Should we Erase Columbus or others from the History Books?

Exactly right. Europeans didn't go into the African interior until the late 19th Century, only coastal outposts were established before then during the African slave trade. Slaves had to be brought to port to be sold to slaveship owners.
Europeans were afraid to go into the African interior to capture slaves. So they set up slave ports where they could just sit and dangle money so others could bring captives to them

Does not absolve them from responsibility for the slave trade.
They were the market

Of course. you do know that a lot of Europeans like the Poles abolished slavery a pretty long time ago.

We got rid of slavery in 1347, should we have to pay reparations?

They should be proud
The other european countries were involved in Colonialism and used slave labor to perform the hard tasks

Most of Europe abandoned slavery by 1800

Took the US til 1865 and the death of 600,000 fighting over it

The real question I'm trying to get to is whether or not Poles should be required to pay reparations for slavery?
Who the fuck cares?

I care, as we have two dozen candidates for President demanding that reparations be paid, and I want to know if my people will be exempt from this atrocity.

They should be proud
The other european countries were involved in Colonialism and used slave labor to perform the hard tasks

The issue of slavery was always contentious and the US nearly never got off the ground as Southern states would not form a union without the right to continue their policies of slavery.

Europeans were afraid to go into the African interior to capture slaves. So they set up slave ports where they could just sit and dangle money so others could bring captives to them

Does not absolve them from responsibility for the slave trade.
They were the market

Of course. you do know that a lot of Europeans like the Poles abolished slavery a pretty long time ago.

They should be proud

The real question I'm trying to get to is whether or not Poles should be required to pay reparations for slavery?
Who the fuck cares?

I care, as we have two dozen candidates for President demanding that reparations be paid, and I want to know if my people will be exempt from this atrocity.

The United States Government would be paying reparations for its support of slavery.......not the Polish Government

There were many large, well organized civilizations with thriving cultures in North and South America prior to the Europeans' arrival. They knew about the wheel--they didn't have suitable animals to domesticate to pull carts, so why make wheeled carts, unless you wanted people to pull them. Easier to just have them carry the stuff.
You know the wheel makes it easier to put things in a cart and roll them along (through the miracle of physics) rather than carrying them...right?

Rolling. From Physclips: Mechanics with animations and film.
These people built massive pyramids. I'm sure they knew about physics.

We really don't know who built the pyramids in Central America. I've heard it may have been extraterrestrials who erected them, or perhaps immigrants for Egypt where the art of pyramid building was well known.
And how did the Egyptians figure it out? It's really not that hard to figure out why the architecture is the same on both continents. To build something really, really massive and tall, like the Empire State building, you need steel. They didn't have that, so they did the next best thing. They piled up stones. It is the only way to make a building that tall that doesn't fall down on you. With what they had to work with, anyway.

Columbus was an agent of the inevitable.

If he hadn't attempted the voyage, another European sailor eventually would have discovered the new world. .... :cool:

Exactly, and they would have raped and pillaged just like Columbus or any other conqueror/explorer would have.

As usual butthurt liberals of today who have had their minds twisted by nutjob professors, look through history with todays politically correct lenses.

You can not view and judge history through the prism of today as the morals, norms, beliefs, practices, etc. were totally different. Progressives today just want to Virtue Signal and make themselves feel enlightened and evolved by removing statues, re-writing history and demonizing those they don't like. It is childish, and narcissistic. They project their own insecurities and character flaws by doing so.

They should be proud

Who the fuck cares?

The United States Government would be paying reparations for its support of slavery.......not the Polish Government

The United States government doesn't have any money, they have to be getting it from the taxpayers, of whom I am one.

Shouldn't they be implementing a levy against the descendants of actual slave owners to collect the money?

There were many large, well organized civilizations with thriving cultures in North and South America prior to the Europeans' arrival. They knew about the wheel--they didn't have suitable animals to domesticate to pull carts, so why make wheeled carts, unless you wanted people to pull them. Easier to just have them carry the stuff.
You know the wheel makes it easier to put things in a cart and roll them along (through the miracle of physics) rather than carrying them...right?

Rolling. From Physclips: Mechanics with animations and film.
These people built massive pyramids. I'm sure they knew about physics.

We really don't know who built the pyramids in Central America. I've heard it may have been extraterrestrials who erected them, or perhaps immigrants for Egypt where the art of pyramid building was well known.
And how did the Egyptians figure it out? It's really not that hard to figure out why the architecture is the same on both continents. To build something really, really massive and tall, like the Empire State building, you need steel. They didn't have that, so they did the next best thing. They piled up stones. It is the only way to make a building that tall that doesn't fall down on you. With what they had to work with, anyway.
Don’t you realize that only alien beings know how to stack stones?

What about building an atomic bomb? Humans could not have figured out something so complex. We must have had aliens helping us. That is why the Manhattan Project was kept so secret

They should be proud

Who the fuck cares?

The United States government doesn't have any money, they have to be getting it from the taxpayers, of whom I am one.

Shouldn't they be implementing a levy against the descendants of actual slave owners to collect the money?

So?
If you are a citizen, you pay taxes. So do blacks

The Death Penalty isn't "human sacrifice".

BTW, most of the civilized world has no problem with punishing murderer appropriately. China, Japan, India, Africa. Countries like the Great Nation of Singapore with give you a singapore style caning first.

Actually, it kind of is Human Sacrifice... We are sacrificing people to the God Deterrence, who really doesn't exist.

Most of the Civilized world doesn't execute people.

