Shocker! A Liberal Attack On Success

Do you get paid by the entire post or by the word?

It is wholly confounding to me that you would simply dismiss the OP because it's too long. Seriously, try reading it. Or, are you too averse to reading long posts? When making a point, brevity isn't always the best thing.

The old proverb that I made up is,

If you're going to be wrong, at least be brief.

My motto?

If you're going to be wrong, be quiet.

Something isn't invalid just because you say it is. That's not how the world works.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ne-spreading-charter-schools.html#post9016335

You ought to look up where she extracts her information on many of her posts.

Really, from someone who cites a liberally biased source as fact? Practice what you preach.

Citing the source doesn't disprove the factuality of the content.

Even you should know that.

Did you read your own links?

Students from all backgrounds didn’t benefit equally from charter schools, the study found. Black students in poverty achieved above-average learning gains -- equivalent to 36 additional days of learning in math -- as did low-income Hispanic students. White students fared worse overall, while Asians did more poorly only in math.

To address concerns about differences in school populations, the Stanford study sought to compare the improvement in academic achievement of similar students, matching each pupil at a charter with a “virtual twin” at a regular school with similar state test scores while controlling for demographics.

Charters now serve about 4 percent of the nation’s public school pupils, with more than 2.3 million students in over 6,000 schools in 41 states, according to the study. Enrollment has surged 80 percent since the 2009 report.
Given that only 4% of children are educated in 6,000 charter schools and 20% of those should be shut down for failing to provide an education on a par with public schools is not exactly proof of what PoliticalSpice is alleging. If anything it proves that she is basing this thread upon a fallacy.

I do read my own links. You're cherry picking them. If 1 in 5 were closed, while 4 out of 5 weren't, this comes out an 80-85% success rate. The 15-20% that were closed weren't necessarily closed for poor academic performance, reasons include lack of funding, mismanagement, lack of adequate facilities, or obstacles in the desired district. To say it was purely because of academic performance is false, and a blatant lie.

Charter%20school%20closure%20rate.JPG

One other thing you missed, in bolded red.

Once again context is everything. That is not an 80% "success rate". The majority of charter schools did no better than their public school peers thereby exposing the fallacy of PoliticalSpice's allegation. The minute number of charter schools that "outperformed" public schools ,+/-1000, or so represents by only the most optimistic of estimates 1% of the total number of schools in the nation. That alone is well below the margin of error.

So the allegation that charters schools are a "success" is based upon a tiny fraction of a fraction. No investment banker would take a statistical blip of that infintisimal magnitude and use that to place a financial stake of any magnitude.

The numbers are simply not there to justify the allegations. PoliticalSpice is pulling her usual act of throwing out specious quotes and claiming that they amount to "proof". However as soon as you drill down you find a distinct lack of substance. Those who have a vested interest in the success of charter schools are trying their utmost to trumpet what are mere deviations from the norm as "evidence" when they are nothing of the sort.

Please note that your skepticism when it came to the claims about Obamacare were front and center but somehow that same critical review is sadly lacking when it comes to something you have a partisan interest in supporting.

Either you are equally skeptical or you are partisan. Your choice.

um; i already knew this moron; now i asked a question. who will subsidize them; and at what level; when WalMart lays them off?

Walmart never stops trying to cut labor costs

....and prices to consumers.

“Love ya back, Rose, but no thanks. You offer up a false and dangerous choice. The world is bigger than “Workers vs. Bosses,” and so is this campaign. Remember, Walmart thrives because a majority of Americans like to shop there.

Like Apple, Discovery, Ford, and Facebook, Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their customer.

Ultimately, the customer calls the shots. Not management. Not labor. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success.”
Mike Rowe defends his involvement in Walmart manufacturing commercial | Rare

We need more successes like Wal-Mart, and fewer Liberal failures like Obama!

We need more successes like Costco, that can keep prices low without screwing the employees.

Maximizing profits at the expense of labor is simply evil.

Reasonable profits, reasonable prices, and reasonable wages should be the goal of every business.

Did you read your own links?

Given that only 4% of children are educated in 6,000 charter schools and 20% of those should be shut down for failing to provide an education on a par with public schools is not exactly proof of what PoliticalSpice is alleging. If anything it proves that she is basing this thread upon a fallacy.

