Sean Penn: The "Malvinas"

Yawn... really, trying to make this fiasco look good is kind of sad.

Killing a thousand people over barren Islands and some sheep.... I honestly hope our species can survive our own stupidity...

I guess you yawn everytime somebody points out your ignorance and that you got your facts wrong again.

No, I yawn when people try to defend stupidity.

I'm not a pacifist. I served for 11 years in the US Army, and would have had no compunctions about fighting for my country.

BUt I am offended by wars fought for purely stupid reasons, and the politicians who start them.

A very wise man compared the Falklands war to "Two Bald Men fighting over a comb". And somehow, if your so was one of people who died in that war, you wouldn't consider it worth it.

How dare you use the deaths of those who died in the Falklands to prop up your fucking political agenda! What do you know about the feelings of those who were involved! I am a Falklands vet. None of us ever considered it not worth it and I can assure you, neither did the parents and loved ones of those who gave their lives.

Go talk about something you KNOW about, instead of demeaning the memory of my brothers!

I guess you yawn everytime somebody points out your ignorance and that you got your facts wrong again.

I'm not a pacifist. I served for 11 years in the US Army, and would have had no compunctions about fighting for my country.

BUt I am offended by wars fought for purely stupid reasons, and the politicians who start them.

A very wise man compared the Falklands war to "Two Bald Men fighting over a comb". And somehow, if your so was one of people who died in that war, you wouldn't consider it worth it.

How dare you use the deaths of those who died in the Falklands to prop up your fucking political agenda! What do you know about the feelings of those who were involved! I am a Falklands vet. None of us ever considered it not worth it and I can assure you, neither did the parents and loved ones of those who gave their lives.

Go talk about something you KNOW about, instead of demeaning the memory of my brothers!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I'm so ashamed that an American said that, Col.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I'm so ashamed that an American said that, Col.

Nah. No need to be. He's just an arsehole.

Again, sending a bunch of poor kids off to die over bullshit is evil... not even sure why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

I bet if your son was one of the ones being sent to die, you wouldn't be soooo keen on it.

Since my brothers are among those who have fought for my country... I am well aware of the seriousness of war. Which is why I do not rant about 'being sent to die' like you do.

Britain didn't start that war.... they responded to an invasion.... which they were right to do. Unlike you, some of us believe in fighting for our country.

They were fighting over crappy islands they were happy to give away a few years before. It's not quite the same thing.

You all talk about the Junta was using it as a distraction, but so was Thatcher. He administration of the UK's economy was a fucking disaster in the early 1980's. So she needed a nice distraction, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if the leaders and wealthy had their kids in the firing line... we'd probably have less wars that way.

How many more times in this thread are you going to make yourself look utterly stupid? There was NEVER a time that we were willing to turn the islands over...as I have previously shown. Go check the facts before you open your cakehole and vomit lies.

Since my brothers are among those who have fought for my country... I am well aware of the seriousness of war. Which is why I do not rant about 'being sent to die' like you do.

Britain didn't start that war.... they responded to an invasion.... which they were right to do. Unlike you, some of us believe in fighting for our country.

They were fighting over crappy islands they were happy to give away a few years before. It's not quite the same thing.

You all talk about the Junta was using it as a distraction, but so was Thatcher. He administration of the UK's economy was a fucking disaster in the early 1980's. So she needed a nice distraction, too.

Wouldn't it be nice if the leaders and wealthy had their kids in the firing line... we'd probably have less wars that way.

How many more times in this thread are you going to make yourself look utterly stupid? There was NEVER a time that we were willing to turn the islands over...as I have previously shown. Go check the facts before you open your cakehole and vomit lies.

He did repeat it several times. I was uncertain of the facts but my understanding was that Britain was not negotiating to give the islands 'back'.

He did repeat it several times. I was uncertain of the facts but my understanding was that Britain was not negotiating to give the islands 'back'.

As a result of a UN resolution, Britain and Argentina were asked attempt to find a peaceful solution to the question of sovereignty. They spent seventeen years arguing the toss and neither side could find common ground. There was never a time when Britain could be regarded as 'happy to give the islands away'. That is a fabrication from the distorted mind of a know nothing fool.

Let me give you a hint. Killing hundreds of people over flag-waving bullshit is evil.

Even a lot of sensible Brits realized this at the time.

I'm glad you've come to the realization that the ill-advised decision of the Argentinians to start this war was not only stupid but also evil.

There was plenty of stupidity on both sides.

Stupid of the Argies to invade, stupid of Thatcher to start a war over it.

But most of all...stupid of you to demonstrate your ignorance of events outside of your small parochial bubble.

As a result of a UN resolution, Britain and Argentina were asked attempt to find a peaceful solution to the question of sovereignty. They spent seventeen years arguing the toss and neither side could find common ground. There was never a time when Britain could be regarded as 'happy to give the islands away'. That is a fabrication from the distorted mind of a know nothing fool.

I need to read up on the whole thing. I've only read one book about it... Spearhead something.... I forget the title... but it was about the war itself... I should read up on the political buildup I think.

I'm sure that your nation is grateful for your sacrifice though... seems you Falklands Vets are a popular bunch.

I'm glad you've come to the realization that the ill-advised decision of the Argentinians to start this war was not only stupid but also evil.

There was plenty of stupidity on both sides.

Stupid of the Argies to invade, stupid of Thatcher to start a war over it.

But most of all...stupid of you to demonstrate your ignorance of events outside of your small parochial bubble.

