🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should there be mandatory training before you can purchase a firearm?

Think about it. This is not a gun rights issue. It all about safety. Would you really want your neighbor having a gun and no clue how to use it safely, or even hit what he's aiming at? We require drivers to take a driving test and get a license. Why should guns be any different?

BTW, I am totally pro 2nd amendment. I just want the ones who own those guns to know what they are doing.

Are there training requirements for any of the other enumerated rights in the Constitution?

btn_find.gif

yes_6.jpg

...If you want driver's licenses and gun ownership on a par, legally, you'd need a Constitutional amendment repealing the second. Driver's licenses are not a Constitutionally protected right. Gun ownership is.
Not really.

Otherwise, individual States would not be able to require Firearms Owner Identification Cards, nor to limit automatic weapons.

But if you want to play that game... fine.

The entire citizenry of the United States constitutes a Militia Of The Whole or militia of last resort in defense of the Republic.

Licensing, registration, training, etc., then become the regulating - well - of that militia... not an infringement, but a Constitutional obligation.

Whatever it takes, to establish Federal standards for such things.
Licensing, registration, training, etc., then become the regulating - well - of that militia...

Too bad they gave the Right to keep and bear arms to the people instead of the Militia, isn't it?

^^^ some of the old vets down the AL & VFW are more than happy to take the kids out to the range.....~S~

What will happen is places will make the class cost $400 and make you wait 2-3 months to take it after scheduling said class.

You simply can't trust a gun control nut.

Geez, I would hope they'd spend more than $400 bucks training you.

...If you want driver's licenses and gun ownership on a par, legally, you'd need a Constitutional amendment repealing the second. Driver's licenses are not a Constitutionally protected right. Gun ownership is.
Not really.

Otherwise, individual States would not be able to require Firearms Owner Identification Cards, nor to limit automatic weapons.

The entire citizenry of the United States constitutes a Militia Of The Whole or militia of last resort in defense of the Republic.

Licensing, registration, training, etc., then become the regulating - well - of that militia... not an infringement, but a Constitutional obligation.

Licensing, registration, training, etc., then become the regulating - well - of that militia...

Too bad they gave the Right to keep and bear arms to the people instead of the Militia, isn't it?
The reason why The People have the right to bear arms is because they are intended to be part of a well-regulated militia - an informal militia of last resort.

It's there for all to see in the precise verbiage of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution; embedded in our Bill of Rights.

This is merely a matter of regulating - well - the weaponry in the possession of that militia of last resort - the common citizenry - outside the realm of the National Guard.

The responsibilities to be imposed upon Gun Owners are merely the well-regulation of the Militia As A Whole that is implicit in the Second Amendment.

And now the time is coming where the Republic will finally begin that long-deferred regulation - doing it "well" .

Enjoy.

---------------------

It's all a matter of interpretation, and whether it can be made to "stick" in a political decision-making climate that becomes friendly to the idea of such regulation.

The preceding Juicy Rationalization was provided to illustrate just how easy it is to spin a controversial provision of the Constitution in the interests of Public Safety.

Next slide, please.

Last edited:
Methinks that term 'militia' has been kicked around by the SCOTUS a lot Kondor....

~S~

Methinks that term 'militia' has been kicked around by the SCOTUS a lot Kondor....

~S~
And it is going to be kicked around some more, in the coming years, isn't it?

Yesteday's SCOTUS interpretations can always be overturned by tomorrow's Court, eh?

Example: SCOTUS findings on Slavery; ante bellum vs. post-rebellion.

$hit happens... things change... times change... so do solutions to evolving dangers and perceptions.

Not really.

The reason why The People have the right to bear arms is because they are intended to be part of a well-regulated militia - an informal militia of last resort.

It's there for all to see in the precise verbiage of the Second Amendment to the US Constitution; embedded in our Bill of Rights.

This is merely a matter of regulating - well - the weaponry in the possession of that militia of last resort - the common citizenry - outside the realm of the National Guard.

