Should religion be eliminated

Should religion be eliminated?

• Yes

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 85.4%

• Total voters
There is no ‘opposition to religion’ on USMB.

No one advocates for religion to be ‘eliminated.’
If it is bad as everyone says it is the logical conclusion would be to eliminate it. Right? Am I missing something?

If liberals are as bad as every conservative says they are (liars, commies, perverts, nazis, fascists, scum, traitors, terrorists lovers) the logical conclusion would be to eliminate them. Right? Am I missing something?

How can I concede someone else's argument? What ding says or believes is on him.

Fair enough, I took the way you jumped into the conversation to imply that you were agreeing with him.

My point was, and is, that Western Civilization derives its moral structure from its Judeo-Christian foundations, and that non-Judeo Christian cultures certainly have moral teachings, but they derived them from their own primary religious foundations.

If you're using a similarly broad definition of religion as the one I've explained, then we are in furious agreement, as the saying goes. For example, would you accept Confucianism in China as a "primary religious foundation?"

If no God exists, then there is no accountability to God. Do you agree with this logic?

So their belief that God exists - in and of itself - does not make them accountable. Do you agree with this logic?

So maybe you are trying to say something else.
Because a generic god doesn’t care what u do? That’s true
I don’t know what you mean by generic. I believe all people pray to the same God. Logically there is only one. They may have a different perception of who God is and I don’t see anything wrong with that. I believe our Founding Fathers got that part right.

In the context of what you are discussing the question is whether God is a personal or impersonal God. For all our sakes I pray he is a personal God.

Just because there's only one God doesn't mean everyone is automatically praying to him.
How do you know there's only one god?
Or any "god" at all, for that matter.

All they have is stories from their ancestors that they couldn't imagine are made up. Impossible they say but the truth is, their religion was made up by some 11 dudes 2000 years ago. Or, the stories were turned into facts 1500 years ago. Whoever did it someone lied.

So we should be able to say hold on a minute. Who is this god creature you are referring to? And unless this creature can pass the 5 simple rules of science, it should be thrown out as bullshit.

(1) Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so, including me.

(2) Think for yourself. Question yourself. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.

(3) Test ideas by the evidence gained from observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well-designed test, it's wrong. Get over it.

(4) Follow the evidence wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgment.

And perhaps the most important rule of all...

(5) Remember: you could be wrong. Even the best scientists have been wrong about some things. Newton, Einstein, and every other great scientist in history -- they all made mistakes. Of course they did. They were human.

Science is a way to keep from fooling ourselves, and each other.

How can I concede someone else's argument? What ding says or believes is on him.

Fair enough, I took the way you jumped into the conversation to imply that you were agreeing with him.

My point was, and is, that Western Civilization derives its moral structure from its Judeo-Christian foundations, and that non-Judeo Christian cultures certainly have moral teachings, but they derived them from their own primary religious foundations.

If you're using a similarly broad definition of religion as the one I've explained, then we are in furious agreement, as the saying goes. For example, would you accept Confucianism in China as a "primary religious foundation?"

I may or may not agree with him, depending on what he says. But I cannot concede his argument, because it's his.

As to definitions, religion is defined by Merriam-Webster as " the service and worship of God or the supernatural", "a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices", and "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith". That seems sufficient to be going on with. Confucianism would qualify, I should think. I suppose it's also the primary religious foundation in at least some areas, although I don't know a great deal about Asian history or culture. My mother-in-law was Chinese, from Taiwan, and her culture's primary religious foundation was apparently Buddhist. She later converted to Catholicism after marrying my father-in-law, but her philosophical worldview was still very Buddhist.

As to definitions, religion is defined by Merriam-Webster as " the service and worship of God or the supernatural", "a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices", and "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith".

In this conversation I think definitions from anthropology of religion would be more appropriate, or sociology of religion. The reason I think so is that the English dictionary definitions are a little ethnocentric, as you might expect ("worship of God..." and "faith") or else a little tautological ("system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices", but what is religious?). The former is a problem since we're trying to understand the role of religion as a cultural universal, and neither the first nor third definitions fit confucianism very well at all, while the second definition fits fine but is vacuous.

