Simlarities: Buddhism and Christianity

Q: Do you think it is possible to be both Christian and Buddhist at the same time?

"I believe it is possible to progress along a spiritual path and reconcile Christianity with Buddhism. But once a certain degree of realization has been reached, a choice between the two paths will become necessary. I recently gave a series of teachings in the United States and one of these teachings was about patience and tolerance. At the end there was a ceremony for taking the Bodhisattva Vows. A Christian priest who was in the audience wanted to take these vows. I asked him if he had the right to, and he replied that yes, of course, he could take these vows and still remain a Christian."
Dalai Lama Answers Questions on Various Topics

(If anyone is interested in the knowing what the bodhisattva vows are I would be happy to share.)

Q: Do you think it is possible to be both Christian and Buddhist at the same time?

"I believe it is possible to progress along a spiritual path and reconcile Christianity with Buddhism. But once a certain degree of realization has been reached, a choice between the two paths will become necessary. I recently gave a series of teachings in the United States and one of these teachings was about patience and tolerance. At the end there was a ceremony for taking the Bodhisattva Vows. A Christian priest who was in the audience wanted to take these vows. I asked him if he had the right to, and he replied that yes, of course, he could take these vows and still remain a Christian."

(If anyone is interested in the knowing what the bodhisattva vows are I would be happy to share.)

I would much prefer to hear why taking one path or the other is necessary.

Well then, in the name of Peace...another similarity with the wild and crazy tongue, not being good....in both religions! :D

That's an interesting question for anyone on a spiritual path. I'm not sure if it's necessary for all people to take up a path of practice. It is if you think there is such a thing as enlightenment.

For me, since the Buddhist path makes sense to me it becomes a question of trusting that there is suffering, an end to suffering and a path that leads to the end of suffering. It is considering the great potential that human beings have and having a passionate interest in training in meditation as methods to bring out that positive potential.

Great question, dillo. I could probably consider that question for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

That's an interesting question for anyone on a spiritual path. I'm not sure if it's necessary for all people to take up a path of practice. It is if you think there is such a thing as enlightenment.

For me, since the Buddhist path makes sense to me it becomes a question of trusting that there is suffering, an end to suffering and a path that leads to the end of suffering. It is considering the great potential that human beings have and having a passionate interest in training in meditation as methods to bring out that positive potential.

Great question, dillo. I could probably consider that question for the rest of my life.

The Dalai Lama made the statement. Surely he can explain it.

I'm sure he can. He's a skillful speaker and a wise and compassionate man. I hope you get the opportunity to ask him your question.

I'm sure he can. He's a skillful speaker and a wise and compassionate man. I hope you get the opportunity to ask him your question.

It's such an obvious question that it begs an answer. No one other than myself has pursued it ?

both religions for some reason, state that one must choose a path....and in Christianity, warning is given to be careful because the path is narrow...

Could be a tactic of the clergy of these religions to keep people coming back to their church/temple...someday, I HOPE to find out...if I am worthy of such information! :D (the church might say no, but I will leave that up to our Judge, when the day comes)

there are too many similarities among many of the religions of the world that I can't see how they are all not coming from the same root source tens of thousands of years ago...but with travel and dispersing, the oral legends lost some or were manipulated somehow....?

both religions for some reason, state that one must choose a path....and in Christianity, warning is given to be careful because the path is narrow...

Could be a tactic of the clergy of these religions to keep people coming back to their church/temple...someday, I HOPE to find out...if I am worthy of such information! :D (the church might say no, but I will leave that up to our Judge, when the day comes)

there are too many similarities among many of the religions of the world that I can't see how they are all not coming from the same root source tens of thousands of years ago...but with travel and dispersing, the oral legends lost some or were manipulated somehow....?

I think if you want to go deeper in your path it becomes a question of focus. If all paths are equal how could one choose. Obviously, something appeals to each of us particularly to choose one path over another.

It's rare, but I have met several ordained Catholic priests practicing Buddhist meditation.

Madeline--

I thought you may find this article interesting. It talks about the interface between Buddhists and Catholics in America:

The influence of Buddhist thought in some Catholic circles has been evident since the 1960s. In the wake of the Second Vatican Council's call for respectful dialogue with other religions, many Catholics, including many priests and religious, dove headlong into studying Buddhism. Much was made (and still is) of the many "common characteristics" of Catholicism and Buddhism, especially in the realm of ethics. External similarities, including monks, meditation, and prayer beads, seemed to indicate a newly discovered closeness between the followers of Christ and Buddha. While some helpful interreligious dialogue and study was accomplished, some Catholics mistakenly concluded that Buddhism was just as "true" as Christianity, and that any criticism of Buddhism was "arrogant" and "triumphalistic."

This attitude still exists, of course, as do attempts to combine the two faiths. It's not uncommon for Catholic retreat centers to offer a steady diet of classes and lectures about Zen Buddhism, Christ and Buddha, and even "Zen Catholicism." Their bookstores feature titles such as Zen Spirit, Christian Spirit, Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings, and Going Home: Jesus and Buddha As Brothers. Comparisons are often made between Christian mysticism and Buddhist mysticism, at times suggesting that the two are essentially identical in character and intent.
http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/clarkolson_cathbuddh_feb05.asp

Last edited:

It's such an obvious question that it begs an answer. No one other than myself has pursued it ?

