So What Do You Think Is A Fair And Decent Wage?...

This isn't remedial mathh class. There is no wage that is fair for the avergae american. The merits of skill, etc, which the market works out, will tell you what a position within a given field will pay as far as wage.

No one person, just like no central planner has the right answer to sucha quesiton. And if they try to manipulate the market forces, it will result in unseen consequences. Such as the fed minimum wage has done for the over 30 years. We alsways need to increase that wage dont we? At the same time, we price workers out of work. Affecting the least skilled and poor the worst of all.

Sorry, dude. It's a dumb question.

Come on, you have to have a number. Put all the Political ideology stuff aside. How much do you personally feel is an appropriate Wage for an average American to survive on? Feel free to take your time and think about it.

Wow, i'm beginning to see how difficult a question this really is. I'm struggling with a number myself. I mean, so many factors involved. Gas Prices, Food Prices, Electricity, Rents/Mortgages and so on. I would advise taking some time to think it through before rushing to type something. It's a rough one.

It's an impossible one, is what it is.

Yeah, it is a very tough question. I should have said just estimate and give a round about figure. But i still think it's a fascinating question. I really am interested in seeing what most Americans think is an adequate income to survive in this Country. Is it $5.00 an hr? Is it $10.00 an hr? So many factors to consider.

So What Do You Think Is A Fair And Decent Wage?....

That used to be a matter between the employer and employee.

But now that we are a welfare state, that is now a matter for the politicians to decide. It all depends on how bad they want to be elected.

Yeah, i wasn't going for Political debate on this one. I'm just interested in the numbers. How much do you think an average American should be able to survive on?

From a purely economic standpoint that depends on your location. Someone in Topeka may settle for less than someone in NYC.

But I see that the usual "liberal" suspects are responding and to them it means how much should the federal government compel an employer to pay. Nothing voluntary for them.

Performance based pay in all fields where results can be assessed on both a quantitative and qualitative basis. No results, no salary. At the top CEO compensation should be a reflection of their company's performance, at the lower echelons as well. Employees should be treated as shareholders and work to make their institution better.

I hear ya, but put some numbers out there. How much is appropriate for an average American to survive on?

A single person can survive on $6.25 an hour depending on where they live.
efficiency apt
utilities
groceries

The quality of life issue implied in your post is relative. What makes you "happy" is not necessarily related to one's needs. If someone wants to earn more there are always options to do so. The problem that I see is that many people have more ambition than they have ability or drive.

Seems like you finally realized that there is no one single number, no one-size-fits-all, as it has been pointed out by more than one poster.

Yeah, i should have asked to just estimate and a give a round-about figure. Is $5.00 an hr. enough? Is $10.00 an hr. enough? It would have to be an estimated figure based on many variables. You have to consider things like Gas Prices, Food Prices, Rents/Mortgages etc... But i think you can come up with a number. It's just a question that requires some time to think about.

Performance based pay in all fields where results can be assessed on both a quantitative and qualitative basis. No results, no salary. At the top CEO compensation should be a reflection of their company's performance, at the lower echelons as well. Employees should be treated as shareholders and work to make their institution better.

I hear ya, but put some numbers out there. How much is appropriate for an average American to survive on?

efficiency apt
utilities
groceries

The quality of life issue implied in your post is relative. What makes you "happy" is not necessarily related to one's needs. If someone wants to earn more there are always options to do so. The problem that I see is that many people have more ambition than they have ability or drive.

$6.25 an hr? Really? Is that with children?

The wage should be any amount negotiated between the employee and employer. It could be $3.00 an hour or $50.00 an hour.

Just curious. I'm really interested in hearing what you all consider a fair & decent Wage. I'd like to get some straight-forward answers without the Political debates and diatribes. I'm only interested in the numbers. Just list the numbers you think an average American should be able to survive on. I think it's a very interesting and important question. It should be fascinating in terms of numbers, seeing what Americans think an average American can or should be able to survive on. Thanks all for your participation.

I don't get what the question is. Are you asking what a fair wage is or are you asking what a person should survive on? Obviously the wage would depend on what the job. I don't understand why you're being so vague about this. I can't answer this question without knowing what the line of work is.

efficiency apt
utilities
groceries

I took you to mean single as being one person.

The wage should be any amount negotiated between the employee and employer. It could be $3.00 an hour or $50.00 an hour.

But for you personally, what do you think is an adequate Wage for an average American to survive on? I'm not interested in what Businesses think is adequate, or the Political side. I'm just interested in what you personally think someone can survive on. I know it's not an exact science. Just think about it for a bit, and put a number out there.

For what part of the country? Should it be higher in the city, where the cost of living is higher?
Should it depend on the job being done and the skills required to do that job?
Should other employee perks be consider part of the wage or something separate?
Job wages should only be between the Employer and the Employee.

Last edited:
efficiency apt
utilities
groceries

I took you to mean single as being one person.

That's ok. I give you credit for throwing a number out there. You can specify for a single person or a person with a family. It's all good. Thank you.

Should people who don't need to work to survive be paid enough to support a family of four? This includes teenagers working in the summer for fall spending money; seniors looking for a small supplement and can't earn much, and bored housewives looking to get out of the house for a few hours each day.

Wow, i'm beginning to see how difficult a question this really is. I'm struggling with a number myself. I mean, so many factors involved. Gas Prices, Food Prices, Electricity, Rents/Mortgages and so on. I would advise taking some time to think it through before rushing to type something. It's a rough one.

It depends where you live, $10 an hour would be good in Mississipi but wouldn't even be enough for bus fare in New York.

For what part of the country? Should it be higher in the city, where the cost of living is higher?
Should it depend on the job being done and the skills required to do that job?
Should other employee perks be consider part of the wage or something separate?
Job wages should only be between the Employer and the Employee.

Yes it is a very difficult question. Many factors to consider. You just mentioned a few. But then there's Gas Prices, Food Prices, Rents/Mortgages etc etc... I'm just looking for an estimated figure.

Forum List

Back