Ironically though, the second is probably closest to an anthropological definition, except an anthropologist like Geertz will try to flesh out more what is meant by religious (e.g. the development of and relationship between ethos and worldview), while keeping the elements of attitude, belief, practice, and especially the idea of institutionalized systems. Anyway, the point that I'm trying to work my way towards is this: if you allow a definition of religion broad enough to encompass both Confucianism and Catholicism, then this statement also becomes something of a tautology:

(or, to generalize: "the moral structure of a culture derives from it's religious foundations")

It becomes tautological because we end up defining religion as that aspect of culture which is concerned with morality and how moral structure is derived from a worldview. So whatever serves that role within a culture we will end up referring to as religious, although the religion of one culture will vary tremendously from that of another. I think this is relevant to both the religious and the anti-religious participants in this thread. It is both why the anti-religious should be skeptical about the idea of eliminating religion, but also why the defense of specific western religious institutions that ding wants to make fails, IMO.

Confucianism would qualify, I should think. I suppose it's also the primary religious foundation in at least some areas, although I don't know a great deal about Asian history or culture. My mother-in-law was Chinese, from Taiwan, and her culture's primary religious foundation was apparently Buddhist. She later converted to Catholicism after marrying my father-in-law, but her philosophical worldview was still very Buddhist.

I'm not an expert either, but my understanding is that the three primary religio-philosophical systems in Chinese history are Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism. Confucianism is the oldest, and I think traditionally probably the most important. But it's also the least "religious" (by western standards) of the three. For my purposes, it serves as an example of an ideology that fills that "moral structure" role in a culture without being theistic or concerned with worship and faith.

As to definitions, religion is defined by Merriam-Webster as " the service and worship of God or the supernatural", "a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices", and "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith".

In this conversation I think definitions from anthropology of religion would be more appropriate, or sociology of religion. The reason I think so is that the English dictionary definitions are a little ethnocentric, as you might expect ("worship of God..." and "faith") or else a little tautological ("system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices", but what is religious?). The former is a problem since we're trying to understand the role of religion as a cultural universal, and neither the first nor third definitions fit confucianism very well at all, while the second definition fits fine but is vacuous.

I think perhaps YOU are a bit ethnocentric, since you latched onto "God", apparently interpreted it only as the Judeo-Christian God, and missed "the supernatural" entirely. Not sure what you think is ethnocentric about faith.

Religious would be "relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity". No offense, but I think you're over-complicating this "English words with meanings" thing far more than it requires.

Confucianism certainly does fit all three definitions.

I don't have a problem with exploring topics beyond the bare bones definitions of words - obviously - but I tend to be skeptical at the point where it tends over the line into navel-gazing that seeks to blur and muddy communication by trying to be too clever.

Ironically though, the second is probably closest to an anthropological definition, except an anthropologist like Geertz will try to flesh out more what is meant by religious (e.g. the development of and relationship between ethos and worldview), while keeping the elements of attitude, belief, practice, and especially the idea of institutionalized systems. Anyway, the point that I'm trying to work my way towards is this: if you allow a definition of religion broad enough to encompass both Confucianism and Catholicism, then this statement also becomes something of a tautology:

See above.

(or, to generalize: "the moral structure of a culture derives from it's religious foundations")

It becomes tautological because we end up defining religion as that aspect of culture which is concerned with morality and how moral structure is derived from a worldview. So whatever serves that role within a culture we will end up referring to as religious, although the religion of one culture will vary tremendously from that of another. I think this is relevant to both the religious and the anti-religious participants in this thread. It is both why the anti-religious should be skeptical about the idea of eliminating religion, but also why the defense of specific western religious institutions that ding wants to make fails, IMO.

To a certain extent, anything that ends up filling the role that has traditionally been filled by religion throughout human history DOES, to a certain extent, become a religion. That's one of the reasons why the dictionary definitions are fairly general: to cover those occasions when people use the term "religion" to apply to things that aren't necessarily an orthodox religion as we understand it.

Confucianism would qualify, I should think. I suppose it's also the primary religious foundation in at least some areas, although I don't know a great deal about Asian history or culture. My mother-in-law was Chinese, from Taiwan, and her culture's primary religious foundation was apparently Buddhist. She later converted to Catholicism after marrying my father-in-law, but her philosophical worldview was still very Buddhist.

I'm not an expert either, but my understanding is that the three primary religio-philosophical systems in Chinese history are Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism. Confucianism is the oldest, and I think traditionally probably the most important. But it's also the least "religious" (by western standards) of the three. For my purposes, it serves as an example of an ideology that fills that "moral structure" role in a culture without being theistic or concerned with worship and faith.

