Shooting at Dollar General

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Any bets on how many reporters are going to cover this one? I bet they would have been all over it if the good guy with a gun hadn't been there.

Law enforcement officials are calling Marlo Ellis a hero in the wake of Thursday’s shooting at the Dollar General in Orrville. Ellis shot and killed Dallas County resident Kevin McLaughlin after McLaughlin entered the store, reportedly shouting and waving a gun.
Authorities said that as McLaughlin was leading a group of people into a break room, Ellis turned and used his own pistol to shoot McLaughlin. Ellis’ weapon was concealed according to Sheriff Harris Huffman.
McLaughlin was pronounced dead shortly after the shooting.
Dallas County Sheriff’s Department chief deputy Randy Pugh said McLaughlin’s motive is still unclear, but the death appeared to be a case of self-defense.
“We don’t know what would have happened, but we know what could have happened,” Pugh said. “We see every indication that the shooting was a case of self defense.”

Customer hailed as a hero in Orrville shooting | The Selma Times?Journal

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many are going to cover it, because when you live in a gun fetish society, neither a thug pushing people around with a gun nor another guy who shoots him are unusual occurrences.

That's the price of gun culture. When you live in a continental war zone you get desensitized.

Not many are going to cover it, because when you live in a gun fetish society, neither a thug pushing people around with a gun nor another guy who shoots him are unusual occurrences.

That's the price of gun culture. When you live in a continental war zone you get desensitized.

:cuckoo:

By that logic, we should never here about school shootings.

Looks like we have a case of a dude with a gun being in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing. Great!

Now....how does this occurrence score political points for you again?

Looks like we have a case of a dude with a gun being in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing. Great!

I put it in Current Events just so you could ask that question.

Last edited:

You answered your own question.

Gun fetish?

Then I guess all of our other Constitutional Amendments are a fetish also.

Gun fetish?

And how would that be possible? A fetish requires an object. A Constitutional Amendment is a concept. I haven't brought up the Constitution, nor has anyone else.

Our gun fetish is not related to our Constitution. It derives from culture. That's exactly why I term it "gun culture", which was kind of intended as a clue.

Constitution means laws; culture means values. This is about the latter.

Last edited:

I put it in Current Events just so yo could ask that question.

I'm sure you thought that was a great reply.....but it fell short. It made no sense.

It sure didn't, but he'll run away, as he always does. :cuckoo:

Gun fetish?

And how would that be possible? A fetish requires an object. A Constitutional Amendment is a concept.

Our gun fetish is not related to our Constitution. It derives from culture. That's exactly why I term it "gun culture", which was kind of intended as a clue.

That was an idiotic rationalization. The right to bear arms is a concept. A printing press is an object. Does that mean we have a press fetish?

We are returning to the wild west era. Cool.
Old people need to start packin' due to very young people thinking real life is a video game and killing said old people.
Regular Joes and Janes need to start packin', just in case an older or younger Joe and Jane decides things are in their favor because they have a gun but it turns out...so does everyone else. Kinda like that scene on Predator 2 when they were in the subways....thugs pull a gun on a guy trying to read his newspaper, then thug looks up and everyone in the car has gunS aimed at the thug.
Delish scenario, lol.

Around here in my neck of the woods, it's pretty sleepy. But 13 miles inland? Different story. 30 miles south? Dangerous different story. My 38 special goes with me. The magnum stays home cuz it's too big to fit in my purse.

And everyone should do the same thing. Especially nowadays.

So yeah. That guy IS a hero cuz once they were all packed in the back room...nothing was stopping the perp from killing them all.

btw...I have a fetish. It involves the value of my life or someone elses life that is threatened by someone else with a kill fetish.

Last edited:
Gun fetish?

And how would that be possible? A fetish requires an object. A Constitutional Amendment is a concept.

That was an idiotic rationalization. A printing press is an object. Does that mean we have a press fetish?

Yeah because something being an object automatically means it's a fetish.

Idiot.

Gun fetish?

And how would that be possible? A fetish requires an object. A Constitutional Amendment is a concept. I haven't brought up the Constitution, nor has anyone else.

So, because the firearm is memorialized in our COTUS that makes all other rights memorialized in the COTUS fetishes as well? It takes a pen to write, it takes a book to preach, it takes a house to be quartered etc.

I don't think you meant to open that particular can of worms but it quite ably demonstrates the limited thinking you enjoy.

We are returning to the wild west era. Cool.
Old people need to start packin' due to very young people thinking real life is a video game and killing said old people.
Regular Joes and Janes need to start packin', just in case an older or younger Joe and Jane decides things are in their favor because they have a gun but it turns out...so does everyone else. Kinda like that scene on Predator 2 when they were in the subways....thugs pull a gun on a guy trying to read his newspaper, then thug looks up and everyone in the car has gunS aimed at the thug.
Delish scenario, lol.

Around here in my neck of the woods, it's pretty sleepy. But 13 miles inland? Different story. 30 miles south? Dangerous different story. My 38 special goes with me. The magnum stays home cuz it's too big to fit in my purse.

And everyone should do the same thing. Especially nowadays.

So yeah. That guy IS a hero cuz once they were all packed in the back room...nothing was stopping the perp from killing them all.

btw...I have a fetish. It involves the value of my life or someone elses life that is threatened by someone else with a kill fetish.

Gracie at least gets what I'm talking about, though there's absolutely nothing "cool" or "delish" about it.

What's described is a sick society. Not something to perpetuate or be proud of.

Gun fetish?

So, because the firearm is memorialized in our COTUS that makes all other rights memorialized in the COTUS fetishes as well? It takes a pen to write, it takes a book to preach, it takes a house to be quartered etc.

I don't think you meant to open that particular can of worms but it quite ably demonstrates the limited thinking you enjoy.

Is there really more than one person here who doesn't understand what "fetish" means? Really?

>> fet·ish [fet-ish, fee-tish] Show IPA
noun
1. an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
2. any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.
Psychology . any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation. <<

We're not talking about number three here. :D
Well, I take that back, I wouldn't put it past some...

That's got absolutely ZERO to do with the Constitution, or with any law whatsoever.
Firearms are "memorialized" in pawn shops too-- that doesn't give us a "fetish with pawn shops". Silly idea but same logic as above.

So tell me all about "limited thinking"... :rolleyes:

Summa you clowns always do this-- desperately try to shift the issue into something it isn't, because you can't deal with what it is. The more things change, the more they don't. SMH...

Last edited:
One day I was in the city of Limerick, Ireland, reading the local newspaper. It was going through a great deal of angst over a recent gun murder, lamenting that it was the 33rd murder so far.

That's for the whole year (this was in August).

And not for the city of Limerick, but for the entire country.

I remember reflecting that hell, the city where I live exceeded that number in a single month. New Orleans alone has five times that many so far already this year.

That's the difference between a society with a gun culture and one without one. And none of it has anything to do with anybody's Constitution.

Forum List

Back