Save The Nutria!

Fetch the lawyers! The nutria have a right to be there too! :laugh:

After all, it's California.

Invasive 20-pound rodents increasingly burrowing into California
Good eating, I hear.
I have had Nutria sausage. Not bad.

You could put pig anus in sausage and it wouldnt taste bad.
Some Sulzewursts & Blutwursts are not my thing. However, for the most part, definitely.

I used to get around 200 lbs of sausage a year made when I hunted a lot.
It really depended on the animal as to whether I turned it into sausage or steak.

The Axis I had steaked out from end to end.
It had zero gamey taste and was akin to a lean piece of beef as they only eat grass.

View attachment 176124

The only thing I steak out on a whitetail is the back strap,the rest makes sausage.

View attachment 176125
Did you bag those? The rack on that first one is awesome. They are beautiful animals but damn they taste good!

Good eating, I hear.

Some Sulzewursts & Blutwursts are not my thing. However, for the most part, definitely.

It really depended on the animal as to whether I turned it into sausage or steak.

It had zero gamey taste and was akin to a lean piece of beef as they only eat grass.

View attachment 176124

The only thing I steak out on a whitetail is the back strap,the rest makes sausage.

View attachment 176125
Did you bag those? The rack on that first one is awesome. They are beautiful animals but damn they taste good!

Not those particular animals but many of mine are bigger.
The Axis roams the Texas Hill Country as an exotic brought from India to game ranches years back and they've escaped and have done quite well here.
The best part is as they are not a native species you can shoot them year around.

Texas is full of exotic game.
upload_2018-2-11_20-3-45.png

upload_2018-2-11_20-4-47.png

And this just scratches the surface.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-11_20-4-7.png
    upload_2018-2-11_20-4-7.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
I either steak out the whitetail

the rest is what a call stew meat or fry meat

I do make a lot of hamburger,chile meat and stew meat out of my whitetails.
In my opinion the major muscle groups of the white tail are too gamey without going through a process that I find tiresome when I can drop an Axis that taste like lean beef through and through.

View attachment 176124

View attachment 176125

The Axis roams the Texas Hill Country as an exotic brought from India to game ranches years back and they've escaped and have done quite well here.
The best part is as they are not a native species you can shoot them year around.

View attachment 176127
View attachment 176129

Wow! Those were all bagged in Texas? Very cool stuff! Thank you.

View attachment 176124

View attachment 176125

View attachment 176127
View attachment 176129

Like I said,that just scratches the surface.
upload_2018-2-11_20-11-36.png

upload_2018-2-11_20-11-53.png

upload_2018-2-11_20-12-18.png

upload_2018-2-11_20-12-50.png

upload_2018-2-11_20-13-48.png

View attachment 176124

View attachment 176125

View attachment 176127
View attachment 176129

View attachment 176130
View attachment 176131
View attachment 176132
View attachment 176133

View attachment 176134
What does it taste like? Did you mount the rack? These are invasive? How many are estimated to be in Texas? What is the bottom species called...Axis as well? These are all wild species or are they on hunting reserves?

View attachment 176124

View attachment 176125

View attachment 176127
View attachment 176129

View attachment 176130
View attachment 176131
View attachment 176132
View attachment 176133

View attachment 176134
What does it taste like? Did you mount the rack? These are invasive? How many are estimated to be in Texas? What is the bottom species called...Axis as well? These are all wild species or are they on hunting reserves?

You can find all these animals roaming the Texas Hill Country and you can shoot em year round.
Some of the pics are from Game ranches but you still find them in the wild frequently.
The Axis is the most common thankfully as they taste the best.

View attachment 176124

View attachment 176125

View attachment 176127
View attachment 176129

View attachment 176130
View attachment 176131
View attachment 176132
View attachment 176133

View attachment 176134

The meat of the Axis tastes like lean grass fed beef.
Yes I do have a few racks mounted.
No thats the Nilgai Antelope.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-11_20-36-9.png
    upload_2018-2-11_20-36-9.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 15
I either steak out the whitetail

the rest is what a call stew meat or fry meat

I do make a lot of hamburger,chile meat and stew meat out of my whitetails.
In my opinion the major muscle groups of the white tail are too gamey without going through a process that I find tiresome when I can drop an Axis that taste like lean beef through and through.

here out west they seem a little gamey however in the east and southern Minnesota they are pretty much corn fed

better then any beef

Fetch the lawyers! The nutria have a right to be there too! :laugh:

After all, it's California.

Invasive 20-pound rodents increasingly burrowing into California

One time in LaMarque, I was at a gas station drinking a coke after an archery tournament. Was gabbing with a TPWD dude as we watshed nutria rat’s doing their thing. We saw a huge one, so I got the bow ready. I would shoot, and if the critter was still there, he would take a shot. I hit that thing with an old fashioned bear razor head while said rat was in the water. Orr just kept on swimming. Here, we shoot them, as many as we can as fast as we can and toss them on the burn pile or compost heap if we even bother. They are lower then feril pigs.

Forum List

Back