I do read my own links. You're cherry picking them. If 1 in 5 were closed, while 4 out of 5 weren't, this comes out an 80-85% success rate. The 15-20% that were closed weren't necessarily closed for poor academic performance, reasons include lack of funding, mismanagement, lack of adequate facilities, or obstacles in the desired district. To say it was purely because of academic performance is false, and a blatant lie.

Once again context is everything. That is not an 80% "success rate". The majority of charter schools did no better than their public school peers thereby exposing the fallacy of PoliticalSpice's allegation. The minute number of charter schools that "outperformed" public schools ,+/-1000, or so represents by only the most optimistic of estimates 1% of the total number of schools in the nation. That alone is well below the margin of error.

So the allegation that charters schools are a "success" is based upon a tiny fraction of a fraction. No investment banker would take a statistical blip of that infintisimal magnitude and use that to place a financial stake of any magnitude.

The numbers are simply not there to justify the allegations. PoliticalSpice is pulling her usual act of throwing out specious quotes and claiming that they amount to "proof". However as soon as you drill down you find a distinct lack of substance. Those who have a vested interest in the success of charter schools are trying their utmost to trumpet what are mere deviations from the norm as "evidence" when they are nothing of the sort.

Please note that your skepticism when it came to the claims about Obamacare were front and center but somehow that same critical review is sadly lacking when it comes to something you have a partisan interest in supporting.

Weren't you the one yelling for links earlier? It's high time you provided some of your own, to back up this "context" of yours. Calling me a partisan is not a valid argument. Your "context" can only be in part due to the biases of your own skepticism as a liberal, and not rooted in actual empirical evidence.

Please don't lecture me about partisanship when you're the one referring to PC as "PoliticalSpice." That is overtly childish, it only shows you came to antagonize her and not take her points seriously. Honestly, I would expect this garbage out of Jake, but not from you. How disappointing.

Do you get paid by the entire post or by the word?

It is wholly confounding to me that you would simply dismiss the OP because it's too long. Seriously, try reading it. Or, are you too averse to reading long posts? When making a point, brevity isn't always the best thing.

The old proverb that I made up is,

If you're going to be wrong, at least be brief.

well that explains why your posts are so brief

My suggestion to Walmart would be, raise the price of every item you sell by 1% and pass that on to your employees in the form of better wages and benefits.

See what happens. If something awful happens, then you can make the case that you can't get along without paying your employees shit wages.

“Love ya back, Rose, but no thanks. You offer up a false and dangerous choice. The world is bigger than “Workers vs. Bosses,” and so is this campaign. Remember, Walmart thrives because a majority of Americans like to shop there.

Like Apple, Discovery, Ford, and Facebook, Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their customer.

Ultimately, the customer calls the shots. Not management. Not labor. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success.”

We need more successes like Costco, that can keep prices low without screwing the employees.

Reasonable profits, reasonable prices, and reasonable wages should be the goal of every business.

so do show us the data. I bet you have none, just made up, but i bet they put money behind people you like, so you defend them

Define "reasonable." How many times will you raise minimum wage until it is "reasonable?"

The prices can't be reasonable when they are expected to meet your definition of such. When you expect a company to pay more, they will make YOU pay more for their products. And it's quite telling when you think you can dictate what "reasonable profits" are. Good luck with that. Businesses will be fleeing offshore for less hostile environments to profits.

Perhaps nobody educated you on the concept of cause and effect.

Last edited:
"A study in New York City found that charter school students are outperforming district school students in both math and English assessments. For example, almost 81 percent of charter school students in the sixth through eighth grades scores at or better than the grade-level standards, while less than 62 percent of their district peers did so. Although this is just one example of charter school academic achievement, many studies reflect charter schools’ academic successes.

Additionally, charter schools have been more successful at closing racial achievement gaps than district schools have been. A meta analysis of four different studies showed that Black students in charter schools scored 4.5 percentage points better than their district peers in English and 2.6 percentage points better in math. Through a series of education reforms that return power to parents, including charter schools, Florida’s Hispanic students now outscore the assessment averages for all races in 28 states, and their Black students outscore the average in 8 states.