The responsibilities to be imposed upon Gun Owners are merely the well-regulation of the Militia As A Whole that is implicit in the Second Amendment.

And now the time is coming where the Republic will finally begin that long-deferred regulation - doing it "well" .

Enjoy.

---------------------

It's all a matter of interpretation, and whether it can be made to "stick" in a political decision-making climate that becomes friendly to the idea of such regulation.

The preceding Juicy Rationalization was provided to illustrate just how easy it is to spin a controversial provision of the Constitution in the interests of Public Safety.

Next slide, please.

Just one problem with your stance...

militia members were, at the time the 2nd was written, between the ages of 16-45, able bodied, and male.

I'm over 45, not as able bodied as I once was.

I'm not 'qualified' to belong to a militia.

Should I give up my firearms?

Think about it. This is not a gun rights issue. It all about safety. Would you really want your neighbor having a gun and no clue how to use it safely, or even hit what he's aiming at? We require drivers to take a driving test and get a license. Why should guns be any different?

BTW, I am totally pro 2nd amendment. I just want the ones who own those guns to know what they are doing.

I have no problem with training. The NRA offers a fabulous set of training videos on DVD. Make an expert out of you. But as guns are a god-given right, so should be the training. Every American by dint of his tax dollars should have a portion of that go into government-paid guns and training. You should get tax credits for added training. Kids ought to get college credit for gun training. Time to put down their idiot-cellphones and start learning firearm skills and discipline. Time to build a stronger, safer, better-prepared America with disciplined, moral, responsible people again instead of all of the sick, pathetic, weenie psychos the Left has produced!

Where is the right no to be armed and not be punished for that right?

Hell no.

...Just one problem with your stance... militia members were, at the time the 2nd was written, between the ages of 16-45, able bodied, and male. I'm over 45, not as able bodied as I once was. I'm not 'qualified' to belong to a militia. Should I give up my firearms?
Easy to deal with...

A militia of last resort... a militia of all the cizenry... involves every living, breathing soul; some more fit for duty than others; even a bedridden, dying old lady.

Don't believe me?

Just ask the British.

Those who could still move-about and function were expected to report to the Home Guard in the event of a German invasion.

But every citizen was expected to fight the invaders to the best of his or her ability... "Take one with you" ...said Winston Churchill, eh?

Or just ask the Germans.

Those who could still move about and function were expected to report to the Volksturm in the event of an Allied invasion.

But every citizen was expected to fight the invaders to the best of his or her ability, according to Goebbels... eh?

Or just ask the Russians.

Those who could still move about and function were expected to report to Worker's Battalions or Labor Battalions in the event of German invasion.

But every citizen was expected to fight the invaders to the best of his or her ability, according to the Stalin, eh?

If the United States ever faces a similar predicament, the citizenry will be mobilized in much the same way.

The better armed and disciplined the Militia of the Citizenry, the more likely it is that the Militia will prove useful in defense of the Republic.

A Juicy Rationalization of the First Order.

Just what is needed, to shift the Nation to nationwide firearms ownership standards.

...Many states have requirements for Hunter Safety courses for getting a hunting license.......and MOST TRAINING is done by the EVIL NRA.......OMFG.
SOME States.

Not ALL.

Wake me up when you hit the ALL States mark, and when it's mandatory, not voluntary, across the board; consistent from one jurisdiction to the next.

All the well-intended mild regulation in the world, - within a given State - does little good, if you can drive across the State line and get your stuff without all that.

Or order it over the Internet or pick it up at a Gun Show, without all that "silly fuss".

--------------------------

Oh, and, by the way...

It's GREAT that the NRA is doing much or most of such trainings.

Good for them.

That's exactly what they're SUPPOSED to be doing.

Rather than making Vote Whores out of our Elected Officials with their filthy lobbying Blood Money.

Last edited:
That's great.

