Sick and tired of US debate on raising the min. wage.

Minimum wage is a horseshit issue. But, it stirs up the dummies and gives government more power - so it's irresistible to Democrats.
It is a horseshit issue
It should have been raised 10 years ago and future raises should be tied to inflation

You know why it wasn't? Because politicians are afraid of getting voted out of office for fucking up the economy.
Raising minimum wage does not fuk up the economy
Cutting corporate taxes by 40 percent did

Why would companies being able to investment more money into the economy... cause a problem in the economy? That makes no logical sense.

Further, I pretty sure I heard you in the past say that corporations were off shoring jobs out of the country, because labor is cheaper.......... now you are suggesting that increasing the cost of labor could not possibly harm the economy.

Do you not see those two claims are mutually exclusive?

Only those companies did not use the 40 percent tax cut to invest in the economy, they bought back stock

Guess what? The minimum wage worker will invest almost all of that $15 into the economy
And how will the Minimum wage worker that loses his or her job invest the $0 that they will then be making? You don't care about THOSE people though...do you, Winger? The people with few job skills? The young people just starting out? Those are the people that will really be affected by this. You don't give a crap about them though...do you?

I‘m in my 60s and have heard that same “if we raise minimum wage, people will lose their job “ every time they raised the wage. didn’t happen
Market compensates
Sure, and how many times was it doubled overnight?

Never had to wait 12 years for an increase

Employers have benefitted from a frozen minimum wage all that time. They also received a 40 percent tax cut in 2017

We should have demanded a minimum wage increase at that time but Republicans said FUK the workers
Doh! You forgot to answer the question. Try again.

LOL - because it's always been ridiculously low, dumbass. You know, like you've been saying throughout this thread.

I worked minimum wage for five years making $2.10 to $2.35
It wasn‘t ridiculously low. I was able to pay my college tuition working just three months a year.

$7.25 is ridiculously low. it doesn’t approach paying a kids tuition. They have to make up the difference by borrowing money

The price of Tuition has gotten out of hand, not the minimum wage.

The rise in tuition far exceeds the increase in prices for Cadillacs , booze, TV sets, etc.

Not really
Lets look at cars. Min wage workers want to buy a car.

When I made $2.10 an hour (1972) minimum wage, I could buy a new car on six months salary
At $7.25 it would take over a year today

How about gas for that car?
My $2.10 minimum wage would buy 7 gallons of gas
That $7.25 will only buy 3 today

It would take a $14.50 wage to get the buying power I had in 1972

LOL - because it's always been ridiculously low, dumbass. You know, like you've been saying throughout this thread.

It wasn‘t ridiculously low. I was able to pay my college tuition working just three months a year.

$7.25 is ridiculously low. it doesn’t approach paying a kids tuition. They have to make up the difference by borrowing money

The rise in tuition far exceeds the increase in prices for Cadillacs , booze, TV sets, etc.

Not really

When I made $2.10 an hour (1972) minimum wage, I could buy a new car on six months salary

That $7.25 will only buy 3

The federal min wage was $1.60 in 1972 and gasoline was 36 cents a gallon. You over stated the wage tremendously, and understated the price of gas.

If doubling the minimum wage will cause no harm, why are the proposing to phase it in over four years. Why wait?

Not really

Harvard tuition in 1964 was $1760. A new Cadillac cost $6388 the same year, 3 1/2 times what Harvard cost.

In 2021, Harvard tuition is 49,000, Cadillacs start at 36,000, significantly more than the new car.

The cost of college has far outpaced anything, and reining in costs is the key to Student Debt.

But still - that misses the point. It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that price and wage controls harm the economy. But I continue to see this from an individual rights perspective. If someone wants to take job, for a wage that is below rightwinger's standards, why should that be illegal? Maybe they get something out of the job besides a paycheck - who knows. Point is, it's none of our business what someone else makes. And none fo the government's.

As expected, a deafening silence from the "we know better" crowd.

Not really

The federal min wage was $1.60 in 1972 and gasoline was 36 cents a gallon. You over stated the wage tremendously, and understated the price of gas.

I paid 28 cents a gallon for gas in 1972
I think the wage increased a year or so later

I‘m in my 60s and have heard that same “if we raise minimum wage, people will lose their job “ every time they raised the wage. didn’t happen

You're lying. Every time they raise the minimum wage, some minimum wage workers lose their jobs.
Usually, minimum wage wage increases are statistically insignificant and mostly absorbed by employers who usually don't need to raise prices.

If doubling the minimum wage will cause no harm, why are the proposing to phase it in over four years. Why wait?
Some on the left are advocating for the full price increase now; and, since it is a "good excuse" employers could ask for a tax break to help them deal with it until the multiplier takes effect.

Not really

Maybe during a gas war, but 28 cents was far below the average then. And believe me, in 1972 I was a pump man for Exxon so I know what I'm talking about.

But still - that misses the point. It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that price and wage controls harm the economy. But I continue to see this from an individual rights perspective. If someone wants to take job, for a wage that is below rightwinger's standards, why should that be illegal? Maybe they get something out of the job besides a paycheck - who knows. Point is, it's none of our business what someone else makes. And none fo the government's.

As expected, a deafening silence from the "we know better" crowd.
Because Capitalists can be unscrupulous due to Greed being Good under Capitalism and insist on "slave wages" so all of their employees qualify for means tested welfare to transfer that cost to the tax payer for their bottom line and profit motive.

Not really

Harvard tuition in 1964 was $1760. A new Cadillac cost $6388 the same year, 3 1/2 times what Harvard cost.

In 2021, Harvard tuition is 49,000, Cadillacs start at 36,000, significantly more than the new car.

The cost of college has far outpaced anything, and reining in costs is the key to Student Debt.

I couldn’t afford Harvard or a brand new Cadillac when I was a kid.

I went to a State University and drove a VW Beetle
On minimum wage

Not really

Maybe during a gas war, but 28 cents was far below the average then. And believe me, in 1972 I was a pump man for Exxon so I know what I'm talking about.

Dont know what state you were in
I was in upstate NY and gas was 28-32 cents a gallon
28 if you pumped it yourself

Some on the left are advocating for the full price increase now; and, since it is a "good excuse" employers could ask for a tax break to help them deal with it until the multiplier takes effect.
I hear they are asking for an increase to $15 by 2024

Not really

I couldn’t afford Harvard or a brand new Cadillac when I was a kid.

I went to a State University and drove a VW Beetle
On minimum wage

A VW was $1500 in 1964, less than a Harvard education. And I'm sure it costs more than state college.

Tuition is what is out of line, that's the point.

Not gonna answer the question?

You're lying. Every time they raise the minimum wage, some minimum wage workers lose their jobs.
Usually, minimum wage wage increases are statistically insignificant and mostly absorbed by employers who usually don't need to raise prices.
Especially since most of them are paying above minimum wage to begin with.

I hear they are asking for an increase to $15 by 2024
Yeah. Why the delay? If the raise would cause no harm, why not go for it all now? Why should the poor people (who will supposedly benefit) have to wait?

It added trillions to our debt.

The corporate tax cut? Show your math.

Easy
Debt equals revenue minus spending

We slashed revenue without reducing spending = DEBT

You said trillions. Show your math.

It added trillions to our debt.

President Trump’s tax handout is estimated to cost $1.9 trillion between 2018 and 2027,

Thanks for admitting your error.

Forum List

Back