The Death Penalty isn't "human sacrifice".

BTW, most of the civilized world has no problem with punishing murderer appropriately. China, Japan, India, Africa. Countries like the Great Nation of Singapore with give you a singapore style caning first.

Actually, it kind of is Human Sacrifice... We are sacrificing people to the God Deterrence, who really doesn't exist.

Most of the Civilized world doesn't execute people.

Its not just deterrence but also punishment for infamous crimes.

So much misinformation. Here's reality:

1. Columbus wasn't trying to prove the earth was round. He was hired to find alternate trade route to Asia. He miscalculated the distance and ended up finding America instead.

Oh, we know that he wasn't trying to prove the world was round, but this is what we teach kids in school and has leaked into the popular culture.

2. Without Africans enslaving other Africans, there would have been no slaves for the Europeans to buy. Blaming Europeans for the slavery that was practiced for millennia before their arrival is a tired canard. England and the U.S. abolished slavery in the 19th century. Their are 40 million slaves living today. Why is that?

I think you are a little confused. Slavery is bad and it's existed for millennia, but the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade boosted it to terrible levels and had a terrible human cost. Tribes went to war to take slaves to feed it.

2. The Americas were already filled with humanitarian disasters including slavery and human sacrifice performed by indigenous peoples. The Aztecs were a death cult. Their population was declining before Cortez showed up due to their own brutality. The Chimus of Peru sacrificed children

Again, at the same time the Aztecs and Chimu were sacrificing people, the Europeans were burning witches and torturing heretics. In fact, the population declined at a much faster rate after the Europeans showed up, brought a bunch of diseases with them and then worked the rest of these folks nearly to death.

Columbus was an agent of the inevitable.

If he hadn't attempted the voyage, another European sailor eventually would have discovered the new world. .... :cool:

Exactly, and they would have raped and pillaged just like Columbus or any other conqueror/explorer would have.

As usual butthurt liberals of today who have had their minds twisted by nutjob professors, look through history with todays politically correct lenses.

You can not view and judge history through the prism of today as the morals, norms, beliefs, practices, etc. were totally different. Progressives today just want to Virtue Signal and make themselves feel enlightened and evolved by removing statues, re-writing history and demonizing those they don't like. It is childish, and narcissistic. They project their own insecurities and character flaws by doing so.
Maybe we just cool it a bit with the celebrating Columbus himself? I dunno. I don't really care much either way. Renaming it Indigenous Peoples Day is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of, though.

So Columbus, like most of the early world explorers was an exploitationist and at times inhumanely cruel. What are the real ethics we are reaching for here? We already knew most of this. Centuries later the celebration of Columbus Day has about as much to do with Christopher Columbus as a cigar store elephant statue has to do with a Wooley mammoth.

Fact is these things actually happened. Not giving them "press" so to speak isn't going to change that fact.

The idea of the Western Hemisphere being located by European culture...the predominant world culture of the time is a pretty big deal.

Really it's irrelevant who Columbus was
Cad, slaver, exploiter.... It's more important to know what role he played in the process of connecting the two hemispheres. As for Columbus Day why bother to change the name? How does that contribute to the factuality or non factuality of its history? Should all of Latin America now reject the Spanish language as racist and abusive?

I'm all for teaching kids the whole story
But I resist the Idea that removing Columbus's name from the day somehow improves us morally. It is quite impossible for us to reach back and correct the wrongs of History...even pretending that we can is foolish.

Jo

Moron. Nobody wants to remove him from the history books. Same with your beloved traitorous generals. Normal people just
don't want murderers and traitors to be held up as heroes.

You claim to want the whole story told.....yet you still want a fucking holiday named after the inhumane asshole. Does not compute.
You are free to live in a teepee.
Darwinian Time Bomb Delayed to 1492

The Indians were an obsolete Stone Age species, similar to the Neanderthals. They were living on borrowed time. They had their chance to evolve when no superior race was there to block their way, but they remained unfit. The whole world, even these savages, benefits by having superior intelligence owning all its resources. So this sympathy for scalpers is instigated by those who control the resources of the High IQs, which revelation is more proof that Liberals are agents of the Right Wing their leaders were born in.

Eric, read the post I put up. Please.
I have and I specifically can't understand why you think a lack of domesticated beasts to pull wagons and carts
makes the lack of wagons and carts in Meso-American cultures understandable.

As long as rolling something is easier than dragging or carrying that thing it remains absolutely inexplicable.

No. You see, here's the thing. While our ancestors might have come in after Slavery, we reaped the benefits of it.

I'm not sure reparations are the answer, but the first step is admitting that a great wrong has been committed. Then we can have the discussion of how to redeem it.

Eric, read the post I put up. Please.
I have and I specifically can't understand why you think a lack of domesticated beasts to pull wagons and carts
makes the lack of wagons and carts in Meso-American cultures understandable.

As long as rolling something is easier than dragging or carrying that thing it remains absolutely inexplicable.
Okay. You'll have to ask the Mayans. To me it makes sense, but not to you.

The colonization of the America by Europe was a humanitarian disaster for the people of the Americas, as well as the millions of Africans who were brought over as slaves. time to own it.
They conquered a continent. And gave you a good life.
JoeBitch is, once again, full of shyte. There are more full blooded Amerindians alive in the Americas than before Columbus landed.

IT is the typical libtarded condescension and arrogance that presumes Amerindians would rather be feeding the bugs somewhere hunting rather than sitting in air conditioned homes sipping a few brews.

Forum List

Back