Now, all you need to do is to establish Federal standards which the States must enforce to the letter, pertaining to Mandatory Gun Training for all owners, and you're golden.
Many states have requirements for Hunter Safety courses for getting a hunting license.......and MOST TRAINING is done by the EVIL NRA.......OMFG.
SOME States.

Not ALL.

Wake me up when you hit the ALL States mark, and when it's mandatory, not voluntary, across the board; consistent from one jurisdiction to the next.

All the well-intended mild regulation in the world, - within a given State - does little good, if you can drive across the State line and get your stuff without all that.

Or order it over the Internet or pick it up at a Gun Show, without all that "silly fuss".
If you want a hunters license it is mandatory in some states.........

But I believe in STATE's Rights..................So how about you decide what's best for your beliefs and we will do the same.........

Alabama Hunting Laws and Regulations | Hunter-ed.com™

Who is required to complete hunter education in Alabama?
According to Alabama law, all hunters born on or after August 1, 1977, must complete hunter education certification in order to buy a hunting license in Alabama.

Must be nice, living in a world that is black and white. All I'm saying is that a gun owner should be able to demonstrate minimum competency with a firearm before owning one. Otherwise, they are a danger to themselves as well as others. These gun safety classes are free. It doesn't cost anything. Simply go to a local gun range, take the class, and get a certificate. How is that any kind of infringement on the 2nd amendment?

Is gun ownership a right? Is driving a right? You just didn't like my answer and yes it's black and white. You cannot infringe on the right to bear arms
Would you give a gun to a small child? No. You wouldn't. Isn't that an infringement on the 2nd amendment? By your reasoning it is. Also, by my reasoning, it is not an infringement to require someone to demonstrate a minimum proficiency and knowledge of gun safety before owning one. I'm not talking about a government agency determining whether you can own a gun or not. This can be done on a local basis. Like I said. Pass a gun safety course and get your gun. If you cannot pass such a test, and it's not difficult to do so, then you should not own a firearm. You call it infringement. I call it public safety. BTW, look up the FBI statistics for accidental shootings. Might change your mind. Every one of those shootings was preventable.

Now you're building straw men....
No. It is not. I lost my sister because some idiot was playing around with his new gun. She was 6 years old. If there had been mandatory gun training, she might still be alive. THAT is not a straw man. It's my reality.

I'm sorry about your sister but you can't force people to take training to own firearms, it's a sound idea but sorry it's an infringement

Honestly, the constitution was written 200 years ago by very well intentioned men and they said it should be modernised periodically... This type of thing shows it to be out dated...

Without training you would been able to load a Musket...

Is gun ownership a right? Is driving a right? You just didn't like my answer and yes it's black and white. You cannot infringe on the right to bear arms
Would you give a gun to a small child? No. You wouldn't. Isn't that an infringement on the 2nd amendment? By your reasoning it is. Also, by my reasoning, it is not an infringement to require someone to demonstrate a minimum proficiency and knowledge of gun safety before owning one. I'm not talking about a government agency determining whether you can own a gun or not. This can be done on a local basis. Like I said. Pass a gun safety course and get your gun. If you cannot pass such a test, and it's not difficult to do so, then you should not own a firearm. You call it infringement. I call it public safety. BTW, look up the FBI statistics for accidental shootings. Might change your mind. Every one of those shootings was preventable.

Now you're building straw men....
No. It is not. I lost my sister because some idiot was playing around with his new gun. She was 6 years old. If there had been mandatory gun training, she might still be alive. THAT is not a straw man. It's my reality.

I'm sorry about your sister but you can't force people to take training to own firearms, it's a sound idea but sorry it's an infringement

Honestly, the constitution was written 200 years ago by very well intentioned men and they said it should be modernised periodically... This type of thing shows it to be out dated...

Without training you would been able to load a Musket...
Load a Musket or a Black Powder 50 Cal........incorrectly and it will kill your ass.

Forum List

Back