Should Cars Be Sold Directly to Consumers or via Dealerships? AZ, NJ & TX say NO!!!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
New Jersey Becomes Third State To Ban Tesla?s Direct Sales Model | TechCrunch

Should cars be sold directly to consumers, cutting out the mid-man (dealerships). It sounds very anti-capitalistic to say no, but dealerships provide many many high paying jobs: Salesman, Managers, Mechanics, Finance, Brokers, Marketing Exe, Buyers etc. Cutting out them, then you lose millions upon millions of jobs. Start the trend from direct from the manufacturer sales with one auto manufacturer and see it spread like the plague.

Normally I would be against such a move, but the job and industry ramifications and lose of another industry makes me think this isn't the worst move.

Of course, I want to support anything and everything Tesla does, because I believe they are starting the wave of the future, I also see the advantage in "forcing" the OEMs to use dealerships.

Who's going to do the warranty service repairs?

Joe's Shade Tree House Of Repairs Of Phantom Problems?

I recall a Company called "General Motors" who went bankrupt try to change the way we bought cars when they first marketed the Saturn.

But I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Generic Motors makes junk. Always have, always will.

Saturn was a good idea. Problem was, it was Generic Motors that tried it and GM could fuck up a one car funeral.

My first question....."Where do I take my car for service and how do I know they know what the fuck they're doing?"

And, "Who trains the mechanics?"

I'm no friend of Dealers. Bunch of fucking thieves. But I wonder if this has been thought out.

If you believe in a free market then the answer is yes. If you believe in protectionism and cronyism then the answer is no.

I have no problem with direct sales. If the dealerships are providing something that people are willing to pay for - they'll do just fine.

If you believe in a free market then the answer is yes. If you believe in protectionism and cronyism then the answer is no.

It would be no problem for Tesla to pick up existing Dealerships -- Anywhere.

You look at some of the Dealers who sell off-brands..... I don't know.... Peugot or whatever.... Maybe some of the Porsche or Lamborghini or Ferrari or Bugati... No; VW owns Bugati, so that's out...

But there's no problem with them picking up Dealers. I bet there's hundreds of Dealers countrywide that would LOVE to have Tesla on their lots.

You sell something without the ability to service it and the consumer protection portion of the various States is going to get a little suspicious.

And I don't blame them.

Tesla needs to play by the rules. They're not selling Pet Rocks on TV, they're selling Cars. And Cars carry human beings as passengers, some of them babies.

The problem is simple... Tesla wants to keep all the profit for themselves.

I have no problem with direct sales. If the dealerships are providing something that people are willing to pay for - they'll do just fine.

Where do you go when your $7,000 transmission takes a shit 20 days after you buy it?

Or how about when that $10,000 Battery catches fire?

And who stands behind the work?

Who will do the recall work and who stands behind that?

Who services the car for you? Like a revolutionary new car might need some specialized service....? Maybe...? :dunno:

Fuck Tesla. They can play by the same rules everybody else plays by or they can go buh-bye.

We live in a Free Market Based Capitalist Society, not the Snake Oil salesman culture of the 19th Century.

Where do you go when your $7,000 transmission takes a shit 20 days after you buy it?

Who services the car for you? Like a revolutionary new car might need some specialized service....? Maybe...? :dunno:

Fuck Tesla. They can play by the same rules everybody else plays by or they can go buh-bye.

We live in a Free Market Based Capitalist Society, not the Snake Oil salesman culture of the 19th Century.

So if you don't want to buy a car that way, don't.

What gives you the right to tell others who want to buy a car that way that they are not allowed to?

I see no value added by dealerships

And some people obviously do.

Sooooo .......

Maybe we could let folks who don't see any value added by dealerships skip the dealerships and those who DO find value in them can buy from the dealerships ????????

You'll like this.

If Tesla Would Stop Selling Cars, We'd All Save Some Money | Cato Institute

But not this,

http://www.cato.org/blog/tesla-red-state-blues

We’ve seen this movie before, of course, with occupational licensure, consumer products, and so much more. And invariably it comes down to the same thing: the folks in place don’t like competition from the new kids on the block, so they run to the legislature for protection. Come on Texas (and North Carolina), practice what you preach. You’re making the blue states look good, and no self-respecting Texan wants that.

