🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should Calling 911 Too Often Be Illegal?

So let me get this straight. Someone breaks into my apartment while I'm in it and I call 911. A week later, my neighbor isn't answering his door and knowing he's in there, I call 911, they find him on the floor having had a heart attack. Two days later, a dog is threatening me and I can't leave my home so I call 911. Next day I call 911 because my other neighbor's house in on fire. Now I'm being arrested? Sounds stupid to me.

You know damn well that's not what they're talking about.

Yeah, I know, I also know that when you have a rule like that, it can be used however they like.

I think fines for using the 911 system for stupid shit should be made higher. We had a guy who called 911 because a deli owner wasn't making his sandwich right. But in cases of domestic violence,no because someone could end up dead. If they want to increase fines or jail time for violation of restraining orders or pass a law that automatically takes a restraining order out on a person after so many calls to the house,that I would be in favor with. I gotta admit it ridiculous when a person gets the shit beat out of them repeatedly,calls the cops repeatedly and then lets said douchebag back in the house to do it all over again. If they aren't gonna do something about it the cops should be able to. A friend of mine was killed two years ago by her husband after she took him back one to many times. He stabbed her to death, damn near stabbed to death the family dog who tried to defend her and then hung himself.

While a tragedy, your friend's death was completely her own fault. She took him back one too many times.

Years ago I had a client who came in for a divorce after her husband beat her up. She wanted a divorce. Before I could get the papers completed she was back. They had patched it up. He was sorry. She had to forgive him, for her own good.

The next time she came back she was beaten up even worse than before. She refused to sign the divorce papers or the ones requesting a restraining order. He was sorry. He CRIED, he was so sorry. She came back again after another beating. Again she stopped the action. She forgave him.

The next time she came back, it was a beating that broke her jaw and her arm. When she called to tell me not to continue because a divorce would ruin his life I warned her. I told her he was escalating. This can only result in her death if she stayed. She stayed because THIS time he was serious. He was going to get counseling.

The next time she came back it was a couple of months later. While he was beating her, she fell into a glass coffee table and it broke. He picked up a shard and put out her left eye and slashed her face. THIS time she was really serious. This was IT. Nothing would stop this divorce.

But she forgave him. He told her they would take a vacation, just the two of them. He loved her more than ever. I told her that I would never see her again. He would kill her next time.

I never saw her again. I don't know whether he did kill her, or she was just too embarrassed to come back.

Women who stay with abusers are like drug addicts. There is something early in the relationship that sparks an addiction. Women keep chasing that feeling that they had at that time. Just like a heroin addict can't give up that first rush. He loves her. No one would ever love her like that again. It was complete devotion. They will endure anything if they could feel that way, that loved, again.

Calling the police does nothing. Half the time, the woman attacks the police officers who are threatening their man. Taking the women to shelters doesn't work. They will sneak out or worse, sneak their abuser in.

There is no solution for domestic violence.

It's not always so cut and dried. I lived with an abuser for 2 1/2 years when I was a young woman. I went to the emergency room twice because he'd hurt me. Most of the time he didn't really hurt me that bad, though. But he was scary. And I left him.

Borrowed money from my sister so I could have a down payment on an apartment. When he would be gone I went looking at apartments, on foot. I didn't even have a car at that time. Found an apartment and rented it. Then, one day while he was gone I called a cab and threw everything I could into it and went to my apartment.

A girlfriend who had a truck went back with me a week or so later to get the rest of my stuff. We didn't see him, good thing because she was ready and willing to kill him. :)

He knew where I worked but he never came around there. It was one thing to beat up a 5'1" 110 pound woman, but an office full of men...no, I'm sure he was afraid of that.

Actually, I have to thank him because he made me tough. I became very interested in self-defense after that, always kept a gun handy at home, took karate, learned to always be aware of my surroundings and prepared to act if attacked.

Women who haven't been punched around by a man have no idea how strong men are and how fast these attacks happen, but I know. So when I am out in a parking lot and a man gets within 50 feet of me I've got him in my sights. Aware of his every move. Ready to kill him if need be. (My karate instructor told us that little women can't afford to try and just "disable" someone. We're too small and if they get ahold of us we'll be defenseless. So he told us we just need to give it all we've got, go for the kill. We can't mess around. Then he grinned and said...don't tell anyone I told you that!) :)

My wife used to volunteer at a women's shelter...she left in disgust after not quite two years. The last straw was when one of the women came in (sixth, maybe seventh time) with a broken arm after her boyfriend attacked her with a hammer. She told the woman, "If you are stupid enough to go back to him, you deserve to be beaten to death and I hope he finally does it!" walked out, and never went back. A week earlier, she had told another, "If you just want someone to beat the shit out of you, I'll do it! No need to go back to that pendejo." Her exact words to me were, "The kindest thing you could do for some of those women is to shoot them in the head."

