Should religion be eliminated

Should religion be eliminated?

• Yes

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 85.4%

• Total voters
Should we let it die on it's own? That's another question best answered after We, The People stop propping it up with tax favors

I didn't know we were keeping it alive.

I'm for eliminating all deductions including charitable and for a flat tax that is based on balancing the budget. That ought to get the talking monkey's attention. The churches will be fine.
Our town's little church that has been around since the 1830's can barely pay the minister and keep oil in the furnace. A tax and the nix on charitable deductions would completely wipe out our church. I have a feeling ours wouldn't be the only one.
So you're saying that only poor people (or is it cheap people?) go to church?

No, she's saying that taxing churches, which by definition are non-profit, would end up wiping many churches out of existence.
I don't think it would. I don't think people understand that gifts are not taxable unless they are over a certain amount.

The reality is that people would no longer receive a deduction for their charitable contribution. I don't think that would make them stop giving.

But if it did, that would only cause the government to give more. So in the end, the government would be paying 100% of the "charity" instead of giving a tax break on say 20% of the charity.

I think it is an emotional thing. They hate religion so much they can't look at it analytically.
Churches would pay taxes too, just like a company does.

Because you’re a weak individual.
Apparently. But now I am strong. :)
No, you’re still a weenie who need a religion crutch.

And you're still an emotional cripple trying to make yourself be something you can't be, are not designed by nature to be. Again, you have my sympathy, because you are so much less than you could be, and you can't even see it.
Ya, because insulting people randomly gives you strength?
You are the pot calling the kettle black. You just use a thin veil.
Says the king pot himself. :lol:

Evolution will doom religion.
That's doubtful. Faith / religion offers functional advantages that atheism does not.

And it is functional advantage which drives evolution.

Like I said in my previous post, it's not always a straight line.

You are a linear thinker in a cyclical universe.
As humans evolve to be smarter, they are abandoning organized religion. It's a fact.
I'm not convinced it's a fact. Besides, it's a huge reservoir and that doesn't mean they are abandoning God.

They are still accountable to a god if they believe one exists especially if they believe in heaven and hell.
If no God exists, then there is no accountability to God. Do you agree with this logic?

So their belief that God exists - in and of itself - does not make them accountable. Do you agree with this logic?

So maybe you are trying to say something else.
Why would one have to be accountable to god?

If God exists, then one would be accountable to Him because He made the universe and everything in it, including you.

Therefore, the post is saying that people choose not to believe in God because they do not wish to be accountable for their actions.
Where is the proof that we are accountable to an invisible being?
It is inside you. That's why you believe so strongly about justice.
Justice is subjective, people want it for personal reasons. So not pointing all in the same direction to an invisible being who cares that we follow a book or not.

Apparently. But now I am strong. :)
No, you’re still a weenie who need a religion crutch.

And you're still an emotional cripple trying to make yourself be something you can't be, are not designed by nature to be. Again, you have my sympathy, because you are so much less than you could be, and you can't even see it.
Ya, because insulting people randomly gives you strength?
You are the pot calling the kettle black. You just use a thin veil.
Says the king pot himself. :lol:
That;s your opinion. I'm happy enough for you to have it too.

We live in a logical universe where causes have effects. Everything is choice. At any point in your life you are the sum of your choices.

If no God exists, then there is no accountability to God. Do you agree with this logic?

So their belief that God exists - in and of itself - does not make them accountable. Do you agree with this logic?

If God exists, then one would be accountable to Him because He made the universe and everything in it, including you.

Therefore, the post is saying that people choose not to believe in God because they do not wish to be accountable for their actions.
Justice is subjective, people want it for personal reasons. So not pointing all in the same direction to an invisible being who cares that we follow a book or not.
No. Everyone seeks justice. It doesn't matter how they see it. The fact that they all seek it tells you it is a matrix condition.

Because a generic god doesn’t care what u do? That’s true
I don’t know what you mean by generic. I believe all people pray to the same God. Logically there is only one. They may have a different perception of who God is and I don’t see anything wrong with that. I believe our Founding Fathers got that part right.

In the context of what you are discussing the question is whether God is a personal or impersonal God. For all our sakes I pray he is a personal God.

