Should Age of Consent Law be Uniform in the US?

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
and if so, what age should it be?

Currently, it varies primarily between 16 and 18 in most states with some states having exceptions for "close in age". Even the "close in age" varies.

For example, Colorado's consent age is 17, however, a 16 year old may have sex with an adult less than 10 years older.

Discuss. This is on my mind partly due to Hastert's conviction for molesting five high school students.

I'm wanting a thoughtful discussion on the topic. Now, that I am a parent, I wish it were uniformly age 18. Since we know the pre-frontal cortex doesn't mature until after age 25, consider the burden of maturity we place on young people.

A warning to the teens of Colorado: Lay off the sexting. It might inadvertently ruin your life.

Currently, Colorado has some of the harshest penalties for underage sexting. The Daily Beast points out that, in Colorado, teens under 15 can consent to having sex with someone up to four years older than them, teens between 15 and 16 can consent to having sex with someone up to ten years older than them, and 17 is the legal age of consent.

However, just because teens can legally have sex doesn't mean that they can legally sext — and if they do it and get caught, they can face insanely harsh punishment, like having to register as a sex offender for the rest of their lives.
Sexting As a Teen in Colorado Could Make You a Sex Offender for Life

Sounds good. If she's in uniform, she's old enough.

seifuku11.jpg

I'm wanting a thoughtful discussion on the topic. Now, that I am a parent, I wish it were uniformly age 18. Since we know the pre-frontal cortex doesn't mature until after age 25, consider the burden of maturity we place on young people.
Yeah, even when I was younger, I would not date women under the age of 25. That was a solid rule with me. Under 25, girls are extremely confused. They have no idea what they want and are not to be trusted.

On the flip side, boys know exactly what they want, and it never changes no matter how old they are. :D

Yeah, even when I was younger, I would not date women under the age of 25. That was a solid rule with me. Under 25, girls are extremely confused. They have no idea what they want and are not to be trusted.
I agree. When I was under 25 I'd begun to be sexually active and I certainly didn't have much sense about it. It was confusing.

My grand daughter does not get out of the convent until she is 30.

Maybe.

The problem is our bodies are ready for it long before our minds are. Do we demonize our young to not follow their natures through their formative years and end up repressing them or letting them run free and put themselves at risk. I dunno the answer, I doubt anyone actually KNOWS the answer. It's all just opinion.

The problem is our bodies are ready for it long before our minds are. Do we demonize our young to not follow their natures through their formative years and end up repressing them or letting them run free and put themselves at risk. I dunno the answer, I doubt anyone actually KNOWS the answer. It's all just opinion.
You're right. It's risky to demonize youth by repressing them and it's scary to let them run free and put themselves at risk. The confusion shows in our laws, which are variable and the messages we give kids about sex in our culture.

Of course not.
I'm interested in why you say so...

Mainly because nowhere in the constitution does it say the feds can mandate at what age people can fuck. Leave it up too the states.

Why is thi an issue for you? You got the hots for a 12 year old or something?
I'm a parent, and Hastert's conviction is on my mind.

Problem is, pervs gonna be pervs. I raised two kids, don't let it get to you... odds are extremely high it will never be an issue in your life.

and if so, what age should it be?

Currently, it varies primarily between 16 and 18 in most states with some states having exceptions for "close in age". Even the "close in age" varies.

For example, Colorado's consent age is 17, however, a 16 year old may have sex with an adult less than 10 years older.

Discuss. This is on my mind partly due to Hastert's conviction for molesting five high school students.

While I think it would make things clearer- I think the states are more nimble when it comes to addressing the issue.

I favor states rights, so I have to side with whatever each state decides.

We have someone in the news who married a person forty years their junior. That seems like a problem.

Of course not.
I'm interested in why you say so...

Mainly because nowhere in the constitution does it say the feds can mandate at what age people can fuck. Leave it up too the states.

Why is thi an issue for you? You got the hots for a 12 year old or something?
I'm a parent, and Hastert's conviction is on my mind.

Problem is, pervs gonna be pervs. I raised two kids, don't let it get to you... odds are extremely high it will never be an issue in your lie.
It will never be an issue in my LIFE, you mean. I have four kids, three girls and one boy. The kids bio parents were teen parents. I worry.

I favor states rights, so I have to side with whatever each state decides.

We have someone in the news who married a person forty years their junior. That seems like a problem.
Who is that?

Forum List

Back