She got sick of putting in the effort (and, several times, risking her own safety by accompanying them to get money, papers, medication, etc.) to help women who just refuse to be helped.

Last edited:

Many communities have passed laws that threaten renters with eviction if they make too many 911 emergency calls.

But domestic violence advocates will argue in federal court Thursday that the laws endanger women and violate their free-speech rights.

Should Calling 911 Too Often Be Illegal? | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Test Case On 911 Calls, Evictions Set For Trial In Philadelphia « CBS Philly

An ordinance in the Philadelphia suburb fines landlords and orders them to evict tenants who make three 911 calls within four months. Norristown officials say the laws are designed to promote peaceful neighborhoods and discourage nuisance calls.

Test Case on 911 Calls, Evictions Set for Trial - ABC News

Basically the deal is that if you are female, you are more likely to be the victim of domestic abuse and if you are a renter, you can be evicted if your ex-boyfriend bothers you three times in four months which isn't a lot.

Cities don't want to pay money for officers, court, etc., so they're basically trying to get rid of the problem by passing laws that endanger the victim.
It's about time. I have friends that are police officers. They tell me some stories that are just unreal as to the reasons why people call 911.
The best one I have heard was a person who called 911 because their neighbor left his porch light on. The neighbor was out of town.

Many communities have passed laws that threaten renters with eviction if they make too many 911 emergency calls.

But domestic violence advocates will argue in federal court Thursday that the laws endanger women and violate their free-speech rights.

Should Calling 911 Too Often Be Illegal? | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Test Case On 911 Calls, Evictions Set For Trial In Philadelphia « CBS Philly

An ordinance in the Philadelphia suburb fines landlords and orders them to evict tenants who make three 911 calls within four months. Norristown officials say the laws are designed to promote peaceful neighborhoods and discourage nuisance calls.

Test Case on 911 Calls, Evictions Set for Trial - ABC News

Basically the deal is that if you are female, you are more likely to be the victim of domestic abuse and if you are a renter, you can be evicted if your ex-boyfriend bothers you three times in four months which isn't a lot.

Cities don't want to pay money for officers, court, etc., so they're basically trying to get rid of the problem by passing laws that endanger the victim.
There are details missing from the NBC 10 story.
\The second story indicates the ordnance has exceptions for emergency calls. Domestic battery IS an emergency.
This actually falls on the heads of judges who refuse to put these bastards( abusers) in jail and keep them there.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. Someone breaks into my apartment while I'm in it and I call 911. A week later, my neighbor isn't answering his door and knowing he's in there, I call 911, they find him on the floor having had a heart attack. Two days later, a dog is threatening me and I can't leave my home so I call 911. Next day I call 911 because my other neighbor's house in on fire. Now I'm being arrested? Sounds stupid to me.

No..The ordinance exempts emergencies. I would consider your examples to be real emergencies.
In fact, I would consider you a hero for assisting the person with the heart attack.
You could save a life by picking up the phone and dialing those three numerals.

I think fines for using the 911 system for stupid shit should be made higher. We had a guy who called 911 because a deli owner wasn't making his sandwich right. But in cases of domestic violence,no because someone could end up dead. If they want to increase fines or jail time for violation of restraining orders or pass a law that automatically takes a restraining order out on a person after so many calls to the house,that I would be in favor with. I gotta admit it ridiculous when a person gets the shit beat out of them repeatedly,calls the cops repeatedly and then lets said douchebag back in the house to do it all over again. If they aren't gonna do something about it the cops should be able to. A friend of mine was killed two years ago by her husband after she took him back one to many times. He stabbed her to death, damn near stabbed to death the family dog who tried to defend her and then hung himself.

While a tragedy, your friend's death was completely her own fault. She took him back one too many times.

Years ago I had a client who came in for a divorce after her husband beat her up. She wanted a divorce. Before I could get the papers completed she was back. They had patched it up. He was sorry. She had to forgive him, for her own good.

The next time she came back she was beaten up even worse than before. She refused to sign the divorce papers or the ones requesting a restraining order. He was sorry. He CRIED, he was so sorry. She came back again after another beating. Again she stopped the action. She forgave him.

The next time she came back, it was a beating that broke her jaw and her arm. When she called to tell me not to continue because a divorce would ruin his life I warned her. I told her he was escalating. This can only result in her death if she stayed. She stayed because THIS time he was serious. He was going to get counseling.

The next time she came back it was a couple of months later. While he was beating her, she fell into a glass coffee table and it broke. He picked up a shard and put out her left eye and slashed her face. THIS time she was really serious. This was IT. Nothing would stop this divorce.

But she forgave him. He told her they would take a vacation, just the two of them. He loved her more than ever. I told her that I would never see her again. He would kill her next time.

