🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should there be mandatory training before you can purchase a firearm?

...Just one problem with your stance... militia members were, at the time the 2nd was written, between the ages of 16-45, able bodied, and male. I'm over 45, not as able bodied as I once was. I'm not 'qualified' to belong to a militia. Should I give up my firearms?
Easy to deal with...

A militia of last resort... a militia of all the cizenry... involves every living, breathing soul; some more fit for duty than others; even a bedridden, dying old lady.

Don't believe me?

Just ask the British.

Those who could still move-about and function were expected to report to the Home Guard in the event of a German invasion.

But every citizen was expected to fight the invaders to the best of his or her ability... "Take one with you" ...said Winston Churchill, eh?

Or just ask the Germans.

Those who could still move about and function were expected to report to the Volksturm in the event of an Allied invasion.

But every citizen was expected to fight the invaders to the best of his or her ability, according to Goebbels... eh?

Or just ask the Russians.

Those who could still move about and function were expected to report to Worker's Battalions or Labor Battalions in the event of German invasion.

But every citizen was expected to fight the invaders to the best of his or her ability, according to the Stalin, eh?

If the United States ever faces a similar predicament, the citizenry will be mobilized in much the same way.

The better armed and disciplined the Militia of the Citizenry, the more likely it is that the Militia will prove useful in defense of the Republic.

A Juicy Rationalization of the First Order.

Just what is needed, to shift the Nation to nationwide firearms ownership standards.
Just ask the British.
We aren't the British, nor are we the Germans, or Russians.

Do a little research on who was allowed to join the Militia when the Second was passed.

able bodied men, ages 16-45.

Stop using the laws, and opinions, of other countries to try to usurp ours.

(Makes you look silly)

These Moon Bats look silly and stupid raising the militia issue when the Heller case put it to bed.

It is like they are in denial of what the Supreme Court said.

Think about it. This is not a gun rights issue. It all about safety. Would you really want your neighbor having a gun and no clue how to use it safely, or even hit what he's aiming at? We require drivers to take a driving test and get a license. Why should guns be any different?

BTW, I am totally pro 2nd amendment. I just want the ones who own those guns to know what they are doing.

What will happen is places will make the class cost $400 and make you wait 2-3 months to take it after scheduling said class.

You simply can't trust a gun control nut.
You could volunteer to pay for it for people Who can't afford it.

Why?

Why not just not do it?

Think about it. This is not a gun rights issue. It all about safety. Would you really want your neighbor having a gun and no clue how to use it safely, or even hit what he's aiming at? We require drivers to take a driving test and get a license. Why should guns be any different?

BTW, I am totally pro 2nd amendment. I just want the ones who own those guns to know what they are doing.

What will happen is places will make the class cost $400 and make you wait 2-3 months to take it after scheduling said class.

Sounds reasonable to me. If the class costs that much, there will be plenty of certified teachers to teach the class. I see that you do not trust capitalism. That is capitalisms glory, the ability to fill a profitable void quickly.

It wouldn't be capitalism. In NYC they would say only the NYPD can give the class, and well we just don't have any room in the classes until next summer...

What about the concealed carry permits already being issued? In Florida they require a basic working knowledge of pistols versus revolvers and a lot of common sense discussion, a trip to the firing range so that you can get a feel for it and then a pretty extensive background check.

What if we had a rule that a CC permit was required to buy an AR-15?

What I want is a nationally recognized CC permit so I can buy guns in other states without hassle and travel without the extra worry of differing state laws.

`

CCW's are different in most States. And those States are places that are 100% OK with civilian CCW.

In places like NYC you can't get a CCW permit unless you show need, are rich, or are a cop or retired cop.

Blue States are fighting National CCW recirprocity.

and good luck trying to concealed carry an AR-15 on your person.

...Maybe why we are at it we can strike down Brown v Board and Roe v Wade. Until then we still have Negroes going to White schools and children being murdered on demand. Until you asshole Liberals get the power to change the Supreme Court the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right. Live with it.
Now, now... temper, temper... don't much care for the idea of a SCOTUS revisiting such case law, do you? We must be on the right track, then.

