Should polygamy be legalized? (Poll)

Should the Federal government pass a law to allow polygamy?

• Yes

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters
Do you want abortion banned?

Do you want pedophilia banned?

Do you want murder banned?
All things that involve one side not consenting.

Ergo, its 'banning' is simply the protection of the right of the one who was not giving consent.

Polygamy does not involve the negation of consent. It is, essentially, contract law and the government has no business deciding who you want to marry or how many.

Edit: somehow lost the post I was quoting. Added it back in.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you're claiming that gays and anyone else who you don't think should be allowed to get married or less than human.
Marriage is a religious concept. Degeneracy has hidden in the dark throughout the history of man. It should stay in the dark. It should NOT be codified in civil society. And yeah, I equate degenerate behavior with animals. Any other questions?

Yeah I get it but the problem is when the secular side says "marriage" they mean something different than when the nonsecular side says it. The solution is to just have 2 different words since we are talking about 2 different things. Let the non secular aspect of marriage be called marriage and the secular side of it be called ____________ (insert word here). I think we would find that many of the arguments surrounding this issue go away.
The contract is called a marriage whether it is secular or non secular

What about the age of consent? When should girls be allowed to marry? 16? 14? 12?
I'm fine with laws that help keep society on a good track, morals are not a bad thing for a society to have.
Girls should be in school. Women and men should marry and reproduce and all....... normally 18 to 80.....but at 19 I had permission from her parents to date a 16 year old. Don't think I wanted to marry her though.

The contract is called a marriage whether it is secular or non secular
That's my point. Both sides call it marriage but it means different things to the secular and non-secular sides. Why not just have 2 different words since we have 2 different definitions.

Will someone please name any society in which polygamy did not lead to the exploitation of underaged girls.

Well, here are 5 areas that have societies in them that practice polyandry which certainly would not be an indication of 'exploiting young women.'

The problem you are complaining about is not really a problem with polygamy in general, it is a problem with polygyny as that is inherently explorative considering is is a sexist structure.

You want to know societies that practice polygamy that is not centered on exploitation of underage women? How about the US.

You may not like it but the practice is very common right here among perfectly healthy adults exploiting no one, it is just not legally recognized and you have absolutely no justification for why they are locked out of legal relationships that others are not locked out of. That you may want to focus on something like cults using the practice so the leader can exploit children is nothing more than a nutcracker fallacy. The reality is the exact same 'logic' and 'reasoning' that people use to this day to argue against gay marriage. Find some examples of gay's abusing children, apply that to the whole group and then refuse legal access because we just have to 'save the children.'

It was bullshit then and is bullshit now. In the end it has not and may not happen simply because not enough people care, not because there is any real or consistent reasoning behind it.

That's my point. Both sides call it marriage but it means different things to the secular and non-secular sides. Why not just have 2 different words since we have 2 different definitions.
Go on then. Call your religious practice something else then.

Marriage has far deeper roots in politics than it has ever had in any particular religious practice anyway. But, as far as I can tell, religious people are not willing to do so and I have no idea why anyone would think that means the onus is on everyone else to accept a new title.

Go on then. Call your religious practice something else then.

Marriage has far deeper roots in politics than it has ever had in any particular religious practice anyway. But, as far as I can tell, religious people are not willing to do so and I have no idea why anyone would think that means the onus is on everyone else to accept a new title.
Not in this country.

Not in this country.
Not in this country what? The roots are not political? Sure, but they are equally secular and non-secular roots here as the practice has always existed here and has always been open to everyone minus the obvious racist shit.

So my point still stands.

Not in this country what? The roots are not political? Sure, but they are equally secular and non-secular roots here as the practice has always existed here and has always been open to everyone minus the obvious racist shit.

So my point still stands.

As does mine. Thanks.

Yeah I get it but the problem is when the secular side says "marriage" they mean something different than when the nonsecular side says it. The solution is to just have 2 different words since we are talking about 2 different things. Let the non secular aspect of marriage be called marriage and the secular side of it be called ____________ (insert word here). I think we would find that many of the arguments surrounding this issue go away.
Cheaper and easier the other way around. the work marriage is embedded into way to many laws, regulation, statutes, etc. to make it feasible to change. Plus religions whose foundational language is not English already have a different word.

But it does not mean fundamentally different things. It is a contract between 2 people indicating publicly that they are bound to each other. If you want to get really technical, it is 2 contracts. One for the State and one for your religious institution. I don't know how churches do it, but in a Jewish marriage, before the ceremony, the bride, groom, officiant (usually a Rabbi), and witnesses are in a room. They first sign and witness the civil contract and then the Ketubah.

Cheaper and easier the other way around. the work marriage is embedded into way to many laws, regulation, statutes, etc. to make it feasible to change. Plus religions whose foundational language is not English already have a different word.
Cheaper and easier than the ongoing argument we as a nation have been having for decades? Find/Replace. At least Congress would be doing something useful.

Now that the government approved gay marriages, what's the next taboo we can fix?

Polygamy
Polygamy is the practice of marrying multiple spouses. When a man is married to more than one wife at the same time, sociologists call this polygyny. When a woman is married to more than one husband at a time, it is called polyandry. In contrast to polygamy, monogamy is marriage consisting of only two parties.Wikipedia

Of course not.

Stupid, ignorant question.

But it does not mean fundamentally different things. It is a contract between 2 people indicating publicly that they are bound to each other. If you want to get really technical, it is 2 contracts. One for the State and one for your religious institution. I don't know how churches do it, but in a Jewish marriage, before the ceremony, the bride, groom, officiant (usually a Rabbi), and witnesses are in a room. They first sign and witness the civil contract and then the Ketubah.

Except that it does. The fact that religious leaders can enter 2 people into the secular version doesnt change that. Essentially the Rabbi/Preist/Pastor/Officiant is just notary public that's attesting to the fact that the 2 people who signed the contract are in fact who they say they are and agree to said contract.

Cheaper and easier than the ongoing argument we as a nation have been having for decades? Find/Replace. At least Congress would be doing something useful.
You do understand that copy/replace is not how you change the wording in a law, right? EVERYTHING needs to be amended and then voted on.

Except that it does. The fact that religious leaders can enter 2 people into the secular version doesnt change that. Essentially the Rabbi/Preist/Pastor/Officiant is just notary public that's attesting to the fact that the 2 people who signed the contract are in fact who they say they are and agree to said contract.
And the 2 contracts are for different purposes. They can have the same name and have different purposes. AAMOF, in current society, a marriage is not official without the secular part. You can have the contract from your church, but that is not going to entitle you to any benefits that are contingent on you being married.

Now that the government approved gay marriages, what's the next taboo we can fix?

Polygamy
Polygamy is the practice of marrying multiple spouses. When a man is married to more than one wife at the same time, sociologists call this polygyny. When a woman is married to more than one husband at a time, it is called polyandry. In contrast to polygamy, monogamy is marriage consisting of only two parties.Wikipedia

Grown adults should be able to do whatever the fuck they want if it doesn't interfere in the lives of others.

Also the government needs to BUTT THE FUCK OUT

Not everyone shares the same morals. For example some people believe it's immoral for same sex couples to get married But not everyone believes that.

If your morals are based on religious belief then enforcing those morals on everyone else Is a form of tyranny.

As long as all involved are consenting adults, The government should have no say in who's allowed to get married.
Why do they have to be based on religion to be considered tyranny?

Forum List

Back