fringe right. Rather a double standard as the Constituion of the United States clearly dictates the separation of Church and State. Not for Santorum. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

AWOOOGAH!!! Conservatives Start To Sound The Alarm Over Rick Santorum’s Extremism | TPM2012

DRUDGE: SANTORUM'S SATAN WARNING

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America | rightwingwatch.org

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America - YouTube

It’s as if we’re being assailed by a deranged holy man in a sweater vest.

Obama's out there quoting scripture to beat the band. Do you have problems with the President?

Is he using it to badger people he doesn't know? Did he call Santorum's faith a "phony theology"? Obama is staying out of people's bedrooms. For a president, isn't it a "good" thing?

Of course they are.

By the way, did you answer the question about Noah's Ark? Do you take that story literally?

I think that it is quite clear from the bible that we are not to sit in judgement on other people, that is God's job, not ours. Somehow I don't think Santorum ever heard that sermon.

He has no problem subjecting his religious views onto the rest of us. He does more to turn people off to Christianity then to turn them to it.

I thought Roe v. Wade was the law of the land.

It is, and one of the important duties/obligations of being president is to defend the Constitution and enforce the laws of the land,

which means that by Santorum's own measures, were he elected, he would have to cease being a Christian in order to perform his sworn duties as president.

Of course they are.

37 Jesus replied: &#8220;&#8216;Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.&#8217;

17 &#8220;Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

I think that it is quite clear from the bible that we are not to sit in judgement on other people, that is God's job, not ours. Somehow I don't think Santorum ever heard that sermon.

He has no problem subjecting his religious views onto the rest of us. He does more to turn people off to Christianity then to turn them to it.

My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

...............................................................................................................
James 5:19-20

That's not judging, that is informing.

Last edited:
"To take what is plainly written and say that 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,' means you're not what you say you are. You're a liberal something, but you're not a Christian."

I would pay hard money to see Santorum say that in an inner city black church. I would stand in line all night to buy the tickets.

No. Seriously. I would. Real money. I'd pay. I will go to the ATM right now. Not kidding.

Santorum in a 2008 speech basically stated anyone who isn't Catholic is not a Christian--specifically attacking Protestants.

On today’s Up with Chris Hayes, the host unveiled a 2008 talk by Rick Santorum that could possibly be the only thing to make him lose the American religious vote: one in which he condemns “mainline protestantism,” of all things, and claims it is now “gone from the world of Christianity.” Needless to say, these sorts of words coming from a Catholic cannot inspire confidence in the sort of voter that looked askance at John F. Kennedy for being a Papist.

The speech is from a 2008 event at Ave Maria College in Florida, where Santorum notes that America was founded upon a Christian philosophy but “the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant one.” “We look at the shape of mainline protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it,” he concludes.

Chris Hayes Digs Up 2008 Santorum Speech Stating Protestants Are &#8216;Gone From The World Of Christianity&#8217; | Mediaite

It's true there is no such thing as a "liberal" Christian...

At least how "liberal" is presently defined by the retards who redefined the concept...

Here is what Santorum said....that a Christian doesn't get to pick and choose what parts of the Bible they are going to live by IOW 'I don't agree with that, therefore I don't have to pay attention to it,'.

Santorum is saying that the Bible is like the Constitution, you don't get to choose to uphold the parts you like and ignore the parts you don't like.

So you believe that Noah's Arc is real then? Do you follow the laws of Leviticus too?

There is a big difference between the interpretation of Noah's Ark and a straightforward statement of law.

10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

Is Leviticus not a straightforward statement of laws in the bible? And if you believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, then you believe that Noah's Ark really happened. If you don't, then you are selectively picking and choosing parts of the bible in which to believe. Same with following the laws of Leviticus.

I don't have a problem with people doing that. But I do have a problem with some people castigating others for doing it when they are doing the same thing.

My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

...............................................................................................................
James 5:19-20

That's not judging, that is informing.

So, what you are saying is that we need to change the laws of the land so we can save the sinner from his/her own destruction. Wow... how pompous, how arrogant. You do know that GOD gave us free will, right? You want to use our government to eliminate Free Will, which is very much putting yourself above God.

Informing people is one thing... Forcing them to bend to your will is quite another.

Is Leviticus not a straightforward statement of laws in the bible? And if you believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, then you believe that Noah's Ark really happened. If you don't, then you are selectively picking and choosing parts of the bible in which to believe. Same with following the laws of Leviticus.

I don't have a problem with people doing that. But I do have a problem with some people castigating others for doing it when they are doing the same thing.

If he believes in Leviticus, he should also be eating only kosher food and stoning people to death who blend two fibers.

But mostly, why does anyone think what Jesus said should govern what our laws are? Because frankly, Jesus has no more meaning to me than Buddha does and Buddha's followers are a lot mellower.

Last edited:

Good point... isn't that exactly what Santorum is talking about? Picking and choosing the parts of the bible that you support? All those myriad of items in the seemingly never ending "do's and don'ts" list of Leviticus don't really matter.....EXCEPT for the homosexuality thing....that's the one that matters....everything else is a non-issue.

and people who grow two crops in one field must be stoned....

and you should not have intercourse with your wife till 7 days after she stops bleeding.....which is the most fertile time and all

people choice and pick what verses they want to folllow

and people who grow two crops in one field must be stoned....

and you should not have intercourse with your wife till 7 days after she stops bleeding.....which is the most fertile time and all

people choice and pick what verses they want to folllow

bazinga!

bummer that they decide to leave out the whole "judge not" parts of the bible. and the give unto caesar what is caesar's part... and the take care of the poor part... and the ... well, you get the picture.

Forum List

Back