Many people can ask the same question but the answer is not always the same. I've seen Buddhist teachers address questions in the deepest way possible, taking into account the individuals question beneath the question. If that makes any sense.?

I think if you want to go deeper in your path it becomes a question of focus. If all paths are equal how could one choose. Obviously, something appeals to each of us particularly to choose one path over another.

It's rare, but I have met several ordained Catholic priests practicing Buddhist meditation.

Madeline--

I thought you may find this article interesting. It talks about the interface between Buddhists and Catholics in America:
Catholicism and Buddhism | Anthony E. Clark and Carl E. Olson | IgnatiusInsight.com

Christ taught us to meditate...through fasting, separation, and purifying ones mind....He spent 40 days and 40 nights, fasting and in the dessert for solitude, to meditate and pray....he was met by demons or Satan and tempted, but stuck to the Words of His chosen Path to combat this, He used Scripture to fight off the Demon. Several times he left the apostles to be alone to meditate and pray.

Many people can ask the same question but the answer is not always the same. I've seen Buddhist teachers address questions in the deepest way possible, taking into account the individuals question beneath the question. If that makes any sense.?

Sure. I'm not asking for "THE" answer. I'm curious to know if ANY answer has been proffered.

Sure. I'm not asking for "THE" answer. I'm curious to know if ANY answer has been proffered.

"I would much prefer to hear why taking one path or the other is necessary." dilloduck

You're asking why would anyone feel motivated or that it was necessary to take up a spiritual path. I can answer that only for myself, but I don't think I'm that different from other human beings.

Why taking the path of the Buddha was necessary for me was because of suffering. I heard about the Four Noble Truths, an introductory Buddhist teaching soon after my father committed suicide. I was quite devastated by this life event and in truth life was all about suffering.

The Four Noble Truths are 1. Life is suffering. 2. The cause of suffering is not understanding 'how things truly are' that everything is impermanent. 3. There is such a thing as the cessation of suffering (Enlightenment). 4. The truth of the path that leads to the cessation of suffering.(Buddhist meditation).

If life is always satisfying then there would be little motivation to take up a spiritual path. JMO.

Last edited:
"I believe it is possible to progress along a spiritual path and reconcile Christianity with Buddhism. But once a certain degree of realization has been reached, a choice between the two paths will become necessary."

DL

Apparently one can take the Christian path or the Buddhist path until a certain point ( where a degree of realization has been reached).

What is that point and what is that degree of realization ?

Jesus clearly stated that life on earth would be full of suffering.

"I believe it is possible to progress along a spiritual path and reconcile Christianity with Buddhism. But once a certain degree of realization has been reached, a choice between the two paths will become necessary."

DL

Apparently one can take the Christian path or the Buddhist path until a certain point ( where a degree of realization has been reached).

I think that people choose one path over another based on what those paths offer to the individual. Jesus may have stated that life is suffering, (show me the passage) but it took the Buddha's way of putting it for me to accept that. I spent alot of time comparing religious paths before settling into Buddhism. It occurred for me gradually. I started to meditate and saw some progress. This encouraged me to keep going.

All I heard about in Christianity was sin and redemption. Those terms didn't work for me, and the Bible didn't speak to me much. The best I ever got to understand the deeper meaning of Christian teachings was in the book, I AM THE LIFE, by Murdo MacDonald Bayne. Bayne was a Christian minister who studied Buddhism in Tibet. I started out studying his books and he bridged Christian and Buddhist mysticism for me. Once I started to attend silent Buddhist meditation retreats I gradually shifted over to just Buddhist teachings. I still find some teachings of Jesus to be quite beautful and inspiring. I just don't believe in a Creator God or a redeemer. The Buddha taught that we have to do the work ourselves. No one can take your karma away from you. We have to free ourselves.

Last edited:

DL

I think that people choose one path over another based on what those paths offer to the individual. Jesus may have stated that life is suffering, (show me the passage) but it took the Buddha's way of putting it for me to accept that. I spent alot of time comparing religious paths before settling into Buddhism. It occurred for me gradually. I started to meditate and saw some progress. This encouraged me to keep going.

All I heard about in Christianity was sin and redemption. Those terms didn't work for me.

I fully understand what you think on the topic but it would seem to me that the DL is speaking of a specific point where the Buddhist path and the Christian path MUST diverge.
Remember---he claims that Christians and Buddhists can walk the same path for awhile. The decision does not have to be made from the very start.

I'll look for some verses for you.

DL

All I heard about in Christianity was sin and redemption. Those terms didn't work for me.

I fully understand what you think on the topic but it would seem to me that the DL is speaking of a specific point where the Buddhist path and the Christian path MUST diverge.
Remember---he claims that Christians and Buddhists can walk the same path for awhile. The decision does not have to be made from the very start.

Thanks. Verses would be good.