Buddhism isn't theistic, either. Nor, to my knowledge, is it concerned with worship in the sense Western Civ understands it. However, both do have beliefs about human existence, our place and purpose in the universe, and the afterlife which one would have term as "supernatural".

Couldn't say about Taoism, because I know even less about it than I do Confucianism and Buddhism.

I skipped over Buddhism a little bit because I know Mahayana treats Buddha as divine in some sense, albeit one that's fairly different from a Christian God. I agree that many/most schools of Buddhism are non-theistic, and some also do not contain anything like a supernatural realm. Confucianism likewise does not really involve supernatural elements.

Should religion be eliminated? Depends on which one. Islam, definitely. It's a plague on humanity. It's a hateful violent invasive authoritarian ideology disguising itself as a religion. Definitely Islam should be eliminated.

Ah.... no. That would be incorrect. I have had 2 specific individuals that openly advocated to ban religion.

Given the existence of 2 people that supported such a move, I would be willing to guess there are more than that. How many more, I don't know.
No, it is correct.

You don't "know" anyone on an anonymous message board.

Ok, that is a fair point... except that the poll was also on the same anonymous message board. I suppose if you specifically said "Do you know people you have met in person that said they wanted to ban religion" then I would have to answer no.

There's quite a bit of opposition to religion here. I am just wondering how many of you people believe religion should be eliminated. It's been tried before and failed, but don't let that deter you in your quest.

Learn from their mistakes and give it another try.

Why the Soviet attempt to stamp out religion failed | Giles Fraser: Loose canon

I am truly sorry that the people you listen to have convinced you that liberals hate the christian god and want to destroy christianity.
LOTS of liberals ARE practicing christians. MOST Atheists merely don't believe in god and don't care if you do or not. Part of the problem is that when liberals try to deny conservatives the right to impose their religion on every one conservatives claim it is persecution. I am not actively trying to destroy religion. I am actively ignoring it.
Yes, lots of Christians are liberals. No argument there.

I hear a lot of people say that conservatives want to oppose their religion on them but I don’t see that. What I do see are citizens exercising their civic rights in a secular society.

No one is forcing religion on you. That’s an emotional statement.

And lastly the vast majority of militant atheists are liberals.

"No one is forcing religion on you. That’s an emotional statement."

There are elements of the evangelical community called DOMINIONSTS. They actually exist. They believe they should have dominion over the country, the government and the people. Newt Gingrich said (back in the 1990s) "we must change the laws of the land to reflect our religious beliefs and see to it that they can never be changed again". Mike Pence said "I am a christian first, a conservative second, and a republican third"....Never mentioned his patriotism. If he has any.

Because you are emotionally stunted and the truth scare you you can't admit the truth.

Keep trying!
Research the founders beliefs on natural law and get back to me.

yawn.

Don't need to.

I've been following the antics of conservative fascists christians since roger ailles put limbaugh on radio stations all over the country back in the late 1980's.

We appear to be talking about people imposing their beliefs on everyone. SOME people DO want to impose their religion on EVERYONE and it is not my fault that you are either unaware of it (no doubt you watch too much conservative misleading/lying news stations) or you're too obtuse to see it.

Did I mention roy moore? conservative, christian, republican, just lost out on a senate run?
He said he would legislates from his bible and he would criminalize gays,

THAT is IMPOSING your bible.

Would YOU vote for moore?

Interesting. I don't see where I could find a quote where he said "I will legislate from my Bible.". Could you point me to that quote? Also I don't see where he said he would criminalize gays. I do see that he thought it should be criminal, but not where he said he would criminalize gays.

You do understand the difference right? There is a large difference between an opinion, that you being an open minded left-winger at least claim you would tolerate differing views, and saying you would impose your opinion.

I skipped over Buddhism a little bit because I know Mahayana treats Buddha as divine in some sense, albeit one that's fairly different from a Christian God. I agree that many/most schools of Buddhism are non-theistic, and some also do not contain anything like a supernatural realm. Confucianism likewise does not really involve supernatural elements.

Nah on the "divine". Buddha - all of the Buddhas, really, but particularly Siddhartha Gautama, the most recent Buddha - was a person, albeit one who was enlightened far beyond what normal people achieve.

Breeze has a hard time understanding that Christianity and God are not automatically responsible for the evil that humans choose to do, simply because the humans attempt to hide behind them.

your religious platting is showing through ...

and yes the distortion of the 1st century by christianity is responsible for the evil it has attracted and bread through the centuries to this day.

You have the right to be wrong. And insane.

