Sassy Ben Sasse: last thing we need is politicians who racked up $22trillion to go on earmark binge!

a step in the right direction, the GOP bans earmarks! Senate Republicans permanently ban earmarks

This is part of the fruit of John McCain's misguided posturing on this issue. Earmarks are neither good nor bad in and of themselves. It all depends on how they are used. When Congress "banned" earmarks, Congress surrendered more power to the executive branch, because when Congress does not stipulate how certain funds are used, the president and cabinet heads get to decide how those funds are spent. Plus, earmarks were a key way to break gridlock and achieve compromise. Senators and Representatives could be convinced to support a bill that would be unpopular back home, but they would be able to tell their constituents that they got X amount of dollars for a project in their district or state.

pork -

220 degrees - 12-14 hours - sea salt, cracked black pepper rub - sauce on the side

award winning Texas tradition.

a step in the right direction, the GOP bans earmarks!

Senate Republicans permanently ban earmarks
Now this..is prudence governance..and a true bit of swamp draining! No more pork promises...This actually reduces the power of individual Senators to peddle their influence, at our expense! I know that there has been a 'gentleman's agreement' in place for a while..but I was sure that they would go back to business as usual.

It's not often I've been proud of anything our Govt. has done..but I'm proud of this.

iu

pork -

220 degrees - 12-14 hours - sea salt, cracked black pepper rub - sauce on the side

award winning Texas tradition.

I'm sorry to admit but I love the pulled pork with North Carolina vinegar sauce. Just me.

term limits needs to replace pork -

Yes, our founding fathers never envisioned people making a career of being in Washington. They saw people like themselves taking off from running their farms or businesses to serve the country for some time and then going back to their farms and business.

Two terms as a Senator and four as a Representative. If you've served four as a Representative, you have one as a Senator.

At the same time, repeal the Seventeenth Amendment.

term limits needs to replace pork -

Yes, our founding fathers never envisioned people making a career of being in Washington. They saw people like themselves taking off from running their farms or businesses to serve the country for some time and then going back to their farms and business.

Two terms as a Senator and four as a Representative. If you've served four as a Representative, you have one as a Senator.

At the same time, repeal the Seventeenth Amendment.
Actually 3 terms as a rep is the same as a senator they serve 6 years as I recall.

Forum List

Back