I don't trust the courts with my Liberties anymore than I trust a politician. They may make the right choice today and the wrong choice tomorrow. Being elected as a judge or appointed as a judge does not mean they are going to do the right thing. Bad judges are elected and appointed just like bad politicians.

The Second Amendment suppose to be the guarantor of our rights, not the courts or the legislature or anything else.

The first thing an oppressive government will do is find a way to take the right to keep and bear arms away from the people. That is what we are seeing in this country now.

[

I simply don't trust the local governments that would end up implementing this to be fair about it.

They will MAKE it difficult, then you would have to sue, and the local courts would side the with local governments.

Correct. We simply can't trust the government with our rights. That is why we have a Bill of Rights. It is a list of rights the government can't infringe. Qualifications, bannings, backgrounds checks and other government permissions are big time infringements.

What level of proficiency would be required? Disassemble the weapon blindfolded, reassemble it? If you asked a thousand people, you would probably get a thousand answers. Some swear the trick is monthly or more often trips to a range. Others have argued that shooting situations won’t happen in range like environments so going to one is not only a waste, but bad.

That is the problem when you start discussing such things. If you have a simple one hour firearm safety class, where the person is taught to load, unload, and keep the firearm pointed ina safe direction, then what? The guy learns about a semiautomatic pistol, and buys a revolver. Another class? The guy switches from a Beretta to a Glock. Now he has to have a class to learn that this pistol does not have a safety.

Or are you going to have them all demonstrate proficiency with every kind of weapon?

Using your drivers example above, the new driver would have to pass everything from a motorcycle to an eighteen wheeler with double or triple tank trailers. Or they would need classes and testing for every kind of weapon. Going from a Remington bolt action to a Mossburg pump action shotgun? Another class for you.

If I do not have a license to drive. I can still operate a vehicle on private property. The car need not be registered either. We require licenses for when you operate on public roads. Or are you suggesting that everyone who has or buys a gun be licensed to carry concealed in public?

Why?

Why not just not do it?
What about all of that "personal responsibility" crap you guys spew when we talk about important stuff like healthcare?

Why?

Why not just not do it?
What about all of that "personal responsibility" crap you guys spew when we talk about important stuff like healthcare?

You are not making sense. Why should I have to pay an additional $400 for a training class to exercise a right?

How about we make people take classes to vote?

Quit whining. We both know that's not how it would be.

Then why does a background check in NYC take 3-6 months simply to get a handgun permit for home use?

Why does it cost up to $600 for that background check?

I don't have any idea what goes on in New your, and don't really care. I'm talking about federal gun laws goober.

Then why does a background check in NYC take 3-6 months simply to get a handgun permit for home use?

I don't have any idea what goes on in New your, and don't really care. I'm talking about federal gun laws goober.

Figures you would dodge the actual facts of the matter.

Again, Its an example of how any government that hates armed citizens will use laws like this to make it as hard as possible for anyone to get a firearm.

except of course people they like, or who are rich, or who are government actors.

Dude, you are looking for a solution to a non existent problem.

Most gun deaths are the result of:

A. Criminal activity. And if you think criminals give a rip about laws, then I can’t help ya Son.

B. Suicide. If someone is hellbent on killing themselves, you think that training will stop them? Really?

C. The rest have almost zero statistical relevance. And even with these, you would save only a insignificant number that it’s nearly zero.

Thanks
So, you're saying my sisters death is not statistically relevant? It's relevant to me. It's relevant to her mother, her father, her brother and sisters, aunts and uncles, cousins. The simple fact is that hundreds of people die each year due to carelessness with guns. Proper training would reduce that number. If it saved just a single life, it would be worth it. It might have saved my sisters life.

I ask, again. Why would anyone have a problem with demonstrating basic safety and competency, before buying a firearm?

So we don't require doctors to demonstrate basic safety and competency but how many people do they kill by making errors in medication?
We only require a college degree. I wasn’t thinking the gun education to be that extensive, more in the line of... well a drivers license?

Yet people with medical licenses and drivers licenses kill about 43 times the number of people with guns. Sounds to me like you don't have your priorities straight if you're really interested in saving lives.

That wasn’t a valid comparison now, was it?

That cars driven by trained people hurt more people than guns used by untrained people isn’t the question.

