Should Age of Consent Law be Uniform in the US?

I'm wanting a thoughtful discussion on the topic. Now, that I am a parent, I wish it were uniformly age 18. Since we know the pre-frontal cortex doesn't mature until after age 25, consider the burden of maturity we place on young people.
Yeah, even when I was younger, I would not date women under the age of 25. That was a solid rule with me. Under 25, girls are extremely confused. They have no idea what they want and are not to be trusted.
I agree. When I was under 25 I'd begun to be sexually active and I certainly didn't have much sense about it. It was confusing.

I got married at 19 and my son was born the following year.
Getting married at 19 was fine when life expectancy was 35. :)
It depends, doesn't it? My son will turn 17 in July. I wouldn't see him as ready to marry by age 19.

If you are old enough to die for your country you should be allowed to gave a drink.
- When the age to drink was raised to 21 DUIs and drunk driving fatalities were much higher. A call to act was sounded. Despite the age range of those most responsible being between 25 - 35 politicuans targeted young people.

If you are responsible enough to be trusted in having a say in how our govt runs you should be able to have a drink.

Why is the age of consent to have sex 15yo in some states but to drink it's 21yo? 'Babies' are grown up enough to legally decide to fornicate and procreate but not to intoxicate?

I'm wanting a thoughtful discussion on the topic. Now, that I am a parent, I wish it were uniformly age 18. Since we know the pre-frontal cortex doesn't mature until after age 25, consider the burden of maturity we place on young people.

Leave it to the states, and if you don't like the laws in your state get them changed or move to another state.

As a parent, don't depend on laws to help you raise your child. Raise them as you see fit. If they are screwed up, it's on the parents, not the government.

Why is the age of consent to have sex 15yo in some states but to drink it's 21yo? 'Babies' are grown up enough to legally decide to fornicate and procreate but not to intoxicate?

Having irresponsible sex is between two people, but drinking irresponsibly can endanger others.

A warning to the teens of Colorado: Lay off the sexting. It might inadvertently ruin your life.

Currently, Colorado has some of the harshest penalties for underage sexting. The Daily Beast points out that, in Colorado, teens under 15 can consent to having sex with someone up to four years older than them, teens between 15 and 16 can consent to having sex with someone up to ten years older than them, and 17 is the legal age of consent.

However, just because teens can legally have sex doesn't mean that they can legally sext — and if they do it and get caught, they can face insanely harsh punishment, like having to register as a sex offender for the rest of their lives.
Sexting As a Teen in Colorado Could Make You a Sex Offender for Life

False comparison- the sexting laws are intended to protect immature teens from having their "friends" text compromising images of them.
That's quite different than 2 people deciding to have sex, don't you think?

and if so, what age should it be?

Currently, it varies primarily between 16 and 18 in most states with some states having exceptions for "close in age". Even the "close in age" varies.

For example, Colorado's consent age is 17, however, a 16 year old may have sex with an adult less than 10 years older.

Discuss. This is on my mind partly due to Hastert's conviction for molesting five high school students.

It would make sense to have the law being uniform throughout the US, if a couple go from one state to another are they going to know if the laws are different or not?

Close in age laws make sense too.

I think that 16 is a good enough age, kids will have sex anyway, making sure they get the right education is more important than any law of consent. People don't have sex just because it's legal, if they want sex they'll assume they won't get caught anyway, unless someone gets pregnant, and if it's an unwanted pregnancy then there is a problem which is less to do with the law, than with education.

I completely agree with u. I feel like any1 under 18 is not fully mature yet. Heck, we aren't even PHYSICALLY mature yet. U just let it B known that it is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN, which explains my deep regret 4 these 7 tats my mom signed for. I always wonder, how I thought they were good ideas then but am now truly self conscience about them now. I,myself, am a parent, as well, & can feel my blood want 2 boil when I think of the possibility of an older person, with more life experience preying on my daughter. Now 3 yr age diff. I can understand but any older & UR looking at at a child!

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Sounds good. If she's in uniform, she's old enough.

seifuku11.jpg
Thirteen will get you thirty.

Having irresponsible sex is between two people, but drinking irresponsibly can endanger others.
Having irresponsible sex can lead to kids, single parenting, which can lead to MY tax dollars / money being taken to pay for / support those kids / that family... It can very well effect others.

And I agree, you can't stop kids from doing so. You can, however, stop paying for every child botn out of wedlock - stop paying people to have kids. One? Ok. Two....three...four? Um, no.

Having irresponsible sex can lead to kids, single parenting, which can lead to MY tax dollars / money being taken to pay for / support those kids / that family... It can very well effect others.

And I agree, you can't stop kids from doing so. You can, however, stop paying for every child botn out of wedlock - stop paying people to have kids. One? Ok. Two....three...four? Um, no.

Sure, I agree. Stop incentivizing people who can't pay for their kids to have them. Laws pertaining to teenage sex is not the way to do it tho.

and if so, what age should it be?

Currently, it varies primarily between 16 and 18 in most states with some states having exceptions for "close in age". Even the "close in age" varies.

For example, Colorado's consent age is 17, however, a 16 year old may have sex with an adult less than 10 years older.

Discuss. This is on my mind partly due to Hastert's conviction for molesting five high school students.

It should be uniformed in today time and nothing under the age of 18...

Of course not.
I'm interested in why you say so...

Mainly because nowhere in the constitution does it say the feds can mandate at what age people can fuck. Leave it up too the states.

Why is thi an issue for you? You got the hots for a 12 year old or something?
I'm a parent, and Hastert's conviction is on my mind.

Problem is, pervs gonna be pervs. I raised two kids, don't let it get to you... odds are extremely high it will never be an issue in your lie.
It will never be an issue in my LIFE, you mean. I have four kids, three girls and one boy. The kids bio parents were teen parents. I worry.

Yes, LIFE, sorry.

This is one of those cases where the government isn't necessary since it isn't a widespread problem. It is kind of like trans/pervs using the ladies/mans bathroom. It is so rare that when it does happen no one cares.

Forum List

Back