I never saw her again. I don't know whether he did kill her, or she was just too embarrassed to come back.

Women who stay with abusers are like drug addicts. There is something early in the relationship that sparks an addiction. Women keep chasing that feeling that they had at that time. Just like a heroin addict can't give up that first rush. He loves her. No one would ever love her like that again. It was complete devotion. They will endure anything if they could feel that way, that loved, again.

Calling the police does nothing. Half the time, the woman attacks the police officers who are threatening their man. Taking the women to shelters doesn't work. They will sneak out or worse, sneak their abuser in.

There is no solution for domestic violence.

It's not always so cut and dried. I lived with an abuser for 2 1/2 years when I was a young woman. I went to the emergency room twice because he'd hurt me. Most of the time he didn't really hurt me that bad, though. But he was scary. And I left him.

Borrowed money from my sister so I could have a down payment on an apartment. When he would be gone I went looking at apartments, on foot. I didn't even have a car at that time. Found an apartment and rented it. Then, one day while he was gone I called a cab and threw everything I could into it and went to my apartment.

A girlfriend who had a truck went back with me a week or so later to get the rest of my stuff. We didn't see him, good thing because she was ready and willing to kill him. :)

He knew where I worked but he never came around there. It was one thing to beat up a 5'1" 110 pound woman, but an office full of men...no, I'm sure he was afraid of that.

Actually, I have to thank him because he made me tough. I became very interested in self-defense after that, always kept a gun handy at home, took karate, learned to always be aware of my surroundings and prepared to act if attacked.

Women who haven't been punched around by a man have no idea how strong men are and how fast these attacks happen, but I know. So when I am out in a parking lot and a man gets within 50 feet of me I've got him in my sights. Aware of his every move. Ready to kill him if need be. (My karate instructor told us that little women can't afford to try and just "disable" someone. We're too small and if they get ahold of us we'll be defenseless. So he told us we just need to give it all we've got, go for the kill. We can't mess around. Then he grinned and said...don't tell anyone I told you that!) :)

Question is did your Sen Sei teach you the discipline side of martial arts? If not, choose another dojo and learn discretionary self defense. If you choose to use your skills and attack an innocent person, you'll be in a world of shit. Trust me on this.
The fact that your radar fires up when a guy gets within 50 feet of you tells me you have issues with which you must deal.
To be honest, Karate is not going to do you any good. The reason is in order to hit a guy who has a longer reach, you must get close enough for him to get hold of you....
Then you are in trouble.
I want to pass this along to you because you need REAL training.
Krav Maga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia..
I took these classes for a few months and wish I had continued but my work schedule is kind of nuts so I had to stop. If you want real world self defense training in a very disciplined forum, this is for you. Trust me. This martial art WORKS...One of the instructors in my school was a small woman. Maybe 5'3 about your weight. She was very good in close in combat. She could break down the men very quickly and put them into a position where she could inflict a lot of disabling pain.
Check it out.

If there are too many BOGUS calls one can be fined but I won't go as far as eviction especially if the reason for call is valid.

However, I suspect that is the way to circumvent the impossibility to evict a problematic family otherwise.

After the 2nd or 3rd fake call the person should be billed for the entire cost of the response. In some cases ambulance and emergency services bill the victim anyway.

Anyone who calls 911 is a pussy, a fat fuck , a coward , a racist and a stalker who deserves to be beaten to death.
I wouldn't call 911 if my neighbors life depended on it.
He said calling 911 was racist.

I'm not racist, so I will watch him die.

No one is suggesting being arrested, it's a fine. Which can be challenged and you can tell it to a judge.

It's to stop people from calling 911 to report pickles on their big macs. Some jurisdictions just charge for all 911 calls. It's tacked on to your phone bill.

911 calls should be free. If they are proven to not be an emergency, fine, get the caller to pay.

No..The ordinance exempts emergencies. I would consider your examples to be real emergencies.
In fact, I would consider you a hero for assisting the person with the heart attack.
You could save a life by picking up the phone and dialing those three numerals.

Then I misread the op, or something was missing. I have no problems with putting a penalty on calling 911 too many times for something that is not an emergency. It does however depend.. my neighbor one time, his son got a new flashlight and was flashing the SOS signal out the window. I called 911. They asked me if I went over to ask them about it and I said "No, that's your job, my job is to inform you that they are sending out a distress signal." If it's real, I sure as hell am not prepared to walk in the middle of something. The cops finally came, and left. I'm thinking that the kid never flashed SOS out the window again. Seriously, how am I suppose to know it's not real?

Anyone who calls 911 is a pussy, a fat fuck , a coward , a racist and a stalker who deserves to be beaten to death.
I wouldn't call 911 if my neighbors life depended on it.
He said calling 911 was racist.

I'm not racist, so I will watch him die.

Time to have the medication adjusted, dude.

Forum List

Back