Shopping and product reviews

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
When you are considering buying a product, do you try to read reviews about it first? Do you try to read just the negative reviews, just the positive reviews, or a balance of both kinds of reviews?

When you are considering buying a product, do you try to read reviews about it first? Do you try to read just the negative reviews, just the positive reviews, or a balance of both kinds of reviews?
No, I only buy a name brand. Shopper surveys are a hoax.

Yeah, more and more reading reviews, because I am getting SO TAKEN by some of the Amazon sellers. If so, I write a baaaaaad review, believe me. Books, too --- I am taken in by exciting book blurbs and good plot ideas, and then the book is a total waste of money and I can't finish it. But if I read reviews and they all lambast the book or whatever else, I'm warned. This is a good system and I participate in it.

Yeah, more and more reading reviews, because I am getting SO TAKEN by some of the Amazon sellers. If so, I write a baaaaaad review, believe me. Books, too --- I am taken in by exciting book blurbs and good plot ideas, and then the book is a total waste of money and I can't finish it. But if I read reviews and they all lambast the book or whatever else, I'm warned. This is a good system and I participate in it.
Choose your literature carefully and read the entire book including the blurbs. I finish the entire tome and if I don't like it, hello circular file.

Last edited:
I've noticed that a lot of reviews are just ads. I've had to learn to pick out what looks more genuine.

Choose your literature carefully and read the entire book including the blurbs. I finish the entire tome and if I don't like it, hello circular file.
I know a lot of people finish any book they start. That's not my way ---- I get to count it for my quota if I do half or more. If less, I put in on the list but in pale grey so I know it's there and don't buy it again by accident. That has happened. . . .

There are many wonderful books I can pore over, word for word --- I don't want to spend that time on bad books. But I do need to read the reviews before I buy, I could save time and money by being more careful in choosing.

I've noticed that a lot of reviews are just ads. I've had to learn to pick out what looks more genuine.
If a metal food can has a dent I put it back and find one without a dent. I don't want to get food poisoning. Better them than me.

I generally look at the ratio of positive to negative, keeping in mind that people are more prone to post a review if they're unhappy with their purchase. Then I read a few of the negatives to determine if there are recurring flaws with the product as opposed to customer service issues.

For big ticket items the magazine "Consumer Reports" seems to have an honest evaluation. For a laugh (or not) a check of the potential side effects of common prescription medication might be entertaining.

For big ticket items the magazine "Consumer Reports" seems to have an honest evaluation. For a laugh (or not) a check of the potential side effects of common prescription medication might be entertaining.
That's your prerogative. How much for a subscription of Consumer Reports?

On Amazon I read the Most Recent reviews.
Many products have a high rating due to Quality Assurance a year or 2 ago but after a while their QA goes out the window.

I compare the ratio of 1/2 star to 3/4 star reviews and if the ratio is above .25 I read the negative reviews.

Positive reviews are worthless (and often fake). If I want that, I'll just read the seller's description.
I'll also do an online search for product reviews.

When reading the negative reviews try to separate the user incompetence from product failures. I stay away from product with a high % of product failures in their reviews.
Also I but from big vendors (Amazon, WMT, Target) so I can receive the protection of their return policies and if I can't buy from a big seller I use PayPal linked to my AMEX card so I get protection from both PayPal and AMEX.

And I NEVER EVER use the ATM card or "Pay by Check" in an online transaction. That risk is way too high.

To me, a product can go either way no matter what and so, no, I don't read what others have to say about it first if I ever do pay any attention to what other people think of it.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Last edited:

Forum List

Back