If it is bad as everyone says it is the logical conclusion would be to eliminate it. Right? Am I missing something?

If liberals are as bad as every conservative says they are (liars, commies, perverts, nazis, fascists, scum, traitors, terrorists lovers) the logical conclusion would be to eliminate them. Right? Am I missing something?

While I would agree with that, that isn't an option. They are all those things. No question about it.

But that just isn't a solution anymore. There are two basic options at this point. Watch the country burn, while laughing at them.... which is pretty much what I did with Trump. I don't like Trump, but the left-wing is going to destroy this country either way, so might as well put a guy in office that slaps them in the face, and then at least I get to laugh while he does it.

The other option, and I don't see people doing this, is simply to have large families and instill in those families the values that made America great. Eventually the left-wing will be supplanted by virtuous people, in a generation or so.

But that involves the good people of this country, having more kids, many more kids, and raising them with counter-cultural values. Since that isn't happening, I am just here for the ride, and to laugh as they scream and complain the more they get want they want.

Nah on the "divine". Buddha - all of the Buddhas, really, but particularly Siddhartha Gautama, the most recent Buddha - was a person, albeit one who was enlightened far beyond what normal people achieve.

Sure, but this is like saying that Jesus was human. In orthodox Christian traditions he was indeed human, but also divine. Also just like in Christianity, there are different viewpoints in Buddhism on this topic, but there are plenty of Buddhist texts which treat Buddha as something greater than human, and Buddha-hood as something like a state of divinity. Anyway this is a tangent and we don't have to sort it out really, my main point was just that I chose to focus on Confucianism instead of Buddhism because it's lack of supernatural elements or deities was more clear cut than in Buddhism. But to the extent that there are strictly non-theistic and naturalistic forms of Buddhism they are as useful of examples to my argument as Confucianism.

It seems like you chose to focus in on my mention of theism in order to rebut it by saying that all religions share some form of supernaturalism? I could be wrong about your intent, but in any case that is not true of Confucianism. Otherwise it's not clear to me where in your longer post you were really disagreeing with me. This passage for example is just a restatement of my post:

To a certain extent, anything that ends up filling the role that has traditionally been filled by religion throughout human history DOES, to a certain extent, become a religion. That's one of the reasons why the dictionary definitions are fairly general: to cover those occasions when people use the term "religion" to apply to things that aren't necessarily an orthodox religion as we understand it.

So I certainly agree with it.

So whatever serves that role within a culture we will end up referring to as religious, although the religion of one culture will vary tremendously from that of another.

(which is concerned with morality and how moral structure is derived from a worldview) So whatever serves that role - we will end up referring to as religious ... the religion of one culture will vary tremendously from that of another.

the above would seem contradictory as for religion being the metaphysical ingredient required for humanities morality from the first template of life not including but relating to the physiological development as well. being in fact singular and absolute processes no matter how many variations may be deemed possible the physical proof in the end is they will all conclude if correct with the same result when the end result is achieved.

anotherwords, there is an apex where all the divergent religions would convene were they to be processed without error.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but I think when you refer to religion as a "metaphysical ingredient" you are referring to a belief that religious values are revealed from some metaphysical source? If so, that's wrong under the paradigm of "religion" I've suggested. Religion as I've defined it doesn't have to be concerned with metaphysics or the supernatural at all. And in any case my view is that religions as cultural systems are thoroughly human creations, not divine revelations.

Sure, but this is like saying that Jesus was human. In orthodox Christian traditions he was indeed human, but also divine. Also just like in Christianity, there are different viewpoints in Buddhism on this topic, but there are plenty of Buddhist texts which treat Buddha as something greater than human, and Buddha-hood as something like a state of divinity. Anyway this is a tangent and we don't have to sort it out really, my main point was just that I chose to focus on Confucianism instead of Buddhism because it's lack of supernatural elements or deities was more clear cut than in Buddhism. But to the extent that there are strictly non-theistic and naturalistic forms of Buddhism they are as useful of examples to my argument as Confucianism.

It seems like you chose to focus in on my mention of theism in order to rebut it by saying that all religions share some form of supernaturalism? I could be wrong about your intent, but in any case that is not true of Confucianism. Otherwise it's not clear to me where in your longer post you were really disagreeing with me. This passage for example is just a restatement of my post:

So I certainly agree with it.

No, in terms of His followers and their beliefs, Jesus was basically God wearing a human suit.. Buddhists, on the other hand, don't believe that any of the Buddhas were anything but humans. Enlightened far beyond regular humans, but still just a human.

