Senators near a deal on background checks for most private gun sales

Average pilot? Hell, didn't he crash like FIVE Navy jets? Graduated FIVE from the bottom of his Naval Academy class (894th out of 899)? Keating FIVE. Damn, a lot of FIVEs...

However, I feel reasonably sure he has a grasp on how his fellow Senators will vote on background checks.

McCain dumped his wife after she was suffering from a car accident and married a rich woman, he was having an affair with. That's all it takes to run for President in the GOP.

John Edwards

Don't forget John "Live-Shot" Kerry, gigolo extraordinaire!

If we all can agree that guns in the hands of criminals and the mentally frazzled is a bad idea, why the opposition to background checks? Unless...

Some gun enthusiasts believe that any laws concerning guns makes for an infringement on gun ownership rights (as if all rights aren't infringed upon in some way). I contend that his attitude is frightfully short sighted. It is tantamount to complete surrender to rampant gun violence. One might say that this attitude reflects a position that basically says the right to bear arms is another freedom that isn't free, That right must be paid for with the blood of innocent victims of gun violence all because we think our guns are too much fun to be restricted in any and all ways.

If indeed guns don't kill people, but people kill people (and the retort is guns don't die, people die), wouldn't assuring guns don't fall into the hands of criminals be a very good thing for public safety?

Why surrender to the whims of the NRA (whose 100 year mandate on hunting and conservation has changed in the light of increased money from the gun manufacturers)? why not side on the obvious public safety issue instead?

I had almost taken you serious until your last two sentences.

The NRA is the Nation's Oldest Civil Rights group. It's never been just about Hunting and Conservation. It has always been about gun safety. So your creditbilty has taken a serious setback when spouting Left Wing Gun grabber rhetoric.. people who don't know the first thing about guns or gun laws... Right "blast them double barrels in the air and those bad guys will go running Jill." Biden.

You really don't have a clue as to why we are against more background checks, despite the fact that many reasons have been posted time and time again.
I'm so sorry you do not have a firm grasp on the history of the NRA. Until the early 1980s, the National Rifle Association was the foremost group promoting hunting safety and conservation. The message changed during the Reagan administration.

You should really understand this before making rash and ill informed assumptions.

Being as I have been an on and off member of the NRA since I was 8 years old, and regularly attended local NRA meetings for years, I really doubt if there is much you can teach me about the NRA. All you have been posting is from their abridged history.

Yes, the NRA lead the way in promoting Hunting and Conservation, but that is not all they have done. To assume that or to try to say that is all they have ever done is like saying all the NAACP has ever done was worry about where people sat on buses and in diners.

John McCain is a failed politician. An average pilot, but a terrible politician....he'd support anything to get himself elected

Average pilot? Hell, didn't he crash like FIVE Navy jets? Graduated FIVE from the bottom of his Naval Academy class (894th out of 899)? Keating FIVE. Damn, a lot of FIVEs...

However, I feel reasonably sure he has a grasp on how his fellow Senators will vote on background checks.

That’s funny because there is no one really questioning that gun control can and will pass the senate.

It is the house that is going to have a hard time swallowing the progressive pill. The longer it takes to get a bill on the floor (because the knee jerk reactionary tactic of emotional appeal is wearing thin) the less likely it is going to pass.

Well, maybe Boner will just ignore it until the next Sandy Hook-like massacre.

My rep was Gabby Giffords. I suspect that this district will vote for background checks.

You do realize gun sales in Arizona went up?

Just pointing out that gun sales have nothing to do with actual gun purchasers or the support of gun ownership. A million guns sold to a million people is identical (in gun sales) to a million guns sold to one person. Gun sales have nothing to do with the support of gun ownership.

Forum List

Back