Here is His Holiness again:

"To sum up all that we've discussed, I feel there is tremendous convergence and a potential for mutual enrichment through dialogue between the Buddhist and Christian tradition, especially in the areas of ethics and spiritual practice, such as the practices of compassion, love, meditation, and the enhancement of tolerance. And I feel that this dialogue could go very far and reach a deep level of understanding. But when it comes to a philosophical or metaphysical dialogue I feel that we must part company. The entire Buddhist worldview is based on a philosophical standpoint in which the central thought is the principle of interdependence, how all things and events come into being purely as a result of interaction between causes and conditions. Within that philosophical worldview it is impossible to have any room for an atemporal, eternal, absolute truth. Nor is it possible to accommodate the concept of a divine Creation. Similarly, for a Christian whose entire metaphysical worldview is based in belief in the Creation and a divine Creator, the idea that all things and events arise out of mere interaction between causes and conditinos has no place within that worldview. So in the realm of metaphysics it becomes problematic at a certain point, and the two traditions must diverge." The author of this quote?: His Holiness the Dalai Lama in _The Good Heart_ (Wisdom, 1996), 81-82.

The Dalai Lama then went on to state, "The conceptions of God and Creation are a point of departure between Buddhists and Christians" , and that "If you are Christian it is better to develop spiritually within your religion and be a genuine, good Christian. If you are a Buddhist, be a genuine Buddhist" . He then used illustrated his feelings here by quoting a Tibetan expression, which says, "Don't try to put a yak's head on a sheep's body" .

DL

All I heard about in Christianity was sin and redemption. Those terms didn't work for me, and the Bible didn't speak to me much. The best I ever got to understand the deeper meaning of Christian teachings was in the book, I AM THE LIFE, by Murdo MacDonald Bayne. Bayne was a Christian minister who studied Buddhism in Tibet. I started out studying his books and he bridged Christian and Buddhist mysticism for me. Once I started to attend silent Buddhist meditation retreats I gradually shifted over to just Buddhist teachings. I still find some teachings of Jesus to be quite beautful and inspiring. I just don't believe in a Creator God or a redeemer. The Buddha taught that we have to do the work ourselves. No one can take your karma away from you. We have to free ourselves.

Why does Buddha bother to tell people that they have to do the work themselves ? Why does Buddha find it necessary to describe the path to enlightenment ? He actually operates much the same way as Jesus did. He guides.

DL

Why does Buddha bother to tell people that they have to do the work themselves ? Why does Buddha find it necessary to describe the path to enlightenment ? He actually operates much the same way as Jesus did. He guides.

The Buddha did not teach for quite some time after his enlightenment. He had the same questions you have. The difference between Buddha and Christ is that people think that Jesus was God and man. The Buddha was a man, but one who awakened. You're correct. He is a guide.

The Buddha doesn't tell us to take everything on faith. He stresses an empirical approach. In other words, try it, and see if it's true or not. Only follow what is true. This may or may not be helpful:

"When we learn to stop and be truly alive in the present moment, we are in touch with what’s going on within and around us. We aren’t carried away by the past, the future, our thinking, ideas, emotions, and projects. Often we think that our ideas about things are the reality of that thing. Our notion of the Buddha may just be an idea and may be far from reality. Buddha is not a reality that exists outside of us, but is our own true nature. The Buddha outside ourselves was a human being who was born, lived, and died. For us to seek such a Buddha would be to seek a shadow, a ghost Buddha, and at some point our idea of Buddha would become an obstacle for us."

http://www.tricycle.com/insights/simply-stop

Last edited:

Thanks. Verses would be good.

Here is His Holiness again:

"To sum up all that we've discussed, I feel there is tremendous convergence and a potential for mutual enrichment through dialogue between the Buddhist and Christian tradition, especially in the areas of ethics and spiritual practice, such as the practices of compassion, love, meditation, and the enhancement of tolerance. And I feel that this dialogue could go very far and reach a deep level of understanding. But when it comes to a philosophical or metaphysical dialogue I feel that we must part company. The entire Buddhist worldview is based on a philosophical standpoint in which the central thought is the principle of interdependence, how all things and events come into being purely as a result of interaction between causes and conditions. Within that philosophical worldview it is impossible to have any room for an atemporal, eternal, absolute truth. Nor is it possible to accommodate the concept of a divine Creation. Similarly, for a Christian whose entire metaphysical worldview is based in belief in the Creation and a divine Creator, the idea that all things and events arise out of mere interaction between causes and conditinos has no place within that worldview. So in the realm of metaphysics it becomes problematic at a certain point, and the two traditions must diverge." The author of this quote?: His Holiness the Dalai Lama in _The Good Heart_ (Wisdom, 1996), 81-82.

The Dalai Lama then went on to state, "The conceptions of God and Creation are a point of departure between Buddhists and Christians" , and that "If you are Christian it is better to develop spiritually within your religion and be a genuine, good Christian. If you are a Buddhist, be a genuine Buddhist" . He then used illustrated his feelings here by quoting a Tibetan expression, which says, "Don't try to put a yak's head on a sheep's body" .

Apparently the Dalai Lama is convinced that there is no common path for all men because the thinks he understands them all and approaches the problem by simply looking at dogma.

Forum List

Back