SC Just Stuck It To The Labor Unions

I'm not sure if you can see this or not, but that argument is really weak.

Unions helped bring about a 40 hour work week decades ago. By your logic, everyone in America should pay the unions for that. The same for anything that helps other people.

We all should be paying dues to the phone switching company, the auto manufacturer; hell, the inventor of velcro or a thousand other things that help everyone.

Sorry, but it is un-American to require people to pay protection money. That's why it is against the law.
The 40 hour week is federal law. The wages and benefits in a union shop that are greater than those protected by federal law are in place due to union/company negotiations. So, at least in my situation, the unions negotiated the wage rate, the benefits package and the workplace conditions. You need to consider that.
I have. The bottom line is we do not charge people who benefit from the actions that were not taken in their behalf. You may say that the unions are working in their behalf, but the truth is, the unions are working for their own purposes.

To Me, the dues being forced on nonmembers was nothing more than figuratively sending hired muscle into the neighborhood businesses and demanding extortion money so they wouldn't break the store owners legs.

I did, however; think that the SCOTUS would rule in favor of the Unions. Looks like I didn't call that one right.
Just because you have a cynical idea of what organized labor is and does on behalf of the workers, it does not bear truth.

You make unions sound as if they are the mafia extorting and robbing innocent companies.
In some cases that's exactly what they are, in others not, depends on the particular union you're talking about.

If you want the lowest possible pay rates, the poorest workplace conditions and no benefits to the workers, fine. It's been tried before. But to what end?
Yeah it's been tried before and it works just fine, ask all the non-union workers at Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet, etc..,etc..., if you need more details.
Do those companies provide fair wage rates, safe and clean workplace conditions and generous benefits? Perhaps, in those cases, organized labor is not necessary.

What about the companies that do not provide fair wage rates, safe and clean workplace conditions and benefit packages? Do the workers there have a right to organize?

Of course they have a right to organize, freedom of association is an inherent human right, what they don't have a right to do is use government coercion to force employers into collective bargaining.

… and there is no such thing as "fair" wage rates, there are market rates if you think you deserve more than what the market thinks your labor is worth then you're living in fantasy land and you don't need unions for "safe and clean workplace conditions" we already have multiple government agencies at the Federal and State levels that regulate that.

In some cases that's exactly what they are, in others not, depends on the particular union you're talking about.

Yeah it's been tried before and it works just fine, ask all the non-union workers at Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet, etc..,etc..., if you need more details.
Do those companies provide fair wage rates, safe and clean workplace conditions and generous benefits? Perhaps, in those cases, organized labor is not necessary.

What about the companies that do not provide fair wage rates, safe and clean workplace conditions and benefit packages? Do the workers there have a right to organize?

Apple's factory is a child-labor factory in China, dumbshit. Their employees jump out of windows routinely. You figure it out.
Are labor unions legal in China? Authoritarians do not recoguthe rights of labor, here or in Beijing.
Yes they are...government sponsored ones. Federal government unions need to be taught they don’t run this country.
Do federal employee unions 'run' the country? Hard to believe with Republican control of the congress and White House.
yes they do. When a conservative POTUS tries to institute change they don’t follow through and undermine it from within.

Republicans are stupid for being anti-union. If you believe in freedom of association then you should believe in unions. That is, if you're not a hypocrite. Hating how big unions can sometimes be corrupt as hell and conduct their business through thuggish tactics isn't unique to unions. Hate on corruption and thuggish tactics, not people associating together to try to get paid what they feel they deserve to make.

That said, no one should be forced into a union, which speaks to the thuggish tactics mentioned above. Forcing someone into a union (a public sector union no less) is a violation of their individual rights to associate or not associate with whoever they want. The fact that there were 4 supreme court justices believe you should be extorted of your money just because a group claims to be looking out for your interests is frightening.
I was in a Union for 7 years, and they didn't do anything other than grease me before the company screwed me.
Which is exactly why you shouldn't be forced into being in a union.

But to claim unions are universally bad is just wrong. We largely owe things like the 40 hour work week and safe working conditions to unions that came together during the industrial revolution. You could make the argument that unions are a bit outdated in the necessity, but as long as they're negotiating in good faith and reason on behalf of the people that comprise the union, there's nothing to hate. Disagree, sure.
Our union reps stopped working and just chased women, drank coffee, and missed every shop meeting we had.
Just like Directors and CEOs on Wall Street.
There’s dirty business everywhere.

Apple's factory is a child-labor factory in China, dumbshit. Their employees jump out of windows routinely. You figure it out.
Are labor unions legal in China? Authoritarians do not recoguthe rights of labor, here or in Beijing.
Yes they are...government sponsored ones. Federal government unions need to be taught they don’t run this country.
Do federal employee unions 'run' the country? Hard to believe with Republican control of the congress and White House.
yes they do. When a conservative POTUS tries to institute change they don’t follow through and undermine it from within.
There's always a scapegoat with you people. The buck never stops anywhere, let alone with those who are the n positions of power.

When you won in 2016 you didn't just win the right to gloat. You won the responsibility to govern.

There's always a scapegoat with you people. The buck never stops anywhere, let alone with those who are the n positions of power.

When you won in 2016 you didn't just win the right to gloat. You won the responsibility to govern.
I think we are.

You liberals have had a long time to fuck-up the United States. It will take awhile to fix it.

That's odd because Apple doesn't own any factories in China.

'Mass suicide' protest at Apple manufacturer Foxconn factory

Revealed: Inside Apple's Chinese 'sweatshop' factory where workers are paid just £1.12 per hour | Daily Mail Online

Foxconn is not owned or operated by Apple, they merely make things for Apple

They pay FoxConn; are you really that stupid?

Foxconn doesn't make the iPad and iPhone PCBs. At least I don't think they do. Several factories in China produce what it takes to make Apple products.

Which means the factory is not Apples.
Which means Apple does not give a shit about how these people are treated.

Without a doubt. Why would they? Apple has one purpose on this earth, that is to make a profit, the only purpose any business has.

Without a doubt. Why would they? Apple has one purpose on this earth, that is to make a profit, the only purpose any business has.
I would pay more for any product to avoid empowering a Totalitarian nation.

'Mass suicide' protest at Apple manufacturer Foxconn factory
Yeah FOXCONN aka Hon Hai Precision it's not owned by Apple nor does Apple directly employ anybody that works there, they're a huge third party manufacturer that does work for many companies besides Apple.

If you want to take up the cause for the need for Unionizing Foxconn employees, knock yourself out but it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not APPLE employees needed unions to secure the compensation they're currently getting (they didn't and still don't).

And you are free to do so, there are lots of products made in other places.

Well it's nice to know that Apple has at least one customer for that $15,000 iPhone SE manufactured here in the United States.

…Personally I'll stick with the current arrangement since I don't really care if they manufacture the iPhone in Hell using the blood of the Martyrs as long as the value proposition is an attractive one, I'll keep buying them.

Well it's nice to know that Apple has at least one customer for that $15,000 iPhone SE manufactured here in the United States.

…Personally I'll stick with the current arrangement since I don't really care if they manufacture the iPhone in Hell using the blood of the Martyrs as long as the value proposition is an attractive one, I'll keep buying them.
It won’t cost that much.

Even if it's embedded with a "spy chip" to monitor everything you do?

Forum List

Back