Should atheists or progressives be allowed to hold office?

Should atheists or progressives be allowed to hold office?
Both, though 'allow' has nothing to do with it as prohibiting would be against the Constitution.

We should bar fundamentalist Christian conservatives from public office, since they put God before country, and God before our Constitution.
How so; the Constitution was founded on the notion of people being endowed by their creator with inalienable rights.

If atheists reject a creator (and consequentially the rights) how can they uphold the Constitution?

Wrong. You're arguing that the Constitution mandates a belief in supernatural beings. It does not.

If a person said their first allegiance was to Allah, then what?

Elected officials have to take an oath to uphold the Constitution.

Atheists and progressives reject the Founders and believe that humans have no inherant rights beyond what the state decides on a whim; since they don't believe in the Constitution why should they be allowed to run for office?

Wow, fantasy land.....

We should bar fundamentalist Christian conservatives from public office, since they put God before country, and God before our Constitution.
How so; the Constitution was founded on the notion of people being endowed by their creator with inalienable rights.

If atheists reject a creator (and consequentially the rights) how can they uphold the Constitution?

Um ... that's the Declaration of Independence ... not the Constitution ...

Atheists and progressives reject the Founders and believe that humans have no inherant rights beyond what the state decides on a whim; since they don't believe in the Constitution why should they be allowed to run for office?

I wish people would stop pegging all atheist as communist. Communist did not believe in God but not all atheist were communist.

I wish people would stop pegging all atheist as communist. Communist did not believe in God but not all atheist were communist.

What? You expect people to comprehend nuance? Atheist = Bad! Bad = Communist.
See how easy that is? Get with it!

...and trusting Nazis for truth and accuracy served Poland, France and England so well.

There are eight states that still have laws prohibiting atheists from holding office per their state constitutions.
Arkansas, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. Obviously atheists can hold office in those states, as those laws are unconstitutional, but they remain on the books.

Interesting observation considering the oath of office and swearing in is with a Bible culminating with the statement So Help Me God.
Apparently we have some politicians that will have to stand in judgement for their conduct and words.

The laying of hands and swearing on the Bible is not a requirement even in our lower courts. The person being sworn in can simply raise their hand and say, "I so affirm." By affirming that person effectively says, "I will uphold" or "I will testify truthfully."

Progressives yes, atheists no.

An atheist cannot seriously take the oath of office as it is meaningless to them as anything more than a mere pledge.
So what? That's true for theists too. For example how many of them swear to god to stay married till death do you part then you divorce?

When I swear to uphold the constitution I'm just as sincere as a theist. I don't need to promise a God I don't believe in. That doesn't mean I won't and believing in God doesn't mean you will

Interesting observation considering the oath of office and swearing in is with a Bible culminating with the statement So Help Me God.
Apparently we have some politicians that will have to stand in judgement for their conduct and words.
no where is it required by the constitution to take any oaths on a so called "holy book"

so help me god?

and just which god (s) are you seeking for help from?

let me guess which god ...hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Swearing in with a bible is a custom, not a constitutional requirement.

I am a racially aware atheist pretty much and I am certainly no damn progressive. Look up my religion Creativity in my signature we don't believe in any higher power etc but are NOT progressive or liberal.

My personal thought is no.
however the constitution dictates something entirely different, so if they are eligible as far as the constitution is concerned, and they win a fair election. I guess I just have to suck it up and accept it for what it is.

Ah I do love it when you Fascists come right out and admit your intent to break the Constitution.

From the United States Constitution:
.; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Now as for the rest of your idiotic claim- as an 'atheist' and as a 'progressive' I can say you are a total ignorant, biased idiot- I do not reject the 'Founders'- but unlike you I actually read about them and don't consider them dieties. And I actually read and know the Constitution- which you clearly do not

Men like George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson were brilliant men who crafted an amazing and revolutionary concept- of a Democratically elected Republic with rights for individuals and no heriditary monarchy.

You would deny the Constitutional rights of those you disagree with. Which is contrary to everything our Constitution stands for.

Progressives yes, atheists no.

An atheist cannot seriously take the oath of office as it is meaningless to them as anything more than a mere pledge.

A religious person cannot seriously take the oath of office, as he puts his god before the constitution- his pledge is meaningless as he will violate it if he believes his God has a contrary view.

There is no requirement to swear in with a Bible or use the statement 'So help me God"

Forum List

Back