So, Lion Meat is legal hunh?

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
These links date back to 2012 and 2013, even.....long before the sad tale of Cecil

Lion Meat Buy Exotic Meats Game Meats on sale Exotic Meat Market

Lion Meat Is Perfectly Legal in America Yes Really TakePart

US gets a taste for lion burgers Emma Bryce Environment The Guardian
In America over the past few months, a battle has been raging over big cat burgers. Lion meat, sourced from captive-raised populations in the US, crops up in restaurants every once in a while, and each time it provokes the same response: at one pole, rage about the unsound ethics of eating the 'king of the jungle'; at the other, excitement about quaffing the big cat's flesh.

I really don't understand the uproar about the killing of that particular lion. I can understand why people think it is a wrong thing to do but, to be quite frank, there are a shit ton of cattle that are slaughtered each and every day without a blink of an eye and that is a far worse death.

Some people just need something to loudly trumpet against even if it is nonsensical. The man did the hunt illegally and killed the lion illegally. He will be prosecuted. Other than that there really is nothing to be in an uproar about. It should not be a larger story than a blip on page 10.

I really don't understand the uproar about the killing of that particular lion. I can understand why people think it is a wrong thing to do but, to be quite frank, there are a shit ton of cattle that are slaughtered each and every day without a blink of an eye and that is a far worse death.

Some people just need something to loudly trumpet against even if it is nonsensical. The man did the hunt illegally and killed the lion illegally. He will be prosecuted. Other than that there really is nothing to be in an uproar about. It should not be a larger story than a blip on page 10.

Yup.

Poaching is a huge and tragic problem that is causing the disappearance of many species. I was more upset with the picture of him next to Rhino. This incident could have been used as a stepping stone to a larger discussion on poaching instead of a tempest in teapot on one particular animal. It's sad but it's happening on a horrific scale around the world.

Yup.

Poaching is a huge and tragic problem that is causing the disappearance of many species. I was more upset with the picture of him next to Rhino. This incident could have been used as a stepping stone to a larger discussion on poaching instead of a tempest in teapot on one particular animal. It's sad but it's happening on a horrific scale around the world.
That, I agree, is a MUCH larger issue.

I would have been much more interested in a story about real world effects and the harm of poaching rather than this over sensationalized garbage on the killing of an animal that was used to humans. It shows how truly fucked up our priorities over here are - we eat up the sensational nonsense while ignoring the real problems.

It must taste awful. The only reason people do something like that is it's a status symbol.
Why do you think lion's meat would taste awful? ...... :cool:
It's a cat. Have you ever looked at your cat and imagined how it would taste after roasting over an open fire?
Cat, as I understand it, is a delicacy in many places.

I do not imagine that it would be very good though - likely gamey and lacking fat. A key to flavor.

Yup.

Cecil wasn't poached

I doubt that Murder, Inc. is selling baby parts as food....but if they are, then (as Mrs. Rodham-Clinton/Lewinsky might say), what difference does it make? Hell, lions are obviously higher up the list of things-of-which-liberals-are-concerned than are little humans, right?

Yup.

Cecil wasn't poached
?

Coyote didn't make the claim that Cecil was. Just pointed out that the pic next to the rino (a commonly poached animal) was worse than killin Cecil. Of course, I don't think that the rino in question was poached either. I think that all the previous hunts were legal but it read to me that Coyote just was pointing out there were better points to focus on rather than the death of a single lion.

Yup.

Cecil wasn't poached

Iffy. The guides (who aren't given much attention in this) supposedly lured him out of the preserve. Technically legal, ethically not.

Yup.

Cecil wasn't poached
?

Coyote didn't make the claim that Cecil was. Just pointed out that the pic next to the rino (a commonly poached animal) was worse than killin Cecil. Of course, I don't think that the rino in question was poached either. I think that all the previous hunts were legal but it read to me that Coyote just was pointing out there were better points to focus on rather than the death of a single lion.

The story of Cecil became one huge blitz against one person - this dentist guy. Believe it or not - though I think he's an ass, killing all kinds of animals he's not going to eat, just to "prove" something - what he did wasn't illegal. The lion was out of the preserve and he trusted his paid-for guides to follow the rules. I feel a bit sorry for him in a weird way because I don't think the fury should be on him but rather the whole enterprise of "big game hunting", endangered species, poaching etc. It's a story that could have been larger but instead, it turned into a hatefest on the dentist.

Yup.

Cecil wasn't poached

He was dry roasted (the devil made me say that).

It must taste awful. The only reason people do something like that is it's a status symbol.

You ever see the brochures for Alaska's Kodiak Bears? The Alaskan Chamber of Commerce claims Grizzly bear meat is inedible. Horrible taste. Tough to cut and chew. With a horrible aroma. Etc.

That's all BS.

The fact is Grizzly bear meat is THE tastiest meat on the planet. Grizzly bears were almost hunted to extinction during the 19th century because of this.

The toughest cut of meat on a Griz is akin to pork tenderloin.

I'd wager Lion is equally tasty.

Yup.

Cecil wasn't poached

Iffy. The guides (who aren't given much attention in this) supposedly lured him out of the preserve. Technically legal, ethically not.
That's a spin on what actually happened. He was hunting outside of the preserve, which is legal, and he was luring any lion he could, with no way to know where it came from. That he was targeting a preserve lion is just speculation on the part of those wanting to put him in the worst light possible.

You ever see the brochures for Alaska's Kodiak Bears? The Alaskan Chamber of Commerce claims Grizzly bear meat is inedible. Horrible taste. Tough to cut and chew. With a horrible aroma. Etc.

That's all BS.

The fact is Grizzly bear meat is THE tastiest meat on the planet. Grizzly bears were almost hunted to extinction during the 19th century because of this.

The toughest cut of meat on a Griz is akin to pork tenderloin.

I'd wager Lion is equally tasty.
I wonder how that meat would taste if the bear was wounded and fleeing for 40 hours

Forum List

Back