And yes, Confucianism is a bit of a grey area, since it is far more of a philosophy, intended to be compatible with religious beliefs, than a religion in and of itself. On the other hand, Confucius was essentially trying to revive and re-interpret the lost religion of a previous era in a society which had become even more secular than what he was propounding, so . . . it's kind of in how you want to look at it.

Buddhism, as I understand it, deals with questions of the afterlife as well as ethics and morality for everyday life. They aren't theists in the sense of having a god or gods which are . . . anthropomorphized, I guess you could say.

I'd say our area of disagreement remains largely in the realm of whether or not you accept that cultural morality always stems from religious roots. Even Confucianism is something of an exception that proves the rule, since its precepts were derived as a hearkening back to an earlier religion.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, but I think when you refer to religion as a "metaphysical ingredient" you are referring to a belief that religious values are revealed from some metaphysical source? If so, that's wrong under the paradigm of "religion" I've suggested. Religion as I've defined it doesn't have to be concerned with metaphysics or the supernatural at all. And in any case my view is that religions as cultural systems are thoroughly human creations, not divine revelations.

I wouldn't sweat it. I'm not entirely sure Breeze's posts are intended to be understood, so much as they're intended to throw in lots of big words to try to impress you.

I'd say our area of disagreement remains largely in the realm of whether or not you accept that cultural morality always stems from religious roots.

I mostly agree with this statement, although I think there are a couple of areas where we might interpret it differently. The first, the scope of the definition of religion, we've already discussed. The second is the logical implications of the word "always" (Ding on the other hand said "only").

Minimally, if "always" refers only to the historical record then I think that statement is true almost regardless of the definition used and I wouldn't quibble too much about some of the nuances in Buddhism or Confucianism or whatever else.

On the other hand, if it's supposed to imply some logical necessity which constrains what features "religions" might have in future cultures, then I think it's much weaker, depending on the definition of religion used. If it's taken to necessarily imply supernaturalism then I think that's wrong as a matter of necessity, although I expect a majority of humans to hold supernatural views into the foreseeable future, maybe even for as long as there are humans. But while it is true for example that many important values in European society developed within a Christian context, it's also true that the enlightenment values which shaped modern European societies are secular in ways which differ dramatically from the Byzantine empire or medieval Europe, and the trend in most of Europe is towards a far less "religious" kind of cultural Christianity, especially in places like Sweden.

Basically your statement here comes closest to my view: "To a certain extent, anything that ends up filling the role that has traditionally been filled by religion throughout human history DOES, to a certain extent, become a religion."

But I think we may seen an expansion of institutions filling that role in the future which are very different from the major religions which have been dominant over the last couple thousand years.

I'd say our area of disagreement remains largely in the realm of whether or not you accept that cultural morality always stems from religious roots.

I mostly agree with this statement, although I think there are a couple of areas where we might interpret it differently. The first, the scope of the definition of religion, we've already discussed. The second is the logical implications of the word "always" (Ding on the other hand said "only").

Minimally, if "always" refers only to the historical record then I think that statement is true almost regardless of the definition used and I wouldn't quibble too much about some of the nuances in Buddhism or Confucianism or whatever else.

On the other hand, if it's supposed to imply some logical necessity which constrains what features "religions" might have in future cultures, then I think it's much weaker, depending on the definition of religion used. If it's taken to necessarily imply supernaturalism then I think that's wrong as a matter of necessity, although I expect a majority of humans to hold supernatural views into the foreseeable future, maybe even for as long as there are humans. But while it is true for example that many important values in European society developed within a Christian context, it's also true that the enlightenment values which shaped modern European societies are secular in ways which differ dramatically from the Byzantine empire or medieval Europe, and the trend in most of Europe is towards a far less "religious" kind of cultural Christianity, especially in places like Sweden.

Basically your statement here comes closest to my view: "To a certain extent, anything that ends up filling the role that has traditionally been filled by religion throughout human history DOES, to a certain extent, become a religion."

But I think we may seen an expansion of institutions filling that role in the future which are very different from the major religions which have been dominant over the last couple thousand years.

Yes, well, that brings us to the question of whether or not things which are far less like religion than Confucianism is, and which have filled the place - if not precisely the role - of religion, are as effective or desirable in that place. And because filling that place certainly does mean that they will also end up defining cultural morality, the assessment of their efficacy and desirability will hinge largely on the quality and effectiveness of the cultural morality they define.

Forum List

Back