Should middle school students be allowed to wear leggings at school?

Should leggings be allowed to be worn as pants in public middle schools?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
It changes nothing. The kids mirror their parents who are seeking status in any way, shape or form.
Seeking status is a part of life that all people do and kids typically mirror their parents. School should be and environment where at least your clothing doesnt give away your status.

As if nobody knows? Now it's back to appeasing the adults.
I disagree. Its about providing one less thing for kids to stress over. I've seen the kids with parents that couldnt afford the latest high priced clothes.

That's ok. As for me, it's purely to appease the adults. It does jack all for the kids and in many ways is detrimental.

It's like watching middle schoolers wearing gang colors. You want to see that. You want to see what you have on your hands. You want to know who these kids are. The other kids do.
I dont want to see middle schoolers wearing gang colors. I already know who these kids are. I dont need to see their clothes. I grew up in the same environment so its easy for me to see.

Then it's all about appeasing the adults. Out of sight out of mind. Schools appear to have great difficulty in deciphering who is and who isn't.
Can School Dress Codes Help Curb Gang Violence?
Canton High Students Suspended On First Day Of School For Wearing 'Gang Related' Shoes | HuffPost

A dress code doesn't have to mean a uniform.

Nope.Since middle schoolers and high schoolers have their own who is in and who is out club that fashion faux pas will only occur once. The same problem came up in the 1980s. Leggings as pants will last a short time and then it will be time for a different decade. Again with the stupid bell bottoms.

Dress code crackdown suspends 150 students, brings criticism

About 10 years ago, maybe longer, the NAACP kicked out a report called the School to Prison pipeline. Dress code violations is one of the absolute nonsense violations kids encounter. that leads to them being suspended.
How do you feel about dress code requirements in the work place? Like a law firm requiring lawyers to wear suits?

Court is a different ball game. Commandment one: Thou shalt not push your luck with the Judge. They can be extremely nitpicky regarding attire and some will tell you.

About 10 years ago, maybe longer, the NAACP kicked out a report called the School to Prison pipeline. Dress code violations is one of the absolute nonsense violations kids encounter. that leads to them being suspended.
How do you feel about dress code requirements in the work place? Like a law firm requiring lawyers to wear suits?

Court is a different ball game. Commandment one: Thou shalt not push your luck with the Judge. They can be extremely nitpicky regarding attire and some will tell you.
What about hospitals, sports teams, or even restaurants... most professional work environments have some form of a dress code. Do you have a problem with that or does it sound reasonable to you?

What about hospitals, sports teams, or even restaurants... most professional work environments have some form of a dress code. Do you have a problem with that or does it sound reasonable to you?

Depends on the environment. I have a problem with uniforms in public schools.

My question is about dress codes in professional work environments

I heard you. I told you where my problem is.

I’ll take that as you not having a problem with dress codes in professional work environments. So that leads to my point. If our children are going to move into a work force and culture where dress etiquette is a factor in most work places, then wouldn’t it make sense to include some form of that kind of structure and discipline in our school environment?

I’ll take that as you not having a problem with dress codes in professional work environments. So that leads to my point. If our children are going to move into a work force and culture where dress etiquette is a factor in most work places, then wouldn’t it make sense to include some form of that kind of structure and discipline in our school environment?

Slade, my issue is pretty specific. When it comes to uniforms, there are violations which lead to suspensions. There are several reasons for those violations. The uniforms are a part of the zero tolerance policies. Those policies have impacted juvenile delinquency. The American education system is still based on the factory model. A bell tells you when to shift to another class, when to eat lunch, when lunch is over and when quitting time is. It is structured. The uniforms appease adults.

Slade, my issue is pretty specific. When it comes to uniforms, there are violations which lead to suspensions. There are several reasons for those violations. The uniforms are a part of the zero tolerance policies. Those policies have impacted juvenile delinquency. The American education system is still based on the factory model. A bell tells you when to shift to another class, when to eat lunch, when lunch is over and when quitting time is. It is structured. The uniforms appease adults.
I don’t completely disagree with you. I think uniforms are too extreme for public schools, if a private school wants to operate that way then fine. I started this thread with a question about leggings and dress codes though.

I don’t completely disagree with you. I think uniforms are too extreme for public schools, if a private school wants to operate that way then fine. I started this thread with a question about leggings and dress codes though.

And I said back before let the girls wear the leggings. They are usually notified via others that it is a fashion faux pas. The 1980s had the same problems. Can you see through them? Then it should be fine. The parents buy the clothes and they can make that decision.

Last edited:

And I said back before let the girls wear the leggings. They are usually notified via others that it is a fashion faux pas. The 1980s had the same problems. Can you see through them? Then it should be fine. The parents buy the clothes and they can make that decision.
So it sounds like you don’t support a dress code in schools and want to leave it up to the parents... that’s fine but what of the point I made a few posts ago about creating an environment with a similar structure as the majority of professional work environments that’s school is supposed to be preparing our children for?

So it sounds like you don’t support a dress code in schools and want to leave it up to the parents... that’s fine but what of the point I made a few posts ago about creating an environment with a similar structure as the majority of professional work environments that’s school is supposed to be preparing our children for?

To do what? Legal has been off-shored, medical--specifically nursing is in the process of being destroyed, the IT sector has been nailed, banking has been outsourced and off-shored. R&D was off-shored some 20 years ago. The US is finally getting around to nanotechnology. The powers that be didn't see there was any profit to be made in robotics 30 years ago. And as everyone knows there is no shortage of teachers, ya just don't want to pay them. Fix that.

These are the most sought after foreign languages:
Foreign Language — Central Intelligence Agency

So, where are they in the schools? As a rule, there are two languages taught. One is Spanish and the other is French. Hell, there is a four year requirement in the district here but the Spanish teacher only does two years and the French teacher only does two years. The hell is that? Next county over you can learn Chinese in one of the high schools. It's one of the most overcrowded high schools. The kids are on top of each other and it is notorious for fights.

Coding..why is it not taught in the schools?

A minimum price tag to become a doctor or an attorney is $600,000

I live in an area where there are vo-techs that teach airplane mechanics, auto mechanics and nursing. Kids spend the last two years of high school going into that. There are a variety of after school clubs that the kids participate in but you have to be in high school for most of them. Robotics is one. Some schools have incorporated this into the class rooms but most do not. The last competition/meeting the DoD was scouting. YAG is another one. The kids go to the state house and write laws or lobby. They are required to wear suits. Mock Trial is another one. Depending on funding they actually teach a couple of law courses but most of the time it's all after school and most of the time it is all in high school.

But, do you know what these kids excel at? Taking tests. That is where the funding goes. Millions of dollars spent a year for testing that shows diddly squat.

These are decisions adults make. Until the adults are capable of addressing the above, then what is being asked for is nothing more than becoming obedient little robots. And that has already been achieved via testing and the factory model school.

Last edited:
Uniforms are a great idea, but the professional bitchers would have a conniption.

All schools should have a dress code. IMO all students should wear some type of uniform.

It is currently a dress code violation for students to wear uncovered leggings at public schools and many parents have been complaining about it. What are your thoughts about dress code rules in public schools?
I think American school kids should wear uniforms as is done in most countries around the world. It's just the best thing.

Forum List

Back