Sick and tired of US debate on raising the min. wage.

I‘m in my 60s and have heard that same “if we raise minimum wage, people will lose their job “ every time they raised the wage. didn’t happen

You're lying. Every time they raise the minimum wage, some minimum wage workers lose their jobs.
Usually, minimum wage wage increases are statistically insignificant and mostly absorbed by employers who usually don't need to raise prices.
Especially since most of them are paying above minimum wage to begin with.
In my opinion, the minimum wage should be high enough so Labor does not need Big Government nanny-Statism ...
Labor does not need Big Government nanny-Statism. No one does.

If I'm the owner of a business and I'm forced to double the pay of my employees, I can promise you that increase isn't going to come out of my profits. I'm going to raise my prices. So, yeah, if I'm a McDonald's franchisee and I go from having to pay my employees $7.25 an hour to $15, damn right I'm doubling the price of that dollar menu cheeseburger.

And, if people don't buy $2 cheeseburgers, I'll thin my staff, fire people, and lower my prices...
lol. Nobody takes right wingers seriously about economics even if money Talks.

Price inflation won't be more than thirty percent.

I would ask you to support that, but I'm sure your head would explode...

If doubling the minimum wage will cause no harm, why are the proposing to phase it in over four years. Why wait?
Some on the left are advocating for the full price increase now; and, since it is a "good excuse" employers could ask for a tax break to help them deal with it until the multiplier takes effect.
I hear they are asking for an increase to $15 by 2024
Yeah. Why the delay? If the raise would cause no harm, why not go for it all now? Why should the poor people (who will supposedly benefit) have to wait?
Because right wingers seem to "hate it" when the Poor may benefit and they are unwilling to go along with it and ask for a tax break to help with transition to the higher wage.
Uh - huh - don't care.

I don't hate minimum age because the Poor (capitalized??) might benefit. I hate it because it fucks them, and strips of their right to self-determination.

But still - that misses the point. It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that price and wage controls harm the economy. But I continue to see this from an individual rights perspective. If someone wants to take job, for a wage that is below rightwinger's standards, why should that be illegal? Maybe they get something out of the job besides a paycheck - who knows. Point is, it's none of our business what someone else makes. And none fo the government's.

As expected, a deafening silence from the "we know better" crowd.
Because Capitalists can be unscrupulous due to Greed being Good under Capitalism and insist on "slave wages" so all of their employees qualify for means tested welfare to transfer that cost to the tax payer for their bottom line and profit motive.

Capitalize "essences"! Are we in for more stoner poetry too?

If your beef is with welfare, then reduce welfare. But why can't an individual take a job for whatever wage they want? Why should government dictate the matter?
I gave you my opinion in the previous post, which you blithely ignored to repeat your question.

I‘m in my 60s and have heard that same “if we raise minimum wage, people will lose their job “ every time they raised the wage. didn’t happen

You're lying. Every time they raise the minimum wage, some minimum wage workers lose their jobs.
Usually, minimum wage wage increases are statistically insignificant and mostly absorbed by employers who usually don't need to raise prices.
Especially since most of them are paying above minimum wage to begin with.
In my opinion, the minimum wage should be high enough so Labor does not need Big Government nanny-Statism which is more expensive due to the lower multiplier generated by typical Government spending. We could be reducing the Cost of Government by increasing the minimum wage. Not sure why right wingers have any problem with that at all.
So you want to reduce "Big Government nanny-Statism" by imposing more controls by the Federal Government? You're not the sharpest tool in the shed...are you, Daniel! (eye roll)

So, anyone want to tackle this one: Why the delay? If the raise would cause no harm, why not go for it all now? Why should the poor people (who will supposedly benefit) have to wait?

But still - that misses the point. It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that price and wage controls harm the economy. But I continue to see this from an individual rights perspective. If someone wants to take job, for a wage that is below rightwinger's standards, why should that be illegal? Maybe they get something out of the job besides a paycheck - who knows. Point is, it's none of our business what someone else makes. And none fo the government's.

