Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

Don't tell me how Conservatism is a political ideology that promotes freedom and liberty after all these screeds form Conservatives who would happily reinstitute Jim Crow for Gays!

Is it any wonder why your politics are viewed by the VAST MAJORITY of Americans as either cruel or greedy or self centered or hateful? Conservatives are now and always have been on the wrong side of history. None of their alleged 'ideals' have been sustained due to their inherent quality of division and stupidity.

Conservatives opposed women's rights, civil rights, labor reform, collective bargaining, environmental remediation and now, Gay rights. What a sterling record!

Liberals oppose all rights except special ones for special people.
It is tyranny to make someone serve customers he doesnt want to serve. It is tyranny to dictate to someone he must work against his conscience.

Those opposed to civil rights were largely Democrats, btw. Many of them favored high levels of gov't spending and programs. Just saying.

If you champion freedom so much, who gets freedom? Who is more deserving of freedom than someone else. One person's act of freedom is an act of slavery to someone else.

Do you think that people who do not want to attend a same sex marriage ceremony should be compelled to do so?

The City of Chicago wanted the 'freedom' to decide who could or could not own a handgun. The Supreme Court denied that city that freedom.

Did you object to that?

You are inventing your own set of circumstantial, variable, adjustable 'principles' to match your prejudices. That is not how principles work.

Because handguns are a speciifc right in the COnstitution.
You fail.

I didn't want to go to my brother's second wedding because I knew that his bride and future ex-wife was an evil person. I should not be compelled by force of law to attend. But if I owned a bakery and knew this woman and knew she was marrying someone other than my brother, I would definitely provide a cake. Not because I want the business (which every responsible business owner wants first) but because my objections have NOTHING to do with the business she wants to conduct with me.

And when a baker is compelled to violate their religious belief by attending a same sex wedding it has everything to do with the business being conducted.

You do know that wedding cakes are constructed on site. Those tiers aren't put into a big box and carried around.

People who by their religion don't believe in war, or killing, don't generally join the army and then demand the army adjust to their religious beliefs.

If your religion demands that you not do business with gay people, then you are a fool to start a business that may by law demand that you do business with gay people.

The law previously never demanded this. Its new, so someone who has been baking wedding cakes for 30 years now has to either compromise thier moral beliefs or leave thier business?

I guess progressive compasion is only reserved for certain classes. Fuck everyone else. I want mine.

Don't tell me how Conservatism is a political ideology that promotes freedom and liberty after all these screeds form Conservatives who would happily reinstitute Jim Crow for Gays!

Is it any wonder why your politics are viewed by the VAST MAJORITY of Americans as either cruel or greedy or self centered or hateful? Conservatives are now and always have been on the wrong side of history. None of their alleged 'ideals' have been sustained due to their inherent quality of division and stupidity.

Conservatives opposed women's rights, civil rights, labor reform, collective bargaining, environmental remediation and now, Gay rights. What a sterling record!

I want no such thing for gays. if put to a vote I would vote for gay marriage provided people are not compelled to go against thier moral values due to it.

What i oppose is taking all of the above items to absurd extremes where it goes from removing inequality to forcing ones views on others.

It is tyranny to make someone serve customers he doesnt want to serve. It is tyranny to dictate to someone he must work against his conscience.

Those opposed to civil rights were largely Democrats, btw. Many of them favored high levels of gov't spending and programs. Just saying.
I hear the cry of 'special rights' from Conservatives every time rights are protected for a class of citizens Conservatives hate. Rights aren't 'special' when they are being protected and extended to groups you hate. Rights are being maintained as they are to be maintained: for all citizens.

And how is society less tyrannical when bigotry rules rather than equality? Something about equality that is particularly disturbing to Conservatives? I know that egalitarianism is outside the Conservative lexicon. But equality? for all the faux "We love America" crap spewed by Conservatives, one would think that a concept like equality is something to be embraced rather than scorned.

And when a baker is compelled to violate their religious belief by attending a same sex wedding it has everything to do with the business being conducted.

You do know that wedding cakes are constructed on site. Those tiers aren't put into a big box and carried around.

People who by their religion don't believe in war, or killing, don't generally join the army and then demand the army adjust to their religious beliefs.

If your religion demands that you not do business with gay people, then you are a fool to start a business that may by law demand that you do business with gay people.

The law previously never demanded this. Its new, so someone who has been baking wedding cakes for 30 years now has to either compromise thier moral beliefs or leave thier business?

I guess progressive compasion is only reserved for certain classes. Fuck everyone else. I want mine.

Yes they do. People who were driving 50 miles an hour through an area don't get to retain their 50 mph driving habit after a school is built there and the speed limit goes down to 15 mph.

If you champion freedom so much, who gets freedom? Who is more deserving of freedom than someone else. One person's act of freedom is an act of slavery to someone else.

Do you think that people who do not want to attend a same sex marriage ceremony should be compelled to do so?

