Share a Thanksgiving recipe!

Rasberry Jam + Creamed Turkey

Here are two quick alternative ideas:

1. Instead of cranberry sauce, serve rasberry jam splashed with white wine vinegar

2. Instead of oven-made whole turkey, serve sliced turkey with cream-of-mushroom sauce

:arrow:

I am not a measurements guy except with bread so do as you will with this. This is my first oyster chowder.

Boiled two large potatoes. Put 3 strips of bacon in the pot first to render the grease out of it. Threw in one rough chop medium onion, 3 stalks thin sliced celery, and three cubed carrots. Once they soaked up the bacon grease, I pushed them aside, melted about two tablespoons of real salted butter and put in roughly 3 TSp. flour. gave it a quick stir, threw in the two potatoes I boiled and rough cut followed by about 1/2 gal. whole milk, a tablespoon of salt and brought that up to a light steam. Then put in a jar of oysters, pint of heavy cream, Tsp. red pepper, tsp Worcestershire, rest of the stick of butter, 4 or 5 grinds from the pepper mill and brought to a light boil. I topped it off with a chili oil I make from dried chilis from my garden. It came out with good oyster stew flavor, a little heat, and thick but more on the stew side of chowder.

I think for Christmas Eve, I will add some baby scallops and maybe some diced fennel. Not sure. Shrimp would be ok to make it a seafood chowder, but some folks in my family hate shrimp s that is out. Anybody have any suggestion as to what I might try different as I dial this puppy in?

I am not a measurements guy except with bread so do as you will with this. This is my first oyster chowder.

Boiled two large potatoes. Put 3 strips of bacon in the pot first to render the grease out of it. Threw in one rough chop medium onion, 3 stalks thin sliced celery, and three cubed carrots. Once they soaked up the bacon grease, I pushed them aside, melted about two tablespoons of real salted butter and put in roughly 3 TSp. flour. gave it a quick stir, threw in the two potatoes I boiled and rough cut followed by about 1/2 gal. whole milk, a tablespoon of salt and brought that up to a light steam. Then put in a jar of oysters, pint of heavy cream, Tsp. red pepper, tsp Worcestershire, rest of the stick of butter, 4 or 5 grinds from the pepper mill and brought to a light boil. I topped it off with a chili oil I make from dried chilis from my garden. It came out with good oyster stew flavor, a little heat, and thick but more on the stew side of chowder.

I think for Christmas Eve, I will add some baby scallops and maybe some diced fennel. Not sure. Shrimp would be ok to make it a seafood chowder, but some folks in my family hate shrimp s that is out. Anybody have any suggestion as to what I might try different as I dial this puppy in?

Thanks for the contribution. :)

I think it sounds delicious as is, but you could think about adding fish, crab, or lobster maybe?

I tried corn bread stuffing, but I wasn't impressed. If anyone has a good recipe for it, I would be willing to give it a go again though. Maybe it was the kind of corn bread I used? I was kind of hurried so I used Jiffy and my stuffing was REALLY dry. Is that normal for the cornbread stuffing? Not sure.

I tried corn bread stuffing, but I wasn't impressed. If anyone has a good recipe for it, I would be willing to give it a go again though. Maybe it was the kind of corn bread I used? I was kind of hurried so I used Jiffy and my stuffing was REALLY dry. Is that normal for the cornbread stuffing? Not sure.
Well it takes giblet gravy, sage, maybe a little sausage and love as the secret ingredient....

I have one...My families best recipe is the Chinese rest......

I couldn't imagine going out to a restaurant on Thanksgiving. It's my favorite holiday with all the home cooked meals! Yummy! :) No stress like Christmas or other holidays where you have to deal with shopping and blah, blah, blah.

Well it takes giblet gravy, sage, maybe a little sausage and love as the secret ingredient....

It's not a home cooked meal without the love! :D

Yes..I sure do miss my Grandma....
My Grandmother was like my Mom..She ate out all the time also......I learned how to cook and bake from my Grandma....
The curse of getting older is having no one left to enjoy life with that love you unconditionally..

My Grandmother was like my Mom..She ate out all the time also......I learned how to cook and bake from my Grandma....

I thought you did like to cook? :dunno: I must be thinking of someone else. I love to cook. If I was rich, I would own every single kitchen gadget that they make. Lol. :D

I thought you did like to cook? :dunno: I must be thinking of someone else. I love to cook. If I was rich, I would own every single kitchen gadget that they make. Lol. :D
I have so many I have no counter space......

But you don't like to cook? Then send them to me! :D Lol.

But you don't like to cook? Then send them to me! :D Lol.
I cook every day.. I don't like to eat out much.....I also bake many pies...

If you want to be unique and steal the show... see my pernil post!

Nobody will want turkey when that bad boy comes out of the oven! Just make sure there aren't any people there "allergic" to pork. And I say that sarcastically. But dang.. nobody will want dry turkey once they taste pernil!

The curse of getting older is having no one left to enjoy life with that love you unconditionally..

Oh my. I meant to give this post a thanks and not a funny. Excuse me, I was very tired last night. So sorry, MG.

If you want to be unique and steal the show... see my pernil post!

Nobody will want turkey when that bad boy comes out of the oven! Just make sure there aren't any people there "allergic" to pork. And I say that sarcastically. But dang.. nobody will want dry turkey once they taste pernil!

How can I see it if you don't post it here or post a link or maybe a recipe? :)

>

First of all, my Mom was a great cook. I swear Norman Rockwell could have come by our house on Thanksgiving to get ideas for his paintings. She made the typical Green Bean Casserole with Campbell's Mushroom Soup and canned Green Beans. It was really good.

A few years ago I was on a Food Network binge and watch Alton Brown make a fresh Green Bean Casserole and since it was just before Thanksgiving I said - "Hey, I can do that."

I did and it was FREAKING AWESOME, I swear to God that if you do this you will never go back to canned beans and soup.

Two slight modifications that I make:
1. Instead of using white button mushrooms, for this one time a year dish I substitute a mixture of mushrooms - typically some white button, oyster, shiitake, baby portobello, and/or chanterelle mushrooms. Same or slightly higher mushroom content than Alton calls for. I limit the mix to 3 types. 1/3 white button, and 2 others which ever is fresh. If the store has chanterelle it is automatically another 1/3, leaving the other 1/3 open for selection.

2. I cheat, I don't make my own fried onions, I use store bought. The first year I made my own and the effort wasn't work the result, the next year I used the ones from the store and it was better than my own. They just start out crispier.​

Food Network Link -->> Best Ever Green Bean Casserole Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Recipe details plus video.

YouTube of video only. Video is about 5-minutes.

>>>>

Forum List

Back