Research has shown that charter schools have a “ripple effect” on other schools. Pressure brought to bear on traditional schools causes them to do more and do it better."
Achievement
And if I remember correctly? They closed down those schools.

Comrade de Blasio, mayor, tried to ....but the state smacked him down.

Weren't you the one yelling for links earlier? It's high time you provided some of your own, to back up this "context" of yours. Calling me a partisan is not a valid argument. Your "context" can only be in part due to the biases of your own skepticism as a liberal, and not rooted in actual empirical evidence.

Please don't lecture me about partisanship when you're the one referring to PC as "PoliticalSpice." That is overtly childish, it only shows you came to antagonize her and not take her points seriously. Honestly, I would expect this garbage out of Jake, but not from you. How disappointing.

I've never seen you scold PC for her propensity to try to antagonize posters.

Obviously you missed the part of the study where they pointed out that 20% of existing charter schools should be closed for performing worse than public schools, PoliticalSpice. There was also no definitive evidence that they were "superior" to public schools which is the fallacy of your OP. The Stanford Study rebukes your positon.

"The Stanford Study rebukes your positon (sic)."

Really?

More:

Studies of the most successful charter school organizations have found they are particularly effective at closing achievement gaps.

Academic gains at many Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP) charter schools are large enough to substantially reduce race-based and income-based achievement gaps. In three years, one half of all KIPP schools in the study closed at least 50% of the black-white achievement gap in math, and a third of it in reading. (Mathematica Policy Research, 2010).

A study of high-performing charter management organizations found they generated significant gains in reading and math with Hispanic students (Center for Reinventing Public Education/University of Washington, 2011).

Public charter schools are reducing drop-out rates and increasing college enrollment rates.

In Chicago and Florida, charter high schools are having positive impacts, increasing the probability of graduating by 7 to 15 percentage points and increasing enrollment rates in college by 8 to 10 percentage points. (RAND Education, 2009).

Public charters are less costly and more effective than reducing class size.

The positive effect of going to an elementary charter school on math scores is more than four times greater than reducing class sizes by five students. (Center for Reinventing Public Education/University of Washington, 2008).

Parents and students are more satisfied at public charter schools.

Public charter schools positively affect levels of student and parental satisfaction with their school. (Mathematica Policy Research, 2010).

A policy brief on public charter schools from the Washington Policy Center found:

Charter public schools are popular with parents; 365,000 students are on waiting lists to attend a charter public school.

Across the nation, over 1.7 million children now attend 5,453 charter public schools. This number increased by 9% in 2010 alone.

Well-run charter public schools perform significantly better than traditional public schools.
Charter public school students are no different in academic background and motivation than students attending traditional public schools.

Charter public schools in Massachusetts and elsewhere have closed the achievement gap between minority and white students.

"There is zero credible evidence that charter schools produce better results than public schools."

I love it when evidence is presented, and you continue to double down on stupidity.

Know what that shows?

That you're still a dunce.

Once again all that PoliticalSpice produces are quotes taken out of context without a single link to a credible source.

Tissue?

Define "reasonable." How many times will you raise minimum wage until it is "reasonable?"

The prices can't be reasonable when they are expected to meet your definition of such. When you expect a company to pay more, they will make YOU pay more for their products. And it's quite telling when you think you can dictate what "reasonable profits" are. Good luck with that. Businesses will be fleeing offshore for less hostile environments to profits.

Perhaps nobody educated you on the concept of cause and effect.

Didn't you once claim you were studying to be a lawyer? You might have a bit of a problem with that if you can't grasp the idea of 'reasonable',

given that one of legal system's core principles is 'proof beyond a reasonable doubt'.

so do show us the data. I bet you have none, just made up, but i bet they put money behind people you like, so you defend them

What? Costco? Aren't Costco's labor policies common knowledge by now?

I understand how Liberals believe that not only do they know what is better for other individuals....

....but, if they had their druthers, no one could ever make a decision about their lives without Liberal permission.

But....a hypothetical:

What, exactly, do you suppose goes into the thought processes of those individuals who voluntarily fill out a Wal-Mart job request?

The answer to that query will go far in establishing the parameters of the discussion.

Bet you won't answer it.

Does Common Core ring a bell?