It’s not about anti cars, doctors or guns. It’s about education before use. If you don’t think such an education would have any effect, well that’s an argument I can understand.

If anything, the effect this proposed training would do, would be to make killers more effective. Or more probable, have zero affect

Criminals won’t care

Suicidal individuals will have more training on the tool they choose to use to kill themselves

That is 99% of all killing anyway

The rest, accidental? Training MAY stop a tiny percentage of that, but careless people are by nature, careless. Just look at the death rate attributed to drinking and driving or texting and driving.

I see no evidence that this proposal solves anything. It is a solution in search of a problem.

Again, Its an example of how any government that hates armed citizens will use laws like this to make it as hard as possible for anyone to get a firearm.

except of course people they like, or who are rich, or who are government actors.

Yes, the federal government is out to get you personally, so they made the state government of New York change their gun laws just to inconvenience you. Who wouldn't recognize that? How dastardly of them.

Yes, the federal government is out to get you personally, so they made the state government of New York change their gun laws just to inconvenience you. Who wouldn't recognize that? How dastardly of them.

it's government in general, and NYC's laws are what progressives see as the next logical step before they ban private gun ownership entirely.

What i am trying to say, is that any federal law requiring training would be bastardized by any local government that hates private gun ownership to make it as restrictive, expensive and tedious as possible. Not in the interest of safety, but because they don't believe private citizens should have guns.

Did I spell it out enough for you, mouth breather?

It's just something I'm not going to do, because you have no right to demand it.

Let's not get overly dramatic, OK? I haven't demanded anything to begin with however if the government made this the law then yeah..you'll fucking do it if you want a gun.

But the criminals won’t.

And you solved nothing

Except looking like a pinhead.........

Again

It's not really about criminals, but you go ahead with that.

So you want to impose your will on law abiding citizens and not criminals, talk about screwed up priorities.

You must stare at your drivers license and feel imposed on.

Why?, it’s only required when driving on tax payer funded roads.

I would agree that if I choose to shoot at a publicly funded shooting range, my gun should be registered, that I be licensed, and that I carry insurance.

Just like a car

There is a proposal on the table (read the OP) and then tell us the tremendous saving of life’s it saves.

I’ve outlined how ineffective it would be.

You?

it's government in general, and NYC's laws are what progressives see as the next logical step before they ban private gun ownership entirely.

What i am trying to say, is that any federal law requiring training would be bastardized by any local government that hates private gun ownership to make it as restrictive, expensive and tedious as possible. Not in the interest of safety, but because they don't believe private citizens should have guns.

Did I spell it out enough for you, mouth breather?

You were very clear in articulating your twisted, childish opinion. We're talking federal law goober. If you don't like New York State law, you should move, or elect someone who is a gun nut like you. The citizens of New York don't seem to want gun nuts running their government.

There should be mandatory psychological testing: 50% of our current gunnuts would be eliminated.
The Same could be said with your logic.
WTF is that supposed to mean? Your statement is completely illogical: there is no sense in it.

Based on the things I've been reading on these message boards, the posts of pro-gun people, they have obvious psychological problems, and I imagine the reason they don't want to do a psychological test before they are handed a gun is because they fear, and rightly so, they will fail the test. To many itchy fingers, too many having wet dreams hoping someone will break into their house so they can blow them away. Yep. A whole lot of very sick puppies.
Your logic is to impose your set of values on law abiding citizens because of criminal actions of others.............Your logic is flawed and your mindset and opinions are your own..............

Kind of like punishing the cows for the actions of a Coyote raiding the hen house.................Our castrating a neighbor of a rapist for the crimes of a rapist.

You want to ENFORCE YOUR VALUES ON OTHERS.............who don't agree with you.........and we will resist you until hell freezes over.
Your logic doesn't work AT ALL. If your logic worked, we would have no laws and no regulations AT ALL. I don't drive drunk or recklessly, but there are laws against doing so. Why am I punished for what others do? Why do I need to buy liability insurance? I don't steal. Why are there laws against doing so? Why are there laws against cheating on taxes: I don't cheat on my taxes. Why am I punished for what others do?

Your logic is the same as a young child's.

Forum List

Back