CDZ Should Tasers be replaced with sedative dart guns?

Tasers have a long history of poor performance in controlling people in arrest situations. They are clumsy to use, the probes very often bounce off the intended target, sometimes they aren't charged properly, and sometimes the dude is just too big. Why not use a sedative dart gun preloaded with a safe but strong sedative? Shoot the resistant person and if he runs, let him run. He'll be sleeping within a minute or so. That just seems to be a much better alternative than Tasers that continue to fail Cops who need every advantage these days.
Interesting idea.

Tasers have a long history of poor performance in controlling people in arrest situations. They are clumsy to use, the probes very often bounce off the intended target, sometimes they aren't charged properly, and sometimes the dude is just too big. Why not use a sedative dart gun preloaded with a safe but strong sedative? Shoot the resistant person and if he runs, let him run. He'll be sleeping within a minute or so. That just seems to be a much better alternative than Tasers that continue to fail Cops who need every advantage these days.
Hell yeah they should,taser it should never be allowed no matter what the circumstance is.

You couldn't use them because you can't accurately dose the darts.....one dart that will barely make a 6 foot tall thug woozy will kill a 5'6" person.......

The ones that cause a reaction fast enough would have some people dropping dead like flies on pest control commercial.
Why do they need to react fast? Let em run, just like they do large animals on the African plain. If he runs for a minute or two he won't get far before he dozes off.
Could be dangerous. If you are wanting to control, it needs to control quick or they will still end up trying to hold down and restrain and we will be in the same place we are now.

Appropriate. Works with gorillas

Overwhelming force...

1598409971840.png

According to the report I just saw on Jacob Blake, he is the latest example of a taser gun that failed to do anything. The Cops need a better non lethal weapon.

A policy of not responding as fast would be the prudent procedure to take. Let the event happen and clean it up after. Do not become part of the event. The men and women who live there and want police protection need to stand up and say it. It may be difficult for them because of the potential push back by some. They will have support by many.

A policy of not responding as fast would be the prudent procedure to take. Let the event happen and clean it up after. Do not become part of the event. The men and women who live there and want police protection need to stand up and say it. It may be difficult for them because of the potential push back by some. They will have support by many.
I see that, but in the case of Jacob Blake for example what should they have done? Sit in their squad cars and wait for him to do something crazy? I don't know, I really think the cops need something else. I'm convinced reading the various posts that a sedative gun isn't going to be much of an improvement. But what about a concussion round that makes a big BOOM and incapacitates the guy? Or a swarm of mini drones? C'mon y'all we're smart there has to be a reliable non-lethal weapon Cops can use!

As of today, there isn't a known drug or drug combination that would be quick and reliable and not pose a great risk of side effects or overdose.

TASERS have a really good track record when it comes to being non-lethal. As of the last time I heard, there hadn't been a single recorded case in the US of a death due solely to the CED.

Officers have an array of options available to them today. Spray, baton, CED, and a gun.

The most effective option a police officer has, and is used 99% of the time, is his or her tactical communications.

Policing is all about communications.
There are a number of recent high profile incidents where tasers failed and gun shots followed. If you can safely sedate a rhino you can safely sedate a human.
So, you think it takes the same amount of sedative to knock out a 100 pound woman as a 300 pound man?

I am a big guy! 5 foot 11, 215 pounds. My son-in-law is a firefighter who is 6 foot 7, 270 pounds of pure muscle. Shooting both of us with a sedative dart might knock my ass out, but it would just make him pissed off!

As of today, there isn't a known drug or drug combination that would be quick and reliable and not pose a great risk of side effects or overdose.

TASERS have a really good track record when it comes to being non-lethal. As of the last time I heard, there hadn't been a single recorded case in the US of a death due solely to the CED.

Officers have an array of options available to them today. Spray, baton, CED, and a gun.

The most effective option a police officer has, and is used 99% of the time, is his or her tactical communications.

There are a number of recent high profile incidents where tasers failed and gun shots followed. If you can safely sedate a rhino you can safely sedate a human.
So, you think it takes the same amount of sedative to knock out a 100 pound woman as a 300 pound man?

I am a big guy! 5 foot 11, 215 pounds. My son-in-law is a firefighter who is 6 foot 7, 270 pounds of pure muscle. Shooting both of us with a sedative dart might knock my ass out, but it would just make him pissed off!
After reading the responses I agree sedative darts would have problems. I've read about non-lethal guns that fire large rounds that don't penetrate but have knock down power. There has to be something better than tasers at incapacitating without killing.

I see that, but in the case of Jacob Blake for example what should they have done? Sit in their squad cars and wait for him to do something crazy? I don't know, I really think the cops need something else. I'm convinced reading the various posts that a sedative gun isn't going to be much of an improvement. But what about a concussion round that makes a big BOOM and incapacitates the guy? Or a swarm of mini drones? C'mon y'all we're smart there has to be a reliable non-lethal weapon Cops can use!
An ide would be some form of "knockout gas". But would it affect other people around the perp including the cops.

The ones that cause a reaction fast enough would have some people dropping dead like flies on pest control commercial.
Why do they need to react fast? Let em run, just like they do large animals on the African plain. If he runs for a minute or two he won't get far before he dozes off.

Because the person could be running AT the police officer, or attack someone else along the way.

Most people have seen the video of the police officer who had to clear a jam while some nut with a knife came at her, the bullets didn't faze him for 5-6 seconds.

A tranq shot would take even longer, and you wouldn't be sure if it went into a person or just their clothing.

After reading the responses I agree sedative darts would have problems. I've read about non-lethal guns that fire large rounds that don't penetrate but have knock down power. There has to be something better than tasers at incapacitating without killing.

Electricity is quick and works on most people. With blunt force trauma projectiles you still run the risk of killing the person due to shock. Ironically electrical shock is far more controllable and temporary.

You have the same issue with a 9mm projectile sometimes.

T
An ide would be some form of "knockout gas". But would it affect other people around the perp including the cops.

That was tried in Russia years ago during a hostage situation, it killed way too many hostages.

Go back to the days that if you commit a crime then you are executed, that they hung people for stealing horses and cows. After a few of these events are shown on TV you can bet that crime would go down....

Forum List

Back