Seattle Bans Potentially Offensive Words Like 'Citizen' and 'Brown Bag'

Well, unless you are one of those "dreadful" public employees working for the City of Seattle, why do you care?

To ‘refrain from’ is not to ‘ban,’ and the memo concerns city employees only, not the general public.

This is yet another non-issue, a failed attempt by the right to contrive a controversy where none exists.

I'm not sure this is a left and right thing. I've seem political pundits on both sides of the political spectrum make fun of this. I don't think this issue in considered controversial as opposed to mind numbingly stupid.

newspeak [ˈnjuːˌspiːk]
n
the language of bureaucrats and politicians, regarded as deliberately ambiguous and misleading
[from 1984, a novel by George Orwell]

As we sit and watch 1984 unfolding before our eyes daily...

Is a sack lunch offensive to males?

I don't know about the brown bag thing, but I think the "citizen" part is for illegal immigrants maybe? I guess illegals are offended by the word citizen. I would think the word citizen would be enough to light up an immigrants eyes with tears of joy.

I also think the word "Seattleite" should be banned. It's very rude to people who live in Spokane and want to be in Seattle but aren't able to leave.

Whoa! Why you be trashin' Spokane?

Oh for Gods sake. Suck it up people, and stop turning an every day item into something racist!

Noomi, why is American politics so important to you?

Can't you mind your business? Are Americans getting involved in your countries politics?

What do you even do with your life? Is it that boring? Too bad they took away all your guns. At least you'd have some recreation down there.

I agree with your sentiment of course, but still...

This is a forum for everyone, regardless of where they come from, and your politics affects us, as you may well know.

Whatever America does, it effects the world, same cannot be said of most other countries, including Aussieland.

I won't be silent. This shit will spread and the only way to stop it is to NOT shut up!!!!

Freedom!!!!

Last edited:
I won't be silent. This shit will spread and the only way to stop it is to NOT shut up!!!!

Freedom!!!!

Okey doke dude. Most employers have some stupid rules and regulations that interfere with our perfect freedom in some way. It isn't like they can't say "brown-bag" in their own homes or something.

There is no ban of these words in Seattle. A bullshit thread title is like heroin to you fuckers.

There is no ban of these words in Seattle. A bullshit thread title is like heroin to you fuckers.

you just haven't heard about it yet. when you least expect it, the Ministry of Caring will break into your bathroom, put a brown bag over your head, and drag you away to to the Sharing Center with your pants still around your ankles. I read it on Breitbart! :eusa_shifty:

When will people protest this shit? Don't let it happen.

I don't see this being reversed.

One morning in our recent history, America woke up as dainty as a daisy. Terribly sensitive to any word (word!) that bruised our tender sensibilities or hurt our little "feelings". And our righteous and holy obligation is now to proclaim our emotional injury to the world and demand immediate retribution upon the low-life scum who dared to victimize us with such grievous viscerous damage.

Watch what you say. After all, this America.

Last edited:
When will people protest this shit? Don't let it happen.

I don't see this being reversed.

One morning in our recent history, America woke up as dainty as a daisy. Terribly sensitive to any word (word!) that bruised our tender sensibilities or hurt our little "feelings". And our righteous and holy obligation is now to proclaim our emotional injury to the world and demand immediate retribution upon the low-life scum who dared to victimize us with such grievous viscerous damage.

Watch what you say. After all, this America.

You need a new tune.

Let's see
1. The police can raid your home without a warrant and shoot your dog
2. The government can spy on you by phone, internet, email, etc. Anytime they fucking well please!
3. A word like paper bag or citizen will be enough to ruin your life. Don't even think about saying a real offensive word.

Yet you people don't see anything wrong with this?

Last edited:

It's just suggestions, that's all and the city is in their rights as an employer.

I also have a right to think the city has hired a bunch of idiots, that are so bored and controlling, that they put out stupid micromanage bull shit.

They need to fire people that are so bored that they think this shit up.

Let's see
1. The police can raid your home without a warrant and shot your dog
2. The government can spy on you by phone, internet, email, etc. Anytime they fucking well please!
3. A word like paper bag or citizen will be enough to ruin your life. Don't even think about saying a real offensive word.

Yet you people don't see anything wrong with this?

If true, it would be horrible.

Forum List

Back