The City of Chicago wanted the 'freedom' to decide who could or could not own a handgun. The Supreme Court denied that city that freedom.

Did you object to that?

You are inventing your own set of circumstantial, variable, adjustable 'principles' to match your prejudices. That is not how principles work.

You fail.

And equal treatment under the law is not?

I hear the cry of 'special rights' from Conservatives every time rights are protected for a class of citizens Conservatives hate. Rights aren't 'special' when they are being protected and extended to groups you hate. Rights are being maintained as they are to be maintained: for all citizens.

And how is society less tyrannical when bigotry rules rather than equality? Something about equality that is particularly disturbing to Conservatives? I know that egalitarianism is outside the Conservative lexicon. But equality? for all the faux "We love America" crap spewed by Conservatives, one would think that a concept like equality is something to be embraced rather than scorned.

Singling out groups for special treatment is contrary to the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

Conservatives are for equality. FOr everyone. Liberals want special treatment. Special treatment for blacks. For women. For Muslims. For gays. Etc. How many special interest group bills have the Democrats sponsored and passed?

Singling out groups for special treatment is contrary to the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

Conservatives are for equality. FOr everyone. Liberals want special treatment. Special treatment for blacks. For women. For Muslims. For gays. Etc. How many special interest group bills have the Democrats sponsored and passed?

And why have Conservatives been blocking the road where equality is concerned? Injustices were being done to those groups by Conservative bigots. Why? What's the problem with Conservatives where equality is concerned? Why would Conservatives actively seek to discriminate? Why would anyone with a heart and a brain and a belief in the greatness of this country EVER identify positively with Conservative politics?

Your warped, twisted arcane beliefs offer NOTHING to the promotion of one country one people, indivisible, liberty, justice and fairness. You promote hatred and bigotry and suspicion and wrap yourselves vainglorious in the trappings of America and declare yourselves right and righteous. Meanwhile, the people must struggle against your ignorance in order to bring the principles of America into real life.

Yes they do. People who were driving 50 miles an hour through an area don't get to retain their 50 mph driving habit after a school is built there and the speed limit goes down to 15 mph.

reducing speed over a 50 ft distance does not ruin a person's livelyhood. This is one of the stupidest comparisons I have seen on this board, and that goes back to when TM was posting.

Did you object to that?

You fail.

That 14th amendment just sticks in some people's craw.

And why have Conservatives been blocking the road where equality is concerned? Injustices were being done to those groups by Conservative bigots. Why? What's the problem with Conservatives where equality is concerned? Why would Conservatives actively seek to discriminate? Why would anyone with a heart and a brain and a belief in the greatness of this country EVER identify positively with Conservative politics?

Your warped, twisted arcane beliefs offer NOTHING to the promotion of one country one people, indivisible, liberty, justice and fairness. You promote hatred and bigotry and suspicion and wrap yourselves vainglorious in the trappings of America and declare yourselves right and righteous. Meanwhile, the people must struggle against your ignorance in order to bring the principles of America into real life.
You cleverly ignore every point I made in the last post. Why am I not surprised.
No one has blocked any road to equal treatment. What libs want is equal outcomes. That is not a constitutional standard. Not the US Constitution anyway.

You cleverly ignore every point I made in the last post. Why am I not surprised.
No one has blocked any road to equal treatment. What libs want is equal outcomes. That is not a constitutional standard. Not the US Constitution anyway.

Really? Then every civil rights bill, every bill concerning equal pay, every bill guaranteeing marriage equality has been passed either unanimously or at least sponsored by Conservatives? Guess again, idiot! Conservatives ALWAYS block moves to ensure equality!

And you clumsily stumbled passed all the points I made because A) it's painfully true and B) it does not help you argument for bigotry.

Really? Then every civil rights bill, every bill concerning equal pay, every bill guaranteeing marriage equality has been passed either unanimously or at least sponsored by Conservatives? Guess again, idiot! Conservatives ALWAYS block moves to ensure equality!

And you clumsily stumbled passed all the points I made because A) it's painfully true and B) it does not help you argument for bigotry.

No, every bill of the type you mention seeks to insure equal outcomes, not equal opportunities.
You fail.

You fail.

That 14th amendment just sticks in some people's craw.

Equal protection under the law depends on the definition of "equal." Same sex and opposite sex marriage are equal, they are different.

I know your opinion is different, so aruging that is moot.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

No, every bill of the type you mention seeks to insure equal outcomes, not equal opportunities.
You fail.

Really? Point out the "equal outcomes" portion.

Being able to use the same wedding planner for your wedding as everyone else is not special treatment.

You fail.
What a convenient skirt you hide behind. Cloak bigotry in terms like "equal outcomes" and sit back and smirk. Where did you get this stupid talking point? Some right wing pundit?

Being able to use the same wedding planner for your wedding as everyone else is not special treatment.

It isnt a right either. Your desire to use wedding planner X should not trump wedding planner X's right to work for who they choose to work for.

Forum List

Back