Last edited:

Should cars be sold directly to consumers, cutting out the mid-man (dealerships). It sounds very anti-capitalistic to say no, but dealerships provide many many high paying jobs: Salesman, Managers, Mechanics, Finance, Brokers, Marketing Exe, Buyers etc. Cutting out them, then you lose millions upon millions of jobs. Start the trend from direct from the manufacturer sales with one auto manufacturer and see it spread like the plague.

Normally I would be against such a move, but the job and industry ramifications and lose of another industry makes me think this isn't the worst move.

Of course, I want to support anything and everything Tesla does, because I believe they are starting the wave of the future, I also see the advantage in "forcing" the OEMs to use dealerships.

From what I read they are still creating jobs so they must be offering service. Due to this law they will have to layoff 27 employees in NJ and close sales operations.

Who services the car for you?
Like a revolutionary new car might need some specialized service....? Maybe...? :dunno:

Why from the TESLA dealership where you bought the car, of course. The only difference is the Tesla dealerships are run by Tesla rather than a 3rd party. If you are not near their service center, they make house calls!

store_det_schedule.jpg

SCHEDULE A SERVICE RANGER VISIT

No matter how far you live from a service center, be it 100 miles or 5, Tesla Rangers are always available to make a house call. Contact Tesla Service.

http://www.teslamotors.com/service/springfield

Garden State Plaza | Tesla Store Locations | Tesla Motors

Short Hills | Tesla Store Locations | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
You'll like this.

But not this,

Tesla and the Red-State Blues | Cato @ Liberty

We’ve seen this movie before, of course, with occupational licensure, consumer products, and so much more. And invariably it comes down to the same thing: the folks in place don’t like competition from the new kids on the block, so they run to the legislature for protection. Come on Texas (and North Carolina), practice what you preach. You’re making the blue states look good, and no self-respecting Texan wants that.

Obviously some dealership owners made some hefty campaign contributions....

I see no value added by dealerships

And some people obviously do.

Sooooo .......

Maybe we could let folks who don't see any value added by dealerships skip the dealerships and those who DO find value in them can buy from the dealerships ????????

I have no issues with that

If you need help buying your car, get a salesman. If you know the model, features and color you want, why not order direct?

People paying more for the same thing improves the economy? Is that seriously what you're arguing?

I'm confused, your post seems to be ranting against free markets, then you conclude you are pro-free market. Can you explain what you mean?

I think they should sell you car kits so you can build them yourself at home. Call your local Ford dealer and ask him to order you a kit for a F-150 pick-up. Tell him you want to build it yourself in your garage. Make sure you get some locktite so the screws don't come loose.

You'll like this.

But not this,

Tesla and the Red-State Blues | Cato @ Liberty

Obviously some dealership owners made some hefty campaign contributions....

It's a win, win? Tesla still gets to fuck over the tax payers too!

First, there’s the $7500 taxback bonus that every buyer gets and every taxpayer pays. Then there are generous state subsidies ($2500 in California, $4000 in Illinois—the bluer the state, the more the taxpayers get gouged), all paid to people forking out $63K (plus taxes) for the base version, to roughly $100K for the really quick one.

Tesla didn’t generate a profit by selling sexy cars, but rather by selling sleazy emissions “credits,” mandated by the state of California’s electric vehicle requirements. The competition, like Honda, doesn’t have a mass market plug-in to meet the mandate and therefore must buy the credits from Tesla, the only company that does. The bill for last quarter was $68 million. Absent this shakedown of potential car buyers, Tesla would have lost $57 million, or $11,400 per car. As the company sold 5,000 cars in the quarter, though, $13,600 per car was paid by other manufacturers, who are going to pass at least some of that cost on to buyers of their products. Folks in the new car market are likely paying a bit more than simply the direct tax subsidy.

I think they should sell you car kits so you can build them yourself at home. Call your local Ford dealer and ask him to order you a kit for a F-150 pick-up. Tell him you want to build it yourself in your garage. Make sure you get some locktite so the screws don't come loose.

My grandfather always loved telling me how he build his first car from a kit. That was in the 19 teens. I'm not sure I get your point though.

Forum List

Back