Senate introduces bill to allow farmers to fix their own farm equipment

That's sort of a big deal.....It will be fought tooth-n-nail by the farm equipment lobby, most notably Big Green (John Deere).

finally someone is discussing this issue...this has been going on for a while....if you attempt to repair your reaper or whatever piece of equipment you void the warranty an i heard (no facts that i know of) they company can just stop your equipment from running...the right to repair has been gaining steam for a couple of years

So you want the government make you to pay someone to replace your windshield wiper or taillight?
No, there's no regulations to flaunt and destroy on those.

Actually, this is a nothing-burger and the whole idea will die naturally. There can't be more than a few dozen farmers who will have an interest.
The modern equipment with the electronic gadgetry wins the day.

it is not the government per say ....its the propitiatory name of the companies producing the equipment ....the government allows this practice all over the board...you are forced to use a brand or replace something fixable due to this...and one has to factor in the larger farm owners are surprising..the family farm is going away....large companies are trying to force them to see...

you have the hidden/not hidden battle over water rights...

That's sort of a big deal.....It will be fought tooth-n-nail by the farm equipment lobby, most notably Big Green (John Deere).
The farm equipment lobby? That's one I hadn't heard of before now. Would "Big Tractor" be the farm equipment equivalent of "Big Pharma" and "Big Oil"? Lol

I think in this case, some government involvement might be okay if it liberates farmers from their dependence on authorized maintenance.

Licensing has gone too far. I mean, damn, we even need licenses to cut hair, for crying out loud.

Uh? How’s that?
Tell us how you reconcile no government involvement with government thugs twisting arms.
No government involvement? You’re talking about government legislation. It’s by definition government involvement.

Right now we have a free market and commies like you want to change that.

No government involvement? You’re talking about government legislation. It’s by definition government involvement.

Right now we have a free market and commies like you want to change that.
Did you even bother to try to understand the OP?

Up until farmers got hamstringed by the current administrations current way of doing things farmers never needed help fixing their own equipment. They were able to hire help, sell their product at good enough prices to buy more supplies and earn a good living.

Did you even bother to try to understand the OP?
I did. It's big government telling the free market how to operate.

"A bill introduced Tuesday in the Senate could help make it easier for farmers like Potmesil to repair their tractors independently. The legislation would require agriculture equipment manufacturers to make spare parts, instruction manuals and software codes publicly available, allowing farmers to fix devices by themselves or hire third-party mechanics of their own choosing."

You guys always think government is the solution. Get government out of private industry I always say.

I did. It's big government telling the free market how to operate.

"A bill introduced Tuesday in the Senate could help make it easier for farmers like Potmesil to repair their tractors independently. The legislation would require agriculture equipment manufacturers to make spare parts, instruction manuals and software codes publicly available, allowing farmers to fix devices by themselves or hire third-party mechanics of their own choosing."

You guys always think government is the solution. Get government out of private industry I always say.
Oh wow. That’s funnier than I expected.
So a law requires 35 companies to provide manuals and parts of the products they sell to make life easier on hundreds of thousands of farmers is big government intrusion.
Got it.

Oh wow. That’s funnier than I expected.
So a law requires 35 companies to provide manuals and parts of the products they sell to make life easier on hundreds of thousands of farmers is big government intrusion.
Got it.
Yep. Big government making mandates for companies. Just let the market decide you commie.

Forum List

Back