Just because there's only one God doesn't mean everyone is automatically praying to him.
How do you know there's only one god?
Logic, reason and experience.

How do you know there's not?
I'm saying that we don't know if it's zero gods, 1, or more... You pretend to know, but only have your bastardized versions of logic, reason and experience. Not real proof.

I'm for eliminating all deductions including charitable and for a flat tax that is based on balancing the budget. That ought to get the talking monkey's attention. The churches will be fine.
Our town's little church that has been around since the 1830's can barely pay the minister and keep oil in the furnace. A tax and the nix on charitable deductions would completely wipe out our church. I have a feeling ours wouldn't be the only one.

No, she's saying that taxing churches, which by definition are non-profit, would end up wiping many churches out of existence.
I don't think it would. I don't think people understand that gifts are not taxable unless they are over a certain amount.

The reality is that people would no longer receive a deduction for their charitable contribution. I don't think that would make them stop giving.

But if it did, that would only cause the government to give more. So in the end, the government would be paying 100% of the "charity" instead of giving a tax break on say 20% of the charity.

I think it is an emotional thing. They hate religion so much they can't look at it analytically.
Not on gifts under the threshold, dipshit.

So nobody goes to churches so they're closing even with tax exempt status. Good plan.
Only time will tell, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Would it make you sad if they didn't?
I'd be sad that the human race is staying dumb.

I don’t believe it would. There is no tax on gifts less than 10k. People would still give.

Yeah, but taxing the church would have the result that the church wouldn't get to keep what they give.

And if people couldn't deduct it on their taxes as a charitable donation, some wouldn't give, or would give less.
Churches need to save up for the inevitable sex crime payouts.
You should read the John Jay report.
You need to explain why and provide a link.

The fact that these militant atheists don't know simple tax laws is a sign of their level of education.

I don’t believe it would. There is no tax on gifts less than 10k. People would still give.

Yeah, but taxing the church would have the result that the church wouldn't get to keep what they give.

And if people couldn't deduct it on their taxes as a charitable donation, some wouldn't give, or would give less.
I couldn't care less if you remain ignorant.

So nobody goes to churches so they're closing even with tax exempt status. Good plan.
Only time will tell, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Would it make you sad if they didn't?
I'd be sad that the human race is staying dumb.
That is your opinion. The reality is that natural selection sees it the other way.

That's doubtful. Faith / religion offers functional advantages that atheism does not.

As humans evolve to be smarter, they are abandoning organized religion. It's a fact.
I'm not convinced it's a fact. Besides, it's a huge reservoir and that doesn't mean they are abandoning God.
They are abandoning religion.

Because a generic god doesn’t care what u do? That’s true
I don’t know what you mean by generic. I believe all people pray to the same God. Logically there is only one. They may have a different perception of who God is and I don’t see anything wrong with that. I believe our Founding Fathers got that part right.

In the context of what you are discussing the question is whether God is a personal or impersonal God. For all our sakes I pray he is a personal God.

Just because there's only one God doesn't mean everyone is automatically praying to him.
How do you know there's only one god?
Logic, reason and experience.

How do you know there's not?
I'm saying that we don't know if it's zero gods, 1, or more... You pretend to know, but only have your bastardized versions of logic, reason and experience. Not real proof.
I know what you are saying, but logic is not your strong suit. You don't even know that charitable gifts under the threshold are tax free.

No. Everyone seeks justice. It doesn't matter how they see it. The fact that they all seek it tells you it is a matrix condition.
It's an evolutionary trait for survival. Not pointing to a god who cares if we follow a book or not.

They are abandoning religion.
Let me reiterate... I'm not convinced it's a fact. Besides, it's a huge reservoir and that doesn't mean they are abandoning God.

Not on gifts under the threshold, dipshit.
I'm just saying that they should. Just like any other company.

I couldn't care less if you remain ignorant.
You're such a jackass, lol. Constantly making a point but not backing it up. Imbecile.

It's an evolutionary trait for survival. Not pointing to a god who cares if we follow a book or not.
It's one in the same. Successful behaviors lead to success and failed behaviors lead to failure. Virtuous behaviors are successful behaviors. Behaviors devoid of virtue are failed behaviors.

Forum List

Back