🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

SJ 19. Constitutional Amendment to shut down Political speech

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
I don't care if you agree with the Citizens United decision or not.. It should scare the hell out of everyone that Harry Reid and the Democrats want to amend the Constitution to give Government the power to say what political speech is allowed and what isn't.

Yes.. Freedom of Speech, especially Political speech is messy.. but the idea that any body of Government can determine what is legal and what isn't just scares the hell out me.

Text - S.J.Res.19 - 113th Congress 2013-2014 A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to contributions and expenditures intended to affect elections. Congress.gov Library of Congress

I've called my Senators and I highly recommend anyone who cares about our Freedoms to do the same and kill this.

And for those who may be supporting this.. Just think about this.. Democrats won't always be in charge. Do you want Republicans determining what kind of Liberal speech is protected and what isn't?

i don't think it would do what you claim it does
``Section 1. To advance democratic self-government and political
equality, and to protect the integrity of government and the electoral
process, Congress and the States may regulate and set reasonable limits
on the raising and spending of money by candidates and others to
influence elections.
``Section 2. Congress and the States shall have power to implement
and enforce this article by appropriate legislation, and may
distinguish between natural persons and corporations or other
artificial entities created by law, including by prohibiting such
entities from spending money to influence elections.
``Section 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant
Congress or the States the power to abridge the freedom of the
press.''.

that does not change what speech is allowed and what isn't. it only affects whether government can put limits on campaign contributions and expenditures.

Forum List

Back