Scroll less to reach the USMB forums you visit most each day.

monkrules

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2017
I came up with a simple menu of my favorite USMB forums that should make it a bit easier and faster to get around the board.

Since many members show thousands of posts below their avatars I figure they’re doing an awful lot of scrolling to reach their favorite forums during the course of a day.

I spend most of my USMB time on about ten forums. And because they’re placed far apart on the Index page I have to scroll through as many as eight pages each time I want to check what’s happening on the various forums I like. In the course of a day that can amount to a lot of scrolling. So, tonight I created a list of their links using a ‘notes’ app that has a floating window option.

Since other members might find this useful, too, I’ve pasted a screenshot below. To create the list, I just clicked on each forum’s name (on the Index page) and dragged it to the note document. Most any word processing or notes app should work, as long as it shows active links. (There may be a Preference setting you have to select). There are various ways to get the list out of sight as you post or read the forum.

USMB forum list.png

USMB draft page.png

I came up with a simple menu of my favorite USMB forums that should make it a bit easier and faster to get around the board.

Since many members show thousands of posts below their avatars I figure they’re doing an awful lot of scrolling to reach their favorite forums during the course of a day.

I spend most of my USMB time on about ten forums. And because they’re placed far apart on the Index page I have to scroll through as many as eight pages each time I want to check what’s happening on the various forums I like. In the course of a day that can amount to a lot of scrolling. So, tonight I created a list of their links using a ‘notes’ app that has a floating window option.

Since other members might find this useful, too, I’ve pasted a screenshot below. To create the list, I just clicked on each forum’s name (on the Index page) and dragged it to the note document. Most any word processing or notes app should work, as long as it shows active links. (There may be a Preference setting you have to select). There are various ways to get the list out of sight as you post or read the forum.

View attachment 163122

View attachment 163123

Simple idea. Wish I had thought about that.

You can make a menu using the "watched forums" feature.
I get alerts for threads I'm interested in.

But, in checking the Watched Forums feature I saw no way to construct a "custom menu" that would allow one to click on a link to be taken to a specific forum.

That would be a useful feature. That's why I finally put together the list I posted about.

But, in checking the Watched Forums feature I saw no way to construct a "custom menu" that would allow one to click on a link to be taken to a specific forum.

That would be a useful feature. That's why I finally put together the list I posted about.

Just select "watch forum" on the forums you like, and a menu will be constructed automatically.

2017-11-29 17.59.37.png

Just select "watch forum" on the forums you like, and a menu will be constructed automatically.

View attachment 163335
Thanks for the information. I'd never noticed the Watch Forum link at the top of each forum.

I tried it out for a while and it's nice. But the small floating window I've set up on my own works better for me. It's just easier and faster to use. Of course it might just be that I'm already used to using it.

I'll keep using both options for a while. It's always good to have choices. I'm going to try the Watch Thread feature, too.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Why does someone need a short cut to find easy stuff that the "new posts" or the forum lists can easily do for them ???

Here's a final screenshot of my floating menu. You can see I've just made the window a bit smaller and repositioned it on the screen so it's out of the way. It becomes sort of "invisible" after using it for a while.

For members who are Mac users, there's a useful note taking app available that you may want to give a test drive. It's a Mac only app called Growly Notes. It's available from the Apple store for 4.99.

I keep it open all the time and use all day long for writing drafts of posts, notes, memos, any kind of list, etc. Loads of features, all for very little money.

Growly menu USMB.png

Why does someone need a short cut to find easy stuff that the "new posts" or the forum lists can easily do for them ???
Because, as I said in my OP, to get to the links to the forums that I like the most, I have to scroll through as many as eight pages. Doing this over a period of time soon becomes a pain. The floating menu makes switching to another forum pretty much instantaneous. It's just faster and easier.

I want to spend my time reading posts, not scrolling endlessly in search of needed links.

Forum List

Back