Stupid of Joey to think that defending ones territory is 'starting a war'.... but that is the level of intellect you're dealing with on this one, Col.

The people of those islands think they're worth fighting and dying for. Perhaps they have more courage than you.

Britain didn't force Argentina to invade, the Argies chose to do that... mainly to deflect from their horrible internal issues at that time... the invasion was more about the Argie Government trying to distract its own citizens from their clusterfuck than it was over any real claim.

They have no claim on the Falklands.... those islands are British territory... the islanders choose to remain British and Britain has pledged to protect that.

Of course, if you don't give a shit about others, then 1000 people is too high a price. And.... it was 255 on the British side..... those are the only deaths that count. Argentina invaded so those 649 deaths are their responsibility.

Actually, Argentina has as good a claim to those Islands as the UK has.

And one more time, the UK was negotiating to turn them over WHEN Argentina just got tired of waiting and invaded. But because 1000 sheepherders who lived their didn't want to leave, hey, let's have a war, let's kill a thousand people.

Frankly, you look at any screwed up part of the world, usually the British Empire had its fingers all over it.

Chickenhawks.gif

No. The UK was NOT negotiating to turn them over to Argentina! Both parties were responding to a UN resolution to conduct negotiations to find a peaceful solution to the issue of sovereignty. No common ground was ever found even after seventeen years of on/off talks and to this day, the UK position is that the Islands remain British for as long as the islanders consider themselves British.

As for the rest of your rhetoric...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, mate.

Thank you.

And thank you for your service in defending the Commonwealth and the values for which we stand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSy1OS1ePyQ]Candle burns for Falklands War heroes 02.04.12 - YouTube[/ame]

Strange then that the British decided to re-elect Thatcher with an overwhelming majority and the Argentinians decided to boot out their junta. Guess One of the two was a bit more stupid than the other?

NO, they were both stupid. One can only hope our species can survive that kind of stupidity.

Leftists like you hate Margaret Thatcher, that's for sure.

Even smart people do stupid things... And this was kind of stupid.

A lot of smart brits thought so at the time and think so now.

Frankly, if I were someone waiting six months for cancer treatment, and the government was spending a few billion a year maintaining the capability to defend sheep in the South Atlantic, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Well, I guess some of you must love you some sheep, then.

It was an incredibly stupid thing to start or fight a war over.

Clearly, there were a lot of wise British people who saw this for what it was, preening politicians throwing the lives of the best young people away so they can feel tough.

But killing a thousand people over crappy, windswept islands? The height of foolishness. But I guess when you are living off the memories of glory days, you engage in these sad acts of bravado.

The Sun has Set on the British Empire...

NO, they were both stupid. One can only hope our species can survive that kind of stupidity.

Frankly, if I were someone waiting six months for cancer treatment, and the government was spending a few billion a year maintaining the capability to defend sheep in the South Atlantic, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Once again you demonstrate your sheer ignorance of life outside of your tiny parochial bubble. One doesn't wait six months for cancer treatment. You are treated immediately...as was I last year. And what, in your mistaken mind do you call 'a LOT of smart Brits'? Six? Twenty? One hundred? :lol: You're even more stupid than I first gave you credit for.

Clearly, there were a lot of wise British people who saw this for what it was, preening politicians throwing the lives of the best young people away so they can feel tough.

But killing a thousand people over crappy, windswept islands? The height of foolishness. But I guess when you are living off the memories of glory days, you engage in these sad acts of bravado.

:lol: I keep forgetting how some of you morons know more about overseas countries and their people than the people who live there, but hey. You just keep demonstrating how truly ignorant you are because I find you an amusing, but daft, distraction.

Once again you demonstrate your sheer ignorance of life outside of your tiny parochial bubble. One doesn't wait six months for cancer treatment. You are treated immediately...as was I last year. And what, in your mistaken mind do you call 'a LOT of smart Brits'? Six? Twenty? One hundred? :lol: You're even more stupid than I first gave you credit for.

Well, Roger Waters. One of the Brits I actually respect.

And ummmm, from what the guys who oppose universal health care, including a lot of your new Right Wing friends on this thread, they always point out how horrible health care is in your country when reminding us why we shouldn't have universal health care in this one.

So what were those riots about last year if they weren't about the fact you guys are broke?

:lol: I keep forgetting how some of you morons know more about overseas countries and their people than the people who live there, but hey. You just keep demonstrating how truly ignorant you are because I find you an amusing, but daft, distraction.

Again, guy, you fought a war over Islands were they only had a few people and lots of sheep. For what it cost to fight that war, you could have paid each sheepherder a million dollars to go live somewhere nice.

Again, guy, you fought a war over Islands were they only had a few people and lots of sheep. For what it cost to fight that war, you could have paid each sheepherder a million dollars to go live somewhere nice.

That's your opinion, but it seems that most here recognise your opinion for what it's worth. Nothing. They are, of course, right.

That's your opinion, but it seems that most here recognise your opinion for what it's worth. Nothing. They are, of course, right.

not sure who "most people" here are or why you would care what other people think all that much. If you are going through life lving for the praise of others, you will always be disappointed.

Again, given the loss of life over a region where no one wanted to live of such little value, the war was a joke. We made songs in this country at the time mocking it, because we all thought it was so stupid.

But someone waves a flag and says, "Go fight a war", you will always get people dumb enough to do it. I was dumb enough to do it when I was younger. Now I know better.

Forum List

Back