As expected, a deafening silence from the "we know better" crowd.
Because Capitalists can be unscrupulous due to Greed being Good under Capitalism and insist on "slave wages" so all of their employees qualify for means tested welfare to transfer that cost to the tax payer for their bottom line and profit motive.

Capitalize "essences"! Are we in for more stoner poetry too?

If your beef is with welfare, then reduce welfare. But why can't an individual take a job for whatever wage they want? Why should government dictate the matter?
I gave you my opinion in the previous post, which you blithely ignored to repeat your question.

I didn't blithely ignore it. I consciously and deliberately ignored it because it made no fucking sense. Take another toke and try again.

Time for those businesses to start kicking over some of that tax cut to their employees

Perhaps it is.

But it's ignorant to believe that those businesses are simply going to accept it and let it adversely affect their bottom line. They won't. If their costs to do business increase, so will their prices...

Raise it...Go Ahead.....the sooner Biden ruins the job market and brings on another recession the sooner we can expose his destructive ideology....and get America back on the road to MingAGA!!!!
Why would higher paid labor creating more demand and generating more tax revenue cause a recession? Right wingers complained about the weak recovery of the previous democratic administration (due republicans failing to support all of the shovel ready jobs that would have made a difference.)

And Congress has known that - which is why they've never raised it a significant amount.

Go baby! Race to the bottom!

Oh, not you? You don't want that job either? So there's this mythical creature somewhere? That's who you want everyone worried about? That's our "business"?

So, anyone want to tackle this one: Why the delay? If the raise would cause no harm, why not go for it all now? Why should the poor people (who will supposedly benefit) have to wait?
Well that's pretty obvious if you think about it, Dblack! Liberals think they can hide the negative effects of what they're doing if they string it out a little. If poor people were losing jobs in prodigious numbers right after the raise in minimum wage took effect then even the dumb ones like Winger and Daniel might grasp that it's bad policy!

And none of that is relevant to the impact of a sharp and sudden increase in the MW without giving the job market time to adjust. They killed George Washington while trying to cure him. Giving a patient a dose of morphine can allow him to avoid excruciating pain. Give him too much and you kill him. Surely you can see that.
Seems like a good excuse for a tax break for employers until the multiplier kicks in.

And Congress has known that - which is why they've never raised it a significant amount.

If you want to break into a new career, a great way to do it is through an apprenticeship where you are paid little in exchange for invaluable work experience. That should be illegal according to them.
Not if the apprenticeship pays at least fourteen dollars an hour until Labor qualifies for a prevailing market wage.

Go baby! Race to the bottom!

Yep. And if someone else wants to "race to the bottom", where do you get off bullying them???

That's really what this is all about. It has absolutely nothing to do with helping the poor. In fact, it fucks the poorest of the poor by taking away their ability to compete. Minimum wage is a union inspired attempt to thwart competition in the labor market.

And none of that is relevant to the impact of a sharp and sudden increase in the MW without giving the job market time to adjust. They killed George Washington while trying to cure him. Giving a patient a dose of morphine can allow him to avoid excruciating pain. Give him too much and you kill him. Surely you can see that.
Seems like a good excuse for a tax break for employers until the multiplier kicks in.
You don't really have a clue when you're talking about the "multiplier"...do you, Daniel? You just heard from someone that it's a magic thing that fixes bad policy? Nancy Pelosi perhaps? You're the kind of economics challenged individual that she knows will buy the nonsense she's spouting.

Show me where they've EVER raised it this much, Winger!
You are right about the market compensating. It's why you're seeing so many self serve kiosks in places like fast food restaurants and the grocery store. That's the market getting itself ready for higher labor costs.
That is going to happen anyway simply because automation costs are becoming more affordable. And, it makes it easier to help mitigate the effects of any pandemic.

Forum List

Back