Sheriff Tells A&E They Aren't Welcome In His County In Georgia Where They Film Show

Da sheruff on da phone to A&E:

barney-fife-nip-it.jpg

Dat sh'erf look lak Yurt.

Really, gang, the sheriff gets his opinion and then has to act within the law.
The law doesn't require the Sheriff to assist A&E.

And the law says A&E can film anywhere in HIS county they wish

The press, the network, and state police agencies can make life very, very miserable for a silly sheriff.

When the sheriff in a neighboring county of ours in Texas went silly, the local and state health departments were sicked on his jail and home.

He became quite docile after that.

Last edited:
Rotsa ruck with that, Sheriff.

Shoulda met with a lawyer first. Oops.

How so? The Sheriff has absolute authority over the county jail facilities.
He can unilaterally kick A&E out should he choose to do so. And there is nothing A&E can do about it.
And that, my friend is "rotsa ruck" to A&E..
Do yourself a favor. Google county sheriffs. Link to the powers of the office.

Looks like the price is going up for A&E. They either have to pay for another place or get a free place elsewhere.

I doubt a sheriff has the say on what a business can do in his county; that's not what sheriffs do. Anyway the article said that the producers of whatever show films there sometimes gets assistance from the sheriff's office and that he wouldn't be providing it any more. Basically a publicity stunt.

How you cheer for the politically correct has no bearing on reality.
The Sheriff can do as he pleases. The Office has that kind of power.
Without assistance from the Douglas County SO, there is little A&E can do.

This is a case where the first amendment actually applies

A&E is free to film in his county if they wish

I think if you will get someone to read the statement to you, the statement never said they couldn't film in the county. Just that he wouldn't be providing support or the use of the county resources to them.

" A&E would no longer be welcomed to film or produce any of its programs or series with the help of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office or its facilities.

Typical redneck logic. All the business A&E brought locally will go to another town. Hurray for dumbasses.

What business?
here's the deal...Every time a film or commercial crew comes to a city, all that happens is a whole bunch of people are inconvenienced with street closures and the resulting traffic jams.
Then of course there are the ridiculous demands of some of the actors.
Very little in the way of economic benefit is realized.

He can unilaterally kick A&E out should he choose to do so. And there is nothing A&E can do about it.

Kinda like closing the barn door after the horse has left..

They have already filmed in his jail. There are plenty of jails in this country they can film in

Guess he showed them

Sitting here, totally unimpressed by everybody on this issue. Never watched the 'Duck' show, never will. What is to be learned there? So a redneck states his opinions concerning homosexuality. Who cares? They are what they are, and it little matters. A southern sheriff from a podunk rural county makes what is essentially a campaign speech to impress the local rednecks. So what? He will win re-election, then go back to collecting from the pot and meth operations in his county.

Umm when you are delivering one of your little anecdotes, here's a piece of advice.....HAVE A POINT.
Asking you to think about who needs who, A&E needs the county or the county needing A&E..
Douglas county has been in existence long before A&E...And will do so long after the network is gone..

Sitting here, totally unimpressed by everybody on this issue. Never watched the 'Duck' show, never will. What is to be learned there? So a redneck states his opinions concerning homosexuality. Who cares? They are what they are, and it little matters. A southern sheriff from a podunk rural county makes what is essentially a campaign speech to impress the local rednecks. So what? He will win re-election, then go back to collecting from the pot and meth operations in his county.

I'm sure having A&E filming in his county put money in businesses that may resent what the sheriff has done.

Sure, the Sheriff might get re-elected by playing up his "I stood up for our values" nonsense. Or he might lose when a few businesses make a fuss about how much money they lost because of his stunt.

I doubt Phil will worry. Millionaires typically don't.

really? How much business?....Come on.Surely you are not buying into the idea that these film projects result in a significant increase in local business.

Looks like the price is going up for A&E. They either have to pay for another place or get a free place elsewhere.

I doubt a sheriff has the say on what a business can do in his county; that's not what sheriffs do. Anyway the article said that the producers of whatever show films there sometimes gets assistance from the sheriff's office and that he wouldn't be providing it any more. Basically a publicity stunt.

he was talking about SUPPORT not permission.

If A&E wants to make show without SUPPORT of law enforcement - they might try it :lol:

Their costs will rise dramatically because they will have to hire security. And because of SAG and AFTRA regulations, the security must be paid union scale.
Then the crew must get permits for traffic and pedestrian control. The Sheriff's office cannot be compelled to grant said permits.

Typical redneck logic. All the business A&E brought locally will go to another town. Hurray for dumbasses.

What business?
here's the deal...Every time a film or commercial crew comes to a city, all that happens is a whole bunch of people are inconvenienced with street closures and the resulting traffic jams.
Then of course there are the ridiculous demands of some of the actors.
Very little in the way of economic benefit is realized.

I can tell by your comment you must be brilliant at economics. :lol:

No, the Sheriff is bound by law and does not possess absolute authority, although that is something far right reactionaries slaver for.

He cannot "unilaterally kick A&E out" at all.

thereisnospoon wants a huge reactionary far right government is what he is suggesting.

The press, the network, and state police agencies can make life very, very miserable for a silly sheriff.

When the sheriff in a neighboring county of ours in Texas went silly, the local and state health departments were sicked on his jail and home.

He became quite docile after that.

Bullying, threats, and intimidation work every time, don't they?

Forum List

Back