Why does our government have an Education Department setting standards for schools all across the country? Where do the textbooks come from? The things kids learn are being controlled by the government, more specifically through the money they spend.

The purpose of a compare and contrast essay is to analyze the differences and/or the similarities of two distinct subjects. Once you pick two subjects that can be compared and contrasted in a meaningful way, then you can begin to formulate your thesis and work out the organization of your paper. If you want to write a thoughtful and convincing comparison and contrast essay, just follow these steps.

Pick two subjects that can be compared and contrasted in a meaningful way. The first step to writing a successful compare and contrast essay is to pick two subjects that are different enough to be contrasted, but similar enough to be compared. This means that the subjects aren't so different that you can't find a thing they have in common (such as oreos and kale) or that they shouldn't be so similar (like two very similar soft drinks) that you don't have much to say about their differences. Here are some topics to consider as you pick your two subjects:[1]

The careers of two different athletes
The quality of two different restaurants
Two movies
Two novels
Two weight-loss programs
Two cities
Two historical periods
Two events

Do your research to make a list of all of the ways the two subjects are similar and different. Once you've picked your two subjects, you'll need to do your research to figure out exactly how much they have in common and how different they really are. Make a Venn Diagram of the two subjects and write the similarities in the part of the intersecting circles, while writing the differences in the parts of each subject's circle that does not intersect with other. This will require you to consult your sources, brainstorm, and analyze the two subjects on a deeper level.
4 Ways to Write a Compare and Contrast Essay - wikiHow

You have failed to show the comparison. I find that when we disagree it is over what you are comparing or not.

Where is the comparison between Wal-Mart dumping money and failing to pay their workers which rely on state aid and Common Core? Thank you in advance.

You asked how government influences Public schools, I gave you an answer. Since you didn't like the answer, you deflected and began lecturing me about comparative essay writing. Honey, when I was in 5th grade I had a reading, spelling, and writing level comparable to an 8th grader's. In 11th Grade, I was writing essays that were comparable to undergraduates, if not better. You have no clue who you're talking to. Your writing lecture is a strawman.

So, Government dumps money into public schools, just the same as Wal-Mart does to charter schools. It's saddening you can't discern that they are doing the same thing. You conveniently ignore that fact. Common Core is the amalgamation of government money dictating the educational processes that occur within the classroom. So, who is it not doing their research, milady?

You have failed to make a factual argument, instead employing a scurrilous ad hominem argument instead. This debate is over.

I didn't ask you anything. You said that they were doing the same thing. I said, make your case. You then began to ask questions.

Fun filled fact, TK.......I have posted quite a bit on Core and government funding of charter schools.
The History of Common Core State Standards - US News

Funding lawsuits

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...s-arguments-in-education-funding-lawsuit.html

Groups behind it:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/343102-democrats-for-education-reform.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/342981-education-reform-now.html

legislation to curb high stakes testing
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/344727-bill-aims-to-curb-high-stakes-testing-mandates.html

Privatization.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/344846-lear-coalition-opposes-push-to-privatize-passhe.html

But, they are all over on the education portion. I have even laid out the corporate funding behind common core.

So, no.......the government drops money into charter schools and you need to start looking at the number of lawsuits being brought up related to the funding formula. Further, there is a reason that we call it faux privatization.

There are no studies that state that charter schools perform better than public schools.
PressTV - Scathing report finds school privatization hurt poor kids

In fact, they aren't held accountable and use tax dollars for advertising. They pick and choose their students and expel students at a faster rate.

And yet, we still as tax payers pick up the tab for Wal-Mart employees because Wal-Mart refuses to pay them. Not because they can't afford it. That's the comparison I'm looking for. Not a lets shift away from the celebrated Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

I've never seen you scold PC for her propensity to try to antagonize posters.

No, because I rarely see her trying to antagonize anyone. More often than not, it is you who are trying to pick fights with her; that is since you cannot produce any refutatory arguments of your own. Really, if you can't argue her, don't antagonize her. Stop being a troll.

Last edited:
jobs like Walmart were meant to be temporary; and workers would better themselves and go on to better jobs

but in a weak world of Progressive failure; where record food stamps and welfare are actually re-branded as "forward progress' there arent any better jobs.

who would stay at Walmart if better jobs were available?

libs are losers who lie to themselves

So Walmart's business model only works if they can hire losers who don't deserve anything better than to be the working poor?

you start a grocery store and pay cahiers$100 an hour, let me know how that works.

If your argument depends on an absurdity, you lose the argument.

The purpose of a compare and contrast essay is to analyze the differences and/or the similarities of two distinct subjects. Once you pick two subjects that can be compared and contrasted in a meaningful way, then you can begin to formulate your thesis and work out the organization of your paper. If you want to write a thoughtful and convincing comparison and contrast essay, just follow these steps.

Pick two subjects that can be compared and contrasted in a meaningful way. The first step to writing a successful compare and contrast essay is to pick two subjects that are different enough to be contrasted, but similar enough to be compared. This means that the subjects aren't so different that you can't find a thing they have in common (such as oreos and kale) or that they shouldn't be so similar (like two very similar soft drinks) that you don't have much to say about their differences. Here are some topics to consider as you pick your two subjects:[1]

The careers of two different athletes
The quality of two different restaurants
Two movies
Two novels
Two weight-loss programs
Two cities
Two historical periods
Two events

Do your research to make a list of all of the ways the two subjects are similar and different. Once you've picked your two subjects, you'll need to do your research to figure out exactly how much they have in common and how different they really are. Make a Venn Diagram of the two subjects and write the similarities in the part of the intersecting circles, while writing the differences in the parts of each subject's circle that does not intersect with other. This will require you to consult your sources, brainstorm, and analyze the two subjects on a deeper level.
4 Ways to Write a Compare and Contrast Essay - wikiHow

You have failed to show the comparison. I find that when we disagree it is over what you are comparing or not.

Where is the comparison between Wal-Mart dumping money and failing to pay their workers which rely on state aid and Common Core? Thank you in advance.

You asked how government influences Public schools, I gave you an answer. Since you didn't like the answer, you deflected and began lecturing me about comparative essay writing. Honey, when I was in 5th grade I had a reading, spelling, and writing level comparable to an 8th grader's. In 11th Grade, I was writing essays that were comparable to undergraduates, if not better. You have no clue who you're talking to. Your writing lecture is a strawman.

So, Government dumps money into public schools, just the same as Wal-Mart does to charter schools. It's saddening you can't discern that they are doing the same thing. You conveniently ignore that fact. Common Core is the amalgamation of government money dictating the educational processes that occur within the classroom. So, who is it not doing their research, milady?

You have failed to make a factual argument, instead employing a scurrilous ad hominem argument instead. This debate is over.

I didn't ask you anything. You said that they were doing the same thing. I said, make your case. You then began to ask questions.

Fun filled fact, TK.......I have posted quite a bit on Core and government funding of charter schools.
The History of Common Core State Standards - US News

Funding lawsuits

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...s-arguments-in-education-funding-lawsuit.html

Groups behind it:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/343102-democrats-for-education-reform.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/342981-education-reform-now.html

legislation to curb high stakes testing
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/344727-bill-aims-to-curb-high-stakes-testing-mandates.html

Privatization.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education/344846-lear-coalition-opposes-push-to-privatize-passhe.html

But, they are all over on the education portion. I have even laid out the corporate funding behind common core.

So, no.......the government drops money into charter schools and you need to start looking at the number of lawsuits being brought up related to the funding formula. Further, there is a reason that we call it faux privatization.

There are no studies that state that charter schools preform better than public schools.
PressTV - Scathing report finds school privatization hurt poor kids

In fact, they aren't held accountable and use tax dollars for advertising. They pick and choose their students and expel students at a faster rate.

I have zero interest in you biased threads against charter schools. I find your lack of objectivity to be disturbing. Since when should government always be allowed to dictate the education of our children? Do you want to know why we rank bottom of the barrel in educational standards? Well, there's your answer.

The CREDO study makes clear that they do. Both you and Derideo resorted to cherrypicking it. PC cited even more studies which proved to the contrary. I am no mood for BS today.

When you can actually prove that Charter Schools are substandard, come back to me. Fun filled fact, Disir: PressTV is an Iranian English language 24 hour news station based in Tehran. Iranian news outlets should be the last place for anyone to look for reputable facts or information.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Forum List

Back