Sick and tired of US debate on raising the min. wage.

But still - that misses the point. It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that price and wage controls harm the economy. But I continue to see this from an individual rights perspective. If someone wants to take job, for a wage that is below rightwinger's standards, why should that be illegal? Maybe they get something out of the job besides a paycheck - who knows. Point is, it's none of our business what someone else makes. And none fo the government's.

As expected, a deafening silence from the "we know better" crowd.
Because Capitalists can be unscrupulous due to Greed being Good under Capitalism and insist on "slave wages" so all of their employees qualify for means tested welfare to transfer that cost to the tax payer for their bottom line and profit motive.

Capitalize "essences"! Are we in for more stoner poetry too?

If your beef is with welfare, then reduce welfare. But why can't an individual take a job for whatever wage they want? Why should government dictate the matter?

Raise it...Go Ahead.....the sooner Biden ruins the job market and brings on another recession the sooner we can expose his destructive ideology....and get America back on the road to MingAGA!!!!

Minimum wage is a horseshit issue. But, it stirs up the dummies and gives government more power - so it's irresistible to Democrats.
It is a horseshit issue
It should have been raised 10 years ago and future raises should be tied to inflation

You know why it wasn't? Because politicians are afraid of getting voted out of office for fucking up the economy.
Raising minimum wage does not fuk up the economy
Cutting corporate taxes by 40 percent did

Why would companies being able to investment more money into the economy... cause a problem in the economy? That makes no logical sense.

Further, I pretty sure I heard you in the past say that corporations were off shoring jobs out of the country, because labor is cheaper.......... now you are suggesting that increasing the cost of labor could not possibly harm the economy.

Do you not see those two claims are mutually exclusive?

Only those companies did not use the 40 percent tax cut to invest in the economy, they bought back stock

Guess what? The minimum wage worker will invest almost all of that $15 into the economy
And how will the Minimum wage worker that loses his or her job invest the $0 that they will then be making? You don't care about THOSE people though...do you, Winger? The people with few job skills? The young people just starting out? Those are the people that will really be affected by this. You don't give a crap about them though...do you?

I‘m in my 60s and have heard that same “if we raise minimum wage, people will lose their job “ every time they raised the wage. didn’t happen
Market compensates
Sure, and how many times was it doubled overnight?

Never had to wait 12 years for an increase

Employers have benefitted from a frozen minimum wage all that time. They also received a 40 percent tax cut in 2017

We should have demanded a minimum wage increase at that time but Republicans said FUK the workers
And none of that is relevant to the impact of a sharp and sudden increase in the MW without giving the job market time to adjust. They killed George Washington while trying to cure him. Giving a patient a dose of morphine can allow him to avoid excruciating pain. Give him too much and you kill him. Surely you can see that.

I‘m in my 60s and have heard that same “if we raise minimum wage, people will lose their job “ every time they raised the wage. didn’t happen

You're lying. Every time they raise the minimum wage, some minimum wage workers lose their jobs.

And Congress has known that - which is why they've never raised it a significant amount.

But still - that misses the point. It's obvious to anyone with a basic grasp of economics that price and wage controls harm the economy. But I continue to see this from an individual rights perspective. If someone wants to take job, for a wage that is below rightwinger's standards, why should that be illegal? Maybe they get something out of the job besides a paycheck - who knows. Point is, it's none of our business what someone else makes. And none fo the government's.
If you want to break into a new career, a great way to do it is through an apprenticeship where you are paid little in exchange for invaluable work experience. That should be illegal according to them.

LOL - because it's always been ridiculously low, dumbass. You know, like you've been saying throughout this thread.

I worked minimum wage for five years making $2.10 to $2.35
It wasn‘t ridiculously low. I was able to pay my college tuition working just three months a year.

$7.25 is ridiculously low. it doesn’t approach paying a kids tuition. They have to make up the difference by borrowing money

The price of Tuition has gotten out of hand, not the minimum wage.

The rise in tuition far exceeds the increase in prices for Cadillacs , booze, TV sets, etc.

Not really
Lets look at cars. Min wage workers want to buy a car.

When I made $2.10 an hour (1972) minimum wage, I could buy a new car on six months salary
At $7.25 it would take over a year today

How about gas for that car?
My $2.10 minimum wage would buy 7 gallons of gas
That $7.25 will only buy 3 today

It would take a $14.50 wage to get the buying power I had in 1972
So, IOW, the value of the money you are paid has come down, and you want to accelerate that decline by making what used to buy an hour's labor now buy only half that.

If doubling the minimum wage will cause no harm, why are the proposing to phase it in over four years. Why wait?
Some on the left are advocating for the full price increase now; and, since it is a "good excuse" employers could ask for a tax break to help them deal with it until the multiplier takes effect.
Not gonna answer the question?
If you've never run into that poster before, you're in for a treat.

LOL - because it's always been ridiculously low, dumbass. You know, like you've been saying throughout this thread.

It wasn‘t ridiculously low. I was able to pay my college tuition working just three months a year.

$7.25 is ridiculously low. it doesn’t approach paying a kids tuition. They have to make up the difference by borrowing money

The rise in tuition far exceeds the increase in prices for Cadillacs , booze, TV sets, etc.

Not really

When I made $2.10 an hour (1972) minimum wage, I could buy a new car on six months salary

1612460844825.png

CPI Inflation Calculator (bls.gov)

Almost. Also.......Minimum wage was only $1.60 in 1972

1612461042735.png

Not really

View attachment 452927

CPI Inflation Calculator (bls.gov)

Almost. Also.......Minimum wage was only $1.60 in 1972

View attachment 452929

Interesting. Also, Harvard's 1964 tuition of $1760 would only be $14,800 if it had risen in tandem with everything else. The actual Harvard tuition is $49,000.

If doubling the minimum wage will cause no harm, why are the proposing to phase it in over four years. Why wait?
Some on the left are advocating for the full price increase now; and, since it is a "good excuse" employers could ask for a tax break to help them deal with it until the multiplier takes effect.
If you've never run into that poster before, you're in for a treat.
LOL - I'm quite familiar with daniel's nonsense.

Minimum wage is a horseshit issue. But, it stirs up the dummies and gives government more power - so it's irresistible to Democrats.
It is a horseshit issue
It should have been raised 10 years ago and future raises should be tied to inflation

You know why it wasn't? Because politicians are afraid of getting voted out of office for fucking up the economy.

Why would companies being able to investment more money into the economy... cause a problem in the economy? That makes no logical sense.

Further, I pretty sure I heard you in the past say that corporations were off shoring jobs out of the country, because labor is cheaper.......... now you are suggesting that increasing the cost of labor could not possibly harm the economy.

Only those companies did not use the 40 percent tax cut to invest in the economy, they bought back stock

Guess what? The minimum wage worker will invest almost all of that $15 into the economy
And how will the Minimum wage worker that loses his or her job invest the $0 that they will then be making? You don't care about THOSE people though...do you, Winger? The people with few job skills? The young people just starting out? Those are the people that will really be affected by this. You don't give a crap about them though...do you?

Market compensates
Show me where they've EVER raised it this much, Winger!
You are right about the market compensating. It's why you're seeing so many self serve kiosks in places like fast food restaurants and the grocery store. That's the market getting itself ready for higher labor costs.

It is a horseshit issue

Market compensates
You are right about the market compensating. It's why you're seeing so many self serve kiosks in places like fast food restaurants and the grocery store. That's the market getting itself ready for higher labor costs.

Not an excuse after you have frozen it for 12 years.

Congress has not done its job in maintaining the minimum wage. Time to take it away from them and give automatic cost of living adjustments like they do with Social Security

Social Security gets a 2 percent increase, min wage should increase at the same rate

It is a horseshit issue

Market compensates
Sure, and how many times was it doubled overnight?

Never had to wait 12 years for an increase

Employers have benefitted from a frozen minimum wage all that time. They also received a 40 percent tax cut in 2017

We should have demanded a minimum wage increase at that time but Republicans said FUK the workers
Workers pay increased after that tax cut because the economy was so strong! They also had jobs with some of the lowest unemployment numbers we've ever seen! What you want to do is going to bring the economy to a halt and see unemployment numbers stay lousy for years! That's what we're going to see now with this ill thought out increase!

It is a horseshit issue

Market compensates

Congress has not done its job in maintaining the minimum wage. Time to take it away from them and give automatic cost of living adjustments like they do with Social Security

Social Security gets a 2 percent increase, min wage should increase at the same rate

If the minimum wage had risen at same rate as as Social Security checks since 2009, it would be $8.54 today.

Not $15, not even $9.

Not really

Ah, why would anyone making minimum wage even consider buying a new car?

It is a horseshit issue

Market compensates

You act as if there is nowhere a MW can earn more than the current MW, ever. Many states and cities have long surpassed the current federal MW, thus rendering it pretty much moot. Perhaps that's your real problem with the situation, you want the federal government controlling the job market.

I have no standing or a petty cash fund to convince Congress of the merits.

You're lying. Every time they raise the minimum wage, some minimum wage workers lose their jobs.
Usually, minimum wage wage increases are statistically insignificant and mostly absorbed by employers who usually don't need to raise prices.
Especially since most of them are paying above minimum wage to begin with.
In my opinion, the minimum wage should be high enough so Labor does not need Big Government nanny-Statism which is more expensive due to the lower multiplier generated by typical Government spending. We could be reducing the Cost of Government by increasing the minimum wage. Not sure why right wingers have any problem with that at all.

Usually, minimum wage wage increases are statistically insignificant and mostly absorbed by employers who usually don't need to raise prices.
Especially since most of them are paying above minimum wage to begin with.
In my opinion, the minimum wage should be high enough so Labor does not need Big Government nanny-Statism which is more expensive due to the lower multiplier generated by typical Government spending. We could be reducing the Cost of Government by increasing the minimum wage. Not sure why right wingers have any problem with that at all.
Because that turns businesses into welfare distribution centers. If society deems it important and correct to support everyone, society needs to collect the taxes and send the checks. And I know what you mean by Labor. You don't mean just those working or wanting to work.

I hear they are asking for an increase to $15 by 2024
Yeah. Why the delay? If the raise would cause no harm, why not go for it all now? Why should the poor people (who will supposedly benefit) have to wait?
Because right wingers seem to "hate it" when the Poor may benefit and they are unwilling to go along with it and ask for a tax break to help with transition to the higher wage.

Forum List

Back