Senate drops military discount for cigarettes

More stupidity.

Lowering the price of something is not encouraging it. Unless you think our soldiers are too stupid to make their own decisions. The government subsidizes all kinds of behavior so why single out our soldiers?

Who is being stupid?

You are. Do you buy everything you see if it's discounted?

Dumbass

I quit smoking after 37 years, because the cost of cigarettes became too expensive...

Dumbass....

Who is being stupid?

Dumbass

I quit smoking after 37 years, because the cost of cigarettes became too expensive...

Dumbass....

Good for you but what the hell does that have to do with my post?

If ever anyone in our country deserves to be subsidized it's our soldiers. Let them make the choice to smoke or not. That is after all the freedom they're fighting for, choice.

The price of cigarettes was a factor in my quitting smoking. Mostly, though, it was because of the deleterious health effects. It took me several years of attempts before I succeeded. Tobacco is as addictive as heroin.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. Soldiers are putting their lives on the line for you ungrateful assholes. So the fuck what if they can buy cheap cigarettes?

There is no doubt cigarettes are bad. There is also no doubt our soldiers are adults who don't need the government trying to influence their decisions

Dumbass

Dumbass....

Good for you but what the hell does that have to do with my post?

If ever anyone in our country deserves to be subsidized it's our soldiers. Let them make the choice to smoke or not. That is after all the freedom they're fighting for, choice.

When I see someone take his kid down to the bus station to send him off to Paris island, hand him a pack of cigarettes, and say, "I'm proud of you son. You have joined the Marines, and become a man. Take these cigarettes, and take advantage of one of the Corps perks, by getting as much as you want, subsidized by the government, at the commissary", then I will know that, for at least this kid, such a subsidization is a good idea. You see, I believe in the Darwin Principle.

While on active duty soldiers should be exempt from all federal taxes.

I say reduced rate in states and 100% exemption while abroad or in combat zone. Smoke them cig's warriors. Fuck the liberal pussies. I smoked in combat, but I do not smoke now. If a warrior want's to have a smoke or a chew let em do it tax free on a carton or cord.

While on active duty soldiers should be exempt from all federal taxes.

I say reduced rate in states and 100% exemption while abroad or in combat zone. Smoke them cig's warriors. Fuck the liberal pussies. I smoked in combat, but I do not smoke now. If a warrior want's to have a smoke or a chew let em do it tax free on a carton or cord.

Own stock in R. J. Reynolds?

Leave it to the left..

Always telling people what they can and can't do.

Even people who are out there, putting their lives on the line protecting the Lefties' right to be sanctimonious assholes.

They can all be just like John Wayne, who made his last couple of movies hooked up to portable oxygen tanks between takes, before he died from lung cancer!

Leave it to the left..

Always telling people what they can and can't do.

Even people who are out there, putting their lives on the line protecting the Lefties' right to be sanctimonious assholes.

Nobody is telling them they can't smoke

Military's tobacco discount: Up in smoke: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

The Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee on Tuesday approved a $549.3 billion defense spending bill that would eliminate the 25 percent discount that members of the armed services enjoy when buying tobacco products at commissaries and elsewhere, including cigarettes and chewing tobacco.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., chairman of the subcommittee, said studies show that tobacco use is higher in the military. He said that translates into more illnesses and health care costs of $1.6 billion a year.

"There is no reason these deadly products are subsidized," Durbin said.

The House version of the defense policy bill would thwart any Navy efforts to restrict access to tobacco. In May, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., described smoking as one of the few pleasures for a member of the military, and he easily convinced his colleagues on the House Armed Services Committee to back his measure

It was the military who got GIs addicted to tobacco during WWII

Neither here nor there but think all active duty sevice members should be tax exempt across the board. If risking your life for your country, you shouldn't then be getting taxed by it. Especially given how embarassingly low the pay is. Retired members (as in 20+ years) too and former, but not pensioneers some significant discount.

As to this, it makes sense from the sense that we're tightening our belts on medical costs, and behaviours which add to those costs are being taxed and made more expensive to enduldge in. Think they'd get more health benefit though eliminating junk food. Remember soda being available in basic though I opted for milk (though in hindsight, the sugar and caffeine woulda helped.) :)

This has nothing to do with their health. Durbin is in bed with big tobacco and now not only will military personal have to pay full price for cigs the government will get a bigger tax on those cigs.

link? [MENTION=20424]Misty[/MENTION] ?

This has nothing to do with their health. Durbin is in bed with big anti tobacco and now not only will military personal have to pay full price for cigs the government will get a bigger tax on those cigs.

link? [MENTION=20424]Misty[/MENTION] ?

I meant to say anti tobacco and I did post a link. He is heavily